Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miracle Warriors lost all save files with new Battery

Default Miracle Warriors lost all save files with new Battery

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will have some insight as to what might have caused my Miracle Warriors to lose all it's saved games/files.

I recently installed a new battery. And it was working. I have saved, reset and powered off many times and my saves were always fine.

Then just today, I found all my saves are gone. I tested by saving a new file and this new save is working (for now). I can power off, power on and reload this new save.

Did I make a cold solder joint? They looks shinny to me and I thought they were good. The battery came from Console5 and I'm sure they are a quality source.

Any thoughts?

Pictures attached.

file1-15.jpg

file-43.jpg
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

What voltage are you reading from the battery with it installed?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Yes, first check battery voltage. You can buy a cheap multimeter that will probably get the job done if you don't have one. You can also check voltage on the SRAM chip (maybe top right and bottom left pins?) to make sure it matches battery voltage.

Also, I guess it's possible that there was just some bug that caused the files to be erased.

Oh, and sometimes the tabs on those cheap batteries come unsecured, so you might want to just make sure that they are still attached to the battery well.

By the way, when you test the cart, be sure to remove it from the console for a few seconds. Turning off/on might not work.

I do own a voltage meter but I've never used it before. I'll have to learn how to do that.
    What voltage would be expected?
    Sega Dude

Set the V to "20" on the voltmeter, and the battery should read above 3 (usually the 2032s that I have read 3.25).

Thank you guys! I will try this out.
    Sega Dude

To read the voltage, you typically apply the red probe to the + or voltage side and the black probe to the - or gnd side of the device. In this case you just set the meter accordingly as Gryson stated above and put the probes on both battery terminals to see what voltage you are getting.

Same is done on the sram where you find which trace from the + off the battery goes to the sram chip and check voltage at that pin with the red probe and black probe to ground.

I can't find my Multi-Meter. I might have to buy another. Can anyone recommend a good quality entry level Multi-Meter?

I don't mind spending more than the min if you guys think it's worth while.

And thanks for specifics on how to do this. I really appreciate it.
    Sega Dude

OK, I got myself a multimeter, set it to V 20 and I tested the new battery that I installed in Miracle Warriors.

It measured at 0.63. Much lower than 3.0+.

Then I tested all of my remaining new and unused batteries and they all test at about 3.24.

I took one of these new batteries and installed it in Miracle Warriors. I then tested the battery again after installing it and right away I noticed the battery was measuring lower then 3.24.

In fact, as I held the probes in place I could see the voltage drop. It kept dropping until about 1.77.

Did I install it wrong? Could there be something wrong with the PCB?

The same day I installed the first new Miracle Warriors battery I also installed a new battery into my Phantasy Star. (this was 1-2 weeks ago)

I opened up Phantasy Star and tested it's new battery. It tested well and measured at 3.23. And my test save files still load.

What do you think is going on? Can I fix my Miracle Warriors?

I attached a picture just in case you can see some detail that I didn't think to include.

MW Battery Test.jpg
    Sega Dude

Does it read that way when you put the probes to the two solder joints on the back of the PCB also? It's a bit hard to see where you're actually touching the probes to.

But if that's happening, I have no idea why... somebody more knowledgeable will have to help out.

I meant to say that. I was touching the battery with the probes and not the solder joints.
    And the legs of the batteries seem very secure.
    Sega Dude

Road Rasher

if there's no shortcut between solder points, ram chip might be shorted internally and draining battery.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

That's a pretty unusual issue. Check the resistance between ground on the positive Rail and the resistance between VCC and Ground. That will tell you at least a little bit if there's a short. If your meter has a current mode (look for mAH) you could also measure the power draw along the positive side of the battery.

EDIT. I strongly suspect that small transistor is shorted out on your board. While the RAM chips rarely break, this seems much more likely to be the source of your excess power draw. Here's a replacement you can buy:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/KR1171SP28-P.../142836925865?

datasheet: https://www.alldatasheet.com/datashe...I/PST529F.html

It's an interesting chip, used for switching power instantaneously between the battery and the systems power input. I highly doubt it has much protection circuitry. If it has a minor short, it could be easily draining out your battery while power isn't on. It would make perfect sense.
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 05-03-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Measuring from the solder joints vs the battery legs shows the same result.

I'm going to order those replacement transistors you recommended segasonicfan. Even if they don't end up being the solution I don't mind trying.

It will feel great if I (we) can get this cart fixed.

Thanks guys for the help!
    Sega Dude

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

>>>Measuring from the solder joints vs the battery legs shows the same result>>>

You have to measure for resistance, i.e. ohms with the battery removed. It's a different type of measurement that every multimeter can do. You can look up online pretty easily how to do that and very useful for future projects.

I'm glad you decided to order the chips. Remember to get the orientation right and to only install it with the battery removed. I hope everything works out and you get the cart repaired

Thread Information