Quantcast

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Super retro trio tear down - Taking apart the SR3.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Not from the box, but if the system has pack-in controllers with Super NES connectors, that's a Version 2 guaranteed. If you want one of those Version 2 systems for a project, do yourself a favor and rebuild the audio circuit. It's complete garbage.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Not from the box, but if the system has pack-in controllers with Super NES connectors, that's a Version 2 guaranteed. If you want one of those Version 2 systems for a project, do yourself a favor and rebuild the audio circuit. It's complete garbage.
    Ah so the only way guaranteed is to get new really. sounds expensive aha. And yeah ive read around that the audio is hot garbage. Ive been messing around with the fc twin on this project and was amazed that the more common model has mono audio for the snes thats mixed with a simple 1k ohm resistor, and that they removed a radial cap on the left channel.
    If read into the past when you were on benheck forums and saw you were working on a audio amp for these models.

Its been a pain digging through to find the 50hz mod info and especailly the cic work.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

There's no guarantee a used Super Retro Trio is Version 2, it will most likely be Version 1. Brand new, though, you're most likely to come across Version 2.

I remember coming across such an FC Twin in... 2014, I think? I think I've seen something like 6 different board revisions, one of which is just a minor one to alter the Super NES board for the smaller TCT-970 chipset. I really hope the FC Twin didn't regress back to a reversed duty cycle NOAC like Version 1 from 2006.

As for the audio amp, you can take a look at this post: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post758369

The circuit was designed for the Super Retro Trio Version 1 but can be adapted to the FC Twin (omitting the Genesis audio, of course). I did detail a few changes to the circuit to make it more like the one on the Super NES, but I will restate them here:

-Replace R12 and R13 by 5.1Kohm resistors
    -Replace R22 and R23 by 24Kohm resistors
    -Replace R14, R15, R16, R17, R19, R21, R24 and R25 by 10Kohm resistors

If the NES side has correct duty cycles, but extreme distortion, add a 1Kohm pull-down resistor to the NOAC's raw audio output. At the same time, if NES audio is overblown or too quiet, use bigger/smaller resistors on R12 and R13.

You should keep this circuit in mind as well if you get a Super Retro Trio Version 2. Should you just use the Super NES board, you can omit the NES and Genesis sections of the amp.

Regarding the FC Twin lockout chip mod, you're going to have a very hard time unless you have an FC Twin Version 1 or Version 2. Those have the necessary footprints for a DIP lockout chip taken off of a cartridge. Version 3 and later eliminate that and instead have the Super NES audio amp in its place. You would probably be better off adding a SuperCIC instead like what the RetroDuo Portable and Super Retro Trio do (it's the small PIC microcontroller behind the cartridge slot).
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Thread Information