Quantcast

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Super retro trio tear down - Taking apart the SR3.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Not from the box, but if the system has pack-in controllers with Super NES connectors, that's a Version 2 guaranteed. If you want one of those Version 2 systems for a project, do yourself a favor and rebuild the audio circuit. It's complete garbage.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Not from the box, but if the system has pack-in controllers with Super NES connectors, that's a Version 2 guaranteed. If you want one of those Version 2 systems for a project, do yourself a favor and rebuild the audio circuit. It's complete garbage.
    Ah so the only way guaranteed is to get new really. sounds expensive aha. And yeah ive read around that the audio is hot garbage. Ive been messing around with the fc twin on this project and was amazed that the more common model has mono audio for the snes thats mixed with a simple 1k ohm resistor, and that they removed a radial cap on the left channel.
    If read into the past when you were on benheck forums and saw you were working on a audio amp for these models.

Its been a pain digging through to find the 50hz mod info and especailly the cic work.

There's no guarantee a used Super Retro Trio is Version 2, it will most likely be Version 1. Brand new, though, you're most likely to come across Version 2.

I remember coming across such an FC Twin in... 2014, I think? I think I've seen something like 6 different board revisions, one of which is just a minor one to alter the Super NES board for the smaller TCT-970 chipset. I really hope the FC Twin didn't regress back to a reversed duty cycle NOAC like Version 1 from 2006.

As for the audio amp, you can take a look at this post: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post758369

The circuit was designed for the Super Retro Trio Version 1 but can be adapted to the FC Twin (omitting the Genesis audio, of course). I did detail a few changes to the circuit to make it more like the one on the Super NES, but I will restate them here:

-Replace R12 and R13 by 5.1Kohm resistors
    -Replace R22 and R23 by 24Kohm resistors
    -Replace R14, R15, R16, R17, R19, R21, R24 and R25 by 10Kohm resistors

If the NES side has correct duty cycles, but extreme distortion, add a 1Kohm pull-down resistor to the NOAC's raw audio output. At the same time, if NES audio is overblown or too quiet, use bigger/smaller resistors on R12 and R13.

You should keep this circuit in mind as well if you get a Super Retro Trio Version 2. Should you just use the Super NES board, you can omit the NES and Genesis sections of the amp.

Regarding the FC Twin lockout chip mod, you're going to have a very hard time unless you have an FC Twin Version 1 or Version 2. Those have the necessary footprints for a DIP lockout chip taken off of a cartridge. Version 3 and later eliminate that and instead have the Super NES audio amp in its place. You would probably be better off adding a SuperCIC instead like what the RetroDuo Portable and Super Retro Trio do (it's the small PIC microcontroller behind the cartridge slot).

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I have taking a look at the black screen in ecco the dolphin 2 and 3, ( i asume not work directly in any tct-6801 based console).

It appear so strange. The game have one exception subrutine,at finish of these when is called first time, he made a rts, and then a rte and returns from exception.

I think for sume obscure reason the tct never return from the subrutine or return to some other direction where rte is executed.

But i not know the cause, the pal version of 2 works and he shared the sobrutine in beggining.

Anyone know program megadrive here,?. I need made a little program that take the registers and show it in screen. To try understand the fault and search a fix.

My test was so simply. I generate a tracert with exodus. Then folow the tracert i exchange the jumps to the subrutine that show in screen this game was for ntsc only etc etc... So simply the last time the tct show it is just in the exception subrutine. Where the emulator show it at return from it.
    Last edited by Tic; 03-18-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Solved!. Search with hex editor in the rom"
    : 3C 80 4C DF 7C 18

And change the 3C 80 to - >4e 71.

This fix the black screen in tct-6801 in ecco de dolphin 2 and 3.

The activation of the external interruption in the vdp in the exceptiom subroutine is the cause(pal of ecco 2 don't activate it).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Ice Man's Avatar

I've been watching this topic quite a while and bought myself a Super Retro Trio 3 Plus (PAL) a few days ago. What's surprsing me is, how many HW revisions they have for that.
    -The audio circuit on my Genesis board has completely different values.
    -The SNES video goes through a GT223 from National Instruments (can't find anything on it)
    -The NES is a dendy NOAC with a build in game slot/jumper.

What's annoying me is that the dendy NOAC has way too high pitched sound (best hearable on Super Mario Bros. when hitting a coin block) and I was wondering if there is a way to change or fix that?

The SNES seems fine for now. Colors could be a tad brighter but overall it's pretty decent for a clone console.
    I'm still wondering why the PAL/NTSC switch glitches the video when changed in game but works fine when the console is off, since all it does is either put one pin (i think 45 was it) of the TCT-975 to GND or have it not connected at all if I'm not wrong.

Also tested NTSC with a PAL Mario Kart on the console and obviously the game glitches on certain sprites. I can't recall this being the case on a original console.

Sadly I wasn't able to test the Mega Drive yet as I have no games ready, but will do asap and report about that as well.

Pictures, alot of them: https://imgur.com/a/bgmaANB

That looks a fair bit different from my NTSC Super Retro Trio Plus and even previous PAL Super Retro Trio Plus models. Can you take a clearer picture of the MegaDrive audio mixer? I can't read the part numbers on the resistors.

It looks like the Super NES audio amp was also completely redone; seems to be more like the amp on the Super Retro Trio Version 1. The continued use of 3.3V RAM is quite depressing, though.

P.S. That NES board has a 3.6V regulator on it. It's not a 5V chipset and is likely to be running out of spec unless the cartridge slot is undervolted to 3.6V like some other clones. If the cartridges are powered with 5V, the NOAC is going to receive excessive voltage when the cartridge has to drive a logic high.

Can you check if this Super Retro Trio Plus outputs sound in stereo? The previous revisions did not.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Ice Man's Avatar

Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/fvHX6Fo
    If you need anything more, let me know.

Yea I was planning to replace the 3.3V parts but finding sTSOP32 is quite hard, especially the proper ones.

So, anything I could change/do about that NES and its 3.6V?

Surprisingly sound is stereo according to my TV (tested with SNES).

Thread Information