Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone willing to do a port of Daytona USA for the 32X

Invader Zim fan Wildside Expert alextheman's Avatar

Default Is anyone willing to do a port of Daytona USA for the 32X

I know it can run it, (It isn't quake) so why the heck hasn't done a port yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by An Idiot View Post
    A new white knight wanting to rescue the crappy Barone.

You're just here at the best time because he was in search for a new butt plug...

Sure let me whip that right up just give me a couple of hours...

Hero of Algol

Joe, I want a SCUD Race 32X, OK?
    Thanks in advance.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Sure let me whip that right up just give me a couple of hours...
    Hours? But I want it NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Maybe we should sticky a thread for "frequently asked dumb programming questions"?

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

I was gonna respond but then I saw teh dolan sig and knew he was kidding.

Invader Zim fan Wildside Expert alextheman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I was gonna respond but then I saw teh dolan sig and knew he was kidding.
    Forum Observation No. 1

My dolan sig make you think I am not serious, let me remove it and make this a serious discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by An Idiot View Post
    A new white knight wanting to rescue the crappy Barone.

You're just here at the best time because he was in search for a new butt plug...

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Serious response: Somebody, an average person like yourself, would have to dedicate thousands of hours of their spare time to build a port of Daytona USA, primarily because programming takes a lot of work and testing to accomplish. Complicating matters further is the fact there isn't any source code available for Daytona USA (Saturn would be a good start). Without that, you are stuck programming the game from the ground up. This would result in a remake or approximate conversion, not a direct port.

Why won't that somebody do a Daytona 32X port? Because they have their own personal projects and regular day jobs to attend to. There's a reason you don't see programmers asking for inspiration in some project to do, because they can accomplish their own because they can program.

If you want Daytona 32X so badly, learn how to program for the Genesis, then the 32X.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

How much would you be willing to pay? We're talking an experienced full time developer working for a year at the very least. Considering 68k, SH2 and Z80 assembly programming are super niche skills (even worse simultaneously), we can assume COBOL level rates for this.

That's around $100,000.

Good luck!
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Since Chilly has the source code for Checkered Flag, I would bet the most likely scenario would be a port of that to the 32X before something like Daytona. From there, and with Chilly's kind tendency to create and share tools, somebody might make a MOD of Checkered Flag that could come close to being a 32X version of Daytona. Even that seems unlikely, but technological advances are unpredictable. Some new Assembly language fad might pop up on Raspberry Pie for all I know.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by alextheman View Post
    and make this a serious discussion.
    Okay serious answer, We (and nobody other then Sega) has the source code to Daytona USA.
    without a source code its impossible to make a port. so the coder would have to resort to :

1. Remake the game, which means instead of porting the coder would have to code an entirely new engine and then rip all the art
    and models from the game, which is more difficult then you might think. then the coder would have to tinker with the game till
    it behaves exactly like the real thing. which takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of time.

2. Write an interpreter for the game, which takes more cpu power. which the 32X just doesn't have.

3. decompile the game, which means running the game through a series of tools that show how the game is created.
    then again this would probably resort to the coder going with route #1, remaking the game.

Next time you ask for a port first ask yourself the following "is source code available for this game?" if the answer is yes
    then you can ask for a port. (just don't expect it to actually happen) if the answer is no, then don't even ask.

There's a reason all those Asian pirate games behave so shitty, they weren't ported. just remade. (poorly)

I mean I would looooooooove for the Sega fans to try their hands at doing our own port of Mortal Kombat 1,
    but without a source code to port its just too much work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_source_code

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

This would be so cool... The 32X is just begging for more games. Homebrew could give the 32X a second lease on life.

Homebrew helped rekindle interest in the ill-fated GCE Vectrex, granted, programming for the Vectrex is much more simple than the 32X. It doesn't necessarily have to be Daytona USA. I'd be happy with any good programming effort on the 32X.
    Last edited by FuturePrimitive; 07-15-2014 at 02:29 AM.

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Not to mention the fact that if you did do a 32x version including all the copyrighted material you'd no doubt be looking at a cease and decist letter within days of the ROM being released...

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Not to mention the fact that if you did do a 32x version including all the copyrighted material you'd no doubt be looking at a cease and decist letter within days of the ROM being released...
    That really only happens if you're foolish enough to dedicate a website to your work with a forum and donation drive and all that
    other stuff. A couple coders sharing code on skype and uploading a test build on rapidshare now and then won't get noticed.

The key is to not give them anything to send the letter to, don't show your email. don't have a registered website.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

And don't inform them beforehand that you're working on it asking for their blessing.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Thread Information