Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone willing to do a port of Daytona USA for the 32X

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    And don't inform them beforehand that you're working on it asking for their blessing.
    the question is would you really want to play a 32x version of Daytona?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

haha, good point. I certainly wouldn't. I don't even have a 32X. But even if I had one.... haha

Now, is someone willing to do a port of Daytona USA to Dreamcast ?
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

I actually bought Daytona USA for Dreamcast, its not a bad game.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

A Daytona'ish hack of Virtua Racing Deluxe is the closest we'll likely ever see.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    A Daytona'ish hack of Virtua Racing Deluxe is the closest we'll likely ever see.
    there a stock car in it already, so it would be just the track, but then again Daytona had 30 odd cars I don't think the 32x could do more than 8

Quote Originally Posted by Modelboard4 View Post
    there a stock car in it already, so it would be just the track, but then again Daytona had 30 odd cars I don't think the 32x could do more than 8
    Yeah, the limit with the 32X is almost certainly the number of vehicles rather than the track or any one vehicle. For 3D games of any type on older hardware, think of Quake - how many bad guys did you ever run into at once? Same thing here.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alextheman View Post
    I know it can run it, (It isn't quake)
    Look at Quake running on a decent PC then look at Daytona in the arcade. I'd say Daytona is much better looking/impressive...

EDIT: Oh look. I've answered another ancient thread again... I gotta check the dates, man...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Genesis

Programming a game take a long time, even with professionals, like years+. To put it into prospective I've been coding for 6 months now and am no closed to finishing it then I was when I started. Since we're not professionals and do this volunteerily on our own dime and spare time it is going to take even longer. With that said, without the original source code we would have to use clean room coding and our own assets to prevent us from being sued. Also D-Pad Hero is a port of Guitar Hero with a website, email, donation, what used to be a forum and it's been around for awhile now and hasn't been cease & desisted yet. What makes you so sure it will run for certain on a 32x, from my perspective it might be a stretch due to all the action and how fast the 3D calculations would need to be. Wolf3d to my recollection isn't true 3D and not as action oriented and therefore doesn't require as many calculations. Still would love to see this on a 32x CD. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

EDIT: Just realized this was an old thread necroed. Sorry about that
    Scorpion Illuminati - An Open Source Rhythm Game For The Sega Genesis
    https://www.scorpionilluminati.tk

lol all the necroing. That said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    This would still an interesting idea to try (and way more feasible), even if it'd result in an untextured Daytona :P

And on car count: VR has 12 cars, Daytona has 40, but regarding how many are on screen at a time, they tend to be on the same ballpark, so at least graphics-wise that shouldn't be problematic. And VR 32X is already rendering more detail than it needs (remember it has more polygons than its SVP counterpart)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Illuminati View Post

EDIT: Just realized this was an old thread necroed. Sorry about that
    *Puts hand up* My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
    *Puts hand up* My bad.
    No worries I messed up as well.

Well since the thread is now somewhat active, does anyone know the capabilities of the 32x, as in is it even possible to do full software 3D with it?

Signed,

Scorpion Illuminati

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Illuminati View Post
    No worries I messed up as well.

Well since the thread is now somewhat active, does anyone know the capabilities of the 32x, as in is it even possible to do full software 3D with it?

Signed,

Scorpion Illuminati
    Dude it's possible to do textured polygons it's all done via software rendering though. So essentially the 32x's 3D capabilities boil down to the programmers skills rather than the hardware (not that it doesn't have limits).

Daytona USA was once planned as a SVP chip Genesis game. You could do a 32x version using some hybrid mix of shaded and textured polygons. Not sure how many cars but as chilly said previously you'd probably have to reduce the number.

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Dude it's possible to do textured polygons it's all done via software rendering though. So essentially the 32x's 3D capabilities boil down to the programmers skills rather than the hardware (not that it doesn't have limits).

Daytona USA was once planned as a SVP chip Genesis game. You could do a 32x version using some hybrid mix of shaded and textured polygons. Not sure how many cars but as chilly said previously you'd probably have to reduce the number.
    So the SVP and 32x are on par with each other in terms of technical capabilities? Also wouldn't mapped textures require a lot of processing power, even untextured ones unless of course we're talking about raycasting? I'm not 100% up to speed with 3D on retro consoles which is why I ask. I know someone made a raycasting wireframe dungeon crawler for the Atari 2600, but don't know anything about how they did it.

Signed,

Scorpion Illuminati

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

No no the SVP and 32X are very different beasts. I'm just saying if an SVP port of daytona was on the cards then a 32x one would have been very feasible.

Thread Information