Quantcast

Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2190

Thread: Gabriel Pyron's Color Hacks!!! (Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, Final Fight CD, etc)

Outrunner

Definitely! Ys3 is one of my favourity games. I algo really, really like the music. In short, A gfx improvement for Ys3? HELL YEAH!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Looks good so far. You should look at the X68k version that the MD port is based on when deciding on color schemes.

CD games are always at a disadvantage against carts when it comes to space for content, but CD2 games like Ys III have so little space that it's a miracle that a game can be made at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Man this is amazing work, great job.
    Continue.

OK I was looking at the PCE CD port and… oh dear fuck, I used to complain the Mega Drive port was a bit too direct but the PCE CD is straight up way too direct.

For context: Ys 3 actually was originally made for weak 8-bit computers that barely could do some blitting in software, let alone any decent scrolling. So motion in the game would be entirely tile-aligned because that's the best those computers could hope to do (and still slowed down badly). This is also the reason for the frame around the game area. Looks like the PCE CD version copied that straight up as-is :​/ (yuck)

Mega Drive version at least adds pixel-level motion, but parallax is still copied too straight (cue some backgrounds staying in place instead of moving slowly), and more importantly the maps still seem to have the same kind of collision, which renders some areas harder to access than they normally would be. Oh, and they screwed up Adol's sprites when he doesn't have a shield (if you buy a sword but no shield, which is very likely in the beginning, you won't be able to see the sword when you attack which will utterly screw up your aim — that's something worth fixing if feasible).

To give an idea of what I'm talking about, here's the PC-88 version (hopefully a part that isn't any big spoiler, it's the first dungeon):

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Looks good so far. You should look at the X68k version that the MD port is based on when deciding on color schemes.
    Thanks BT, about x68k i know that md version follow it closer, the ost is very closer too
    but follow the color schemes i think that original already did it well
    the main problem is that md odes not have the same rich pallete, because that we got some very dark areas
    and it is waht everyone complains about..
    i think that my version did a better job.

X68k / md / md ce

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    CD games are always at a disadvantage against carts when it comes to space for content, but CD2 games like Ys III have so little space that it's a miracle that a game can be made at all.
    is supposed to be the opposite, they could used the internal sound chip to music and save space to content instead ?
    Last edited by Pyron; 05-06-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

I like it.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

is supposed to be the opposite, they could used the internal sound chip to music and save space to content instead ?
    Even Sega/Mega-CD games are bottlenecked with up to 6 megs of space to work with. CD2 games only have 0.5 meg and half of that can be eaten up with code alone.

The only way they could have gotten liberal with assets is if 98% of it was one screen at a time like the PS2 version, only with load times each screen. That's why it's surprising that they decided to make it work like the early computer versions.

Anyway, I hope you end up adjusting the entire game, as it is both a worthwhile title and a one that really benegits from your work.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I did it for a friend, this game can be very improved, but i don't if people gonna like changing the visuals like i did on title screen

one thing, somebodt here can do a GG code to disable the enemys invencibility ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I did it for a friend, this game can be very improved, but i don't if people gonna like changing the visuals like i did on title screen

one thing, somebodt here can do a GG code to disable the enemys invencibility ?
    Nice color scheme!
    Chakan need some changes in gameplay to be fun IMO
    A code to make Chakan stronger, faster and recover time (after a hit) higher.
    Tony Hedstrom can help us!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

omg chakan!!!! i love the new look and some tweaks would make a good game much better!

You know, stupid thought but… how does the original look using the non-linear ramp the actual console outputs? Because those shades look like an attempt to work around it honestly (in particular, the ramp gets very bright for the darkest shades, which is annoying).

The console really needed 4-bit per component instead of 3-bit. I wonder if cheating with S/H to get access to the smoother shades could have been useful here as well.

EDIT: added ramp (including the S/H shades… I really need to mark those with a different color some day)

EDIT 2: imgur broke the bbCode markup lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    You know, stupid thought but… how does the original look using the non-linear ramp the actual console outputs? Because those shades look like an attempt to work around it honestly (in particular, the ramp gets very bright for the darkest shades, which is annoying).

The console really needed 4-bit per component instead of 3-bit. I wonder if cheating with S/H to get access to the smoother shades could have been useful here as well.

EDIT: added ramp (including the S/H shades… I really need to mark those with a different color some day)

EDIT 2: imgur broke the bbCode markup lol
    they tried to blend some similar tones of gray, brow and green if minor differences between the values to try mimic the lowest contrast of the original painting
    but they forgot that's show the artwork is another aspect important..

@sik thaeres some easy way to activate the S/H mode in some static screen ?

@sik thaeres some easy way to activate the S/H mode in some static screen ?
    If you can inject code somewhere (you want GFXMODE_320x224_SH to enable S/H):
    https://plutiedev.com/screen-resolution#setting

This is a register that's rarely touched regularly so you should be away with strategically placing it in one place (and maybe disabling it when the screen is over, just in case).

I'm going to assume the entire image is a plane so account for priority to get the results you want:
    https://plutiedev.com/shadow-highlight
    Last edited by Sik; 06-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    If you can inject code somewhere (you want GFXMODE_320x224_SH to enable S/H):
    https://plutiedev.com/screen-resolution#setting

This is a register that's rarely touched regularly so you should be away with strategically placing it in one place (and maybe disabling it when the screen is over, just in case).

I'm going to assume the entire image is a plane so account for priority to get the results you want:
    https://plutiedev.com/shadow-highlight
    thanks Sik

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Is possible use SH in Street Fighter 2 CE ?

thanks Sik

Thread Information