Quantcast

Page 2 of 146 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Pyron's Color Hacks!!! (Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, Final Fight CD, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Same goes with Final Fight CD. It may be more accurate but it really shows off the color limitations more than the original did. I'll have to play the original again. Small Youtube videos and web images can be deceptive.
    Joe i hear your feedback on the FFCD, and greatly respect your opinion.
    But to clarify, in the video you get a different feel of the results seen in his home by several factors and not by the quality of it.
    Here in my country there are simply no TV's with RGB / SCART outputs, maximum quality I have in my Mega Drive's is the modification to svideo I did.
    Another factor is that I really like the effects of dirthering being applied correctly, most games were designed with this in mind and FFCD is one of them, so you had this strange feeling about the video.
    So I took some high resolution (w/o dirthering) photos of the first stage for you, will not change anything to your opinion but I felt compelled to perform this task for you and whoever else wants. A big hug my friend.

http://i.imgur.com/7VzBNof.png
    Last edited by Pyron; 07-17-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Wildside Expert

Can anyone give me specific step by step instructions on how to apply these patches? I have a complete set of Genesis and MD roms, and I play them via Kega Fusion on my PC and NeoGenesis on my Xbox.

I've downloaded some of the hacks, but I don't have a clue how to make them work. How do I add the hack to the rom file so I can see the differences? Do I have to open and extract the rom (with the .bin file inside) or the hack file? If so, how do I get the emulator to recognize both? Normally I just click on the rar file to play a game and it opens. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to things like altering rom files.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 07-17-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    Can anyone give me specific step by step instructions on how to apply these patches? I have a complete set of Genesis and MD roms, and I play them via Kega Fusion on my PC and NeoGenesis on my Xbox.

I've downloaded some of the hacks, but I don't have a clue how to make them work. How do I add the hack to the rom file so I can see the differences? Do I have to open and extract the rom (with the .bin file inside) or the hack file? If so, how do I get the emulator to recognize both? Normally I just click on the rar file to play a game and it opens. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to things like altering rom files.
    Use this http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/ to apply the IPS patches to their correspondent ROM files.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post

I've downloaded some of the hacks, but I don't have a clue what to do with them. How do I add the hack to the rom file so I can see the differences? Do I have to open and extract the rom (with the .bin file inside) or the hack file? If so, how do I get the emulator to recognize both? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to things like altering rom files.
    Hi redsox, lets go !

1- Download and Install this program http://home.arcor.de/minako.aino/ipsXP/
    2- Download and extract the patch
    3- Now just click on it and IpsXP gonna open asking who file you want to aply the patch
    4- Choose the rom with the same name found "rom info" and thats done

If you wanna run it in real console you must fix the CheckSum after patch to avoid red screen, use this http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/342/

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    You didn't need my permission, i made it to that =D
    Thanks. OK, here we go:
    Street Fighter II SCE Color Hack (fixed version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c...it?usp=sharing

Sample screenshots (raw):
    Ryu's Stage
    |-----------------------Arcade-----------------------| |-------------MD Hack------------| |------------MD Original-----------|

Guile's Stage
    |-----------------------Arcade-----------------------| |-------------MD Hack------------| |------------MD Original-----------|

Dhalsim's Stage

Vega's Stage

Balrog's Stage

Chun Li's Stage

Sagat's Stage

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Talking

Pyron, awesome job! Back in May Black_Tiger posted some pixel art that highlighted the poor use of color in the Final Fight CD version and how the colors could have been optimized in spite of the fact that the color palette was "limited. The post can be found here:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-enough/page9&

I'm quite glad that you've taken up the mantle and begun making color hacks of various games.

From what I can see of the images, this is my opinon:

The color enhancements of Final Fight CD do improve the overall look of the game.

In terms of Golden Axe, I think the Mega Drive version looks ALOT better than the arcade version. In my opinion, the arcade version has a washed out, bland look. Joe mentioned how the eagle's eyeball is still brown. When I first played this game and reached stage 4, I didn't like the fact that the eagle had no animated charactertics. Just before you reach the eagle's head, you fight a series of skeletons. SEGA tried to convey movement by having feathers blow past you but they should have also used some parallax scrolling for the background. Your essentially riding on the back of an eagle which is taking you to your next destination! Anyways, SEGA should have added more life to the eagle by coloring it's eyeball a destinct color. It would have also been nice if it was animated and tracked your every moment as you hopped off it's back and continued on towards your journey ... Speaking of which, In stage 3, you are also walking on the back of a turtle: Why didn't they color the eye of the turtle a different color and also make it animated? Anyways ...

MD Outrun: The bright new colors in looks great! I always hated the color choice for the sky! I like your rendition alot and in my humble opinion it looks alot better than the arcade version!

Street Fighter 2: I like all the color enhancements except for Guile's stage. Back in the day, I always hated the dithered background that Capcom used. I always felt that they could have done a better job designing that stage. In fact, everyone knew that the console ports were never going to be an exact 1 to 1 version of the original arcade game. Capcom should have actually played to the strengths of each console and created backgrounds that were entirely original.

Midnight Resistance: I have mixed feelings about the changes. But not bad overall. Mainly it's because I have a gripe with Data East and how their stage/background designs tended to be quite blocky. But that is something that you really can't change. Midnight Resistance is a fantastic game but the stages are quite ugly. I like the fact that you kept the original color of the sky instead of changing it to aqua marine found in the original.

One last thing: I took a gander at your Youtube channel and your material is quite good! Amen to close captions even though Google needs to improve on the technology! Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I just noticed that Barone posted new screens of SF2 color hacks! They look great!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

This is awesome that someone is going to such efforts to enhance such classic Genesis games. If I play these patched versions, I'll record my feedback. Not sure if I will though. I am slightly "color-deficient" and it seems I can barely even see the differences in some of these screenshots. lol

Also, for the games that I'm familiar with (SOR, FFCD, SF2:CE): I always thought their colors looked awesome already lol. I do like the idea of making them slightly more arcade accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Pyron, awesome job! Back in May Black_Tiger posted some pixel art that highlighted the poor use of color in the Final Fight CD version and how the colors could have been optimized in spite of the fact that the color palette was "limited. The post can be found here:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-enough/page9&

I'm quite glad that you've taken up the mantle and begun making color hacks of various games.

From what I can see of the images, this is my opinon:

The color enhancements of Final Fight CD do improve the overall look of the game.

In terms of Golden Axe, I think the Mega Drive version looks ALOT better than the arcade version. In my opinion, the arcade version has a washed out, bland look. Joe mentioned how the eagle's eyeball is still brown. When I first played this game and reached stage 4, I didn't like the fact that the eagle had no animated charactertics. Just before you reach the eagle's head, you fight a series of skeletons. SEGA tried to convey movement by having feathers blow past you but they should have also used some parallax scrolling for the background. Your essentially riding on the back of an eagle which is taking you to your next destination! Anyways, SEGA should have added more life to the eagle by coloring it's eyeball a destinct color. It would have also been nice if it was animated and tracked your every moment as you hopped off it's back and continued on towards your journey ... Speaking of which, In stage 3, you are also walking on the back of a turtle: Why didn't they color the eye of the turtle a different color and also make it animated? Anyways ...

MD Outrun: The bright new colors in looks great! I always hated the color choice for the sky! I like your rendition alot and in my humble opinion it looks alot better than the arcade version!

Street Fighter 2: I like all the color enhancements except for Guile's stage. Back in the day, I always hated the dithered background that Capcom used. I always felt that they could have done a better job designing that stage. In fact, everyone knew that the console ports were never going to be an exact 1 to 1 version of the original arcade game. Capcom should have actually played to the strengths of each console and created backgrounds that were entirely original.

Midnight Resistance: I have mixed feelings about the changes. But not bad overall. Mainly it's because I have a gripe with Data East and how their stage/background designs tended to be quite blocky. But that is something that you really can't change. Midnight Resistance is a fantastic game but the stages are quite ugly. I like the fact that you kept the original color of the sky instead of changing it to aqua marine found in the original.

One last thing: I took a gander at your Youtube channel and your material is quite good! Amen to close captions even though Google needs to improve on the technology! Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I just noticed that Barone posted new screens of SF2 color hacks! They look great!
    Ohh thank you for kind words, i really love these games.

Golden Axe is an excellent port from arcade i played it like a hell in original arcades and lot more in my home, but the enemy's colors always piss me off... Mainly the Amazons and dragons ...
    I will post pictures and other preliminary showing palette of enemies ..

About my youtube channel it is very small but I try to do something with passion ..
    I have some videos with embedded subtitles I made for some friends, if you want to watch I'll leave the links here below, and thanks again for your generous feedback!

[videos]
    Knights of the round
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIo9...qdsxWow5x2C_jw

Zero Wing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVUu...qdsxWow5x2C_jw

Ripple Dot Zero
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gG...qdsxWow5x2C_jw

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Uh, Barone... Is there any particular reason why all your MD screeshots are squished horizontally? Gotta keep the aspect ratio correct.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

So wait, if the point is making it closer to the arcade, why is Streets of Rage 2 one of them?

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Listening your feedbacks i try improve some things....

but first, i forgot to change the intro, i did it now.. take a look and say to me what you guys think...

Arcade / Original / Hack

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Much better, now the characters aren't suffering from some serious liver disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Uh, Barone... Is there any particular reason why all your MD screeshots are squished horizontally? Gotta keep the aspect ratio correct.
    They aren't squished, that's the raw resolution. Anything else is stretched.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    All 16-bit ports are based on the initial SNES' port of WW which used 256x224.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I forgot to change the intro, i did it now.. take a look and say to me what you guys think...

Arcade / Original / Hack
    The Japanese Mega Drive version has the original intro intact! Maybe you can color hack that game too ?

btw: Golden Axe REALLY looks fantastic now!
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-18-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    The Japanese Mega Drive version has the original intro intact! Maybe you can color hack that game too ?
    Sorry, at the start i thiking on that but a prefer the US version, because this is the version that everyone has and played. I can't work on 2 versions... is alot of job.

Looking at Barone screens i think... vega stage must be improved.. so i made that, please share your feedback

Arcade / Original

Hack v1 / Hack v2

Thread Information