Quantcast

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Pyron's Color Hacks!!! (Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, Final Fight CD, etc)

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I understand. I thought maybe there was an easy way to "port" your color hack to the Japanese version.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Looking at Barone screens i think... vega stage must be improved.. so i made that, please share your feedback

Original / Hack v1 / Hack v2
    While v2 is more accurate I like v1 better for the color difference between both color tones for the floor tiles is more subtle. It is preferrable the two colors go along well with each other over accuracy. A middle ground is the best.

In China /Chun-Li's stage in your hack there is one thing I noticed: the lampignons hanging from the ceiling in the background looked better in the original game.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-18-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: I used the wrong term for what I meant. Sorry.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I understand. I thought maybe there was an easy way to "port" your color hack to the Japanese version.

Edit: While v2 is more accurate I like v1 better for the color difference between both color tones is more subtle. It is preferrable the two colors go along well with each other over accuracy. A middle ground is the best.

In China /Chun-Li's stage in your hackthere is one thing I noticed: the lampignons hanging from the ceiling in the background looked better in the original game.
    oK, i will take a look.

Some others stages/chars.

Beautiful! Just beautiful!
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Hero of Algol

Looking at Barone screens i think... vega stage must be improved.. so i made that, please share your feedback

Arcade / Original

Hack v1 / Hack v2
    I prefer v2, both for being more accurate and bringing more life to that stage. IMO it should be vivid like that since there are lights pointing to the ground. Awesome work.
    OTOH, Christuserloeser is valid IMO. Can't we have both versions (I mean, two different IPS files)???

Some others stages/chars.
    Ken's stage was awful in the original version IMO, you managed to give it some dignity.
    Honda's is clearly better now IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    OTOH, Christuserloeser is valid IMO. Can't we have both versions (I mean, two different IPS files)???
    Nah, upon further inspection I have to admit v2 is better overall. (not that I'd be against having two versions haha)

Ken's stage was awful in the original version IMO, you managed to give it some dignity.
    Honda's is clearly better now IMO.
    Yep, these look superb! Absolutely perfect!!!

Allow me to do a super happy dance:
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-18-2014 at 12:10 PM.

In China /Chun-Li's stage in your hack there is one thing I noticed: the lampignons hanging from the ceiling in the background looked better in the original game.
    I check it and i found one problem of shading and a fix it, but overall still the same, i really cant do bether job over it..

original / hack

Thumbs up

Yep, that was what I meant. It's perfect now!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    They aren't squished, that's the raw resolution. Anything else is stretched.
    That can't be right, the MD's default resolution is quite wide, much wider than the SNES.

If you mean strictly SFII is squished horizontally, then yeah I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    That can't be right, the MD's default resolution is quite wide, much wider than the SNES.
    It is, but it also got a 256x224 mode, presumably implemented to help with ports from SMS, NES and PCE (SNES wasn't released in 1988). It doesn't seem to have any other advantage over the MD's 320x224 mode, only disadvantages as far as technical features go from what I remember reading. But yeah, SF2 uses that mode for a multitude of good reasons. Had Capcom used 320x224 it would have required an even larger cartridge for the same game. The game's engine would have needed to be reprogrammed for the different physics on a 320 pixels wide screen area. And each and every sprite and background would have to be redrawn from scratch using the arcade version as a blue print.
    All in all it would have made it a better port, no doubt about that. At the same time it would not have made any sense whatsoever from Capcom's point of view. 24 Mbit already was much larger and more expansive to produce than any other game available at the time.

Original / Hack
    The changes to the guy on the left totally work and look great! but the changes to the guy on the right make his eye look evil as they used part of his skin tone for his eye I guess. The brighter yellow for his blond hair looks good though.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-18-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Hero of Algol

Balrog's Stage
    |-----------------------Arcade-----------------------| |-------------MD Hack------------| |------------MD Original-----------|
    Balrog is a bit anemic on the Mega Drive, is there anything you can do about it, Pyron?
    His clothes also use darker/stronger tones of blue than the arcade one. Could you make it look a bit smoother like you did with Ken's second color option?

Yep, that was what I meant. It's perfect now!
    Good work on catching that minor detail, I hadn't realized until you point to it.

The changes to the guy on the left totally work and look great! but the changes to the guy on the right make his eye look evil as they used part of his skin tone for his eye I guess. The brighter yellow for his blond hair looks good though.
    I think the eye color is shared with his t-shirt and I agree with you here. A more grey-ish tone of blue (if possible, not as grey as the original one) would probably fix that one.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-18-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Is there any way to change the snake in the tree on Blanka's stage from red to green? No 16-bit port ever got that right.

Guile's Stage
    |-------------MD Hack------------| |------------MD Original-----------|
    I really like it but the plane looked better (and more fairthful to the arcade) when it used a lighter grey.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Is there any way to change the snake in the tree on Blanka's stage from red to green? No 16-bit port ever got that right.
    Only World Warrior has the snake in green AFAIK. Champion Edition, on the arcade, uses a red-ish tone similar to the one you can find in the Genesis game.

I really like it but the plane looked better (and more fairthful to the arcade) when it used a lighter grey.
    More faithful yes, better I don't think so. It was supposed to be a sunset scenario, I think, and now the plane has some idea of lighting from the environment and I think it looks best that way.

Hes got blood in the eyes kkkkkk
    but i cant change it cuz uses a mid tone for that... i need to choose a good shading or a good eye, i prefer a good shading in skin.. its a big part of the guy and the screen, thats it.

Thread Information