Quantcast

Page 6 of 146 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Pyron's Color Hacks!!! (Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, Final Fight CD, etc)

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Yeah, I hated that game just for of its awful color choices.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by -RT View Post
    Do you take suggestions for future hacks?
    I forgot, of course you can, except for SSF2 or any MK game = D
    Was thinking of trying a little golden ax 2, it is a great game with one of the best ost mega .. but has some serious problems.

Or maybe Ga3 too

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Add The Punisher as a game that could have been looked way better with color optimization. Also Fatal Fury 2.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Many people asked to take a look at FF2. In all forums I participate people asked so I tried to take a look.
    The problem is that once again made ​​a port of the SNES version sprites are stretched to accommodate the resolution of mega which completely ruins the artwork of the same.
    Also the palette for each character is much more limited than in sf2, so I tried and tried and gave it ...
    The scenarios I think excellent and better than the version of sega cd, then I do not touch them .. what do you think?

Arcade

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I forgot, of course you can, except for SSF2 or any MK game = D
    Was thinking of trying a little golden ax 2, it is a great game with one of the best ost mega .. but has some serious problems.

Or maybe Ga3 too
    Golden Axe 2 probably has more room for improvement than GA3. GA2 has better artwork but really poor coloring IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Add The Punisher as a game that could have been looked way better with color optimization. Also Fatal Fury 2.
    Agreed. Punisher is atrocious is terms of use of color, to say the least.

Many people asked to take a look at FF2. In all forums I participate people asked so I tried to take a look.
    The problem is that once again made ​​a port of the SNES version sprites are stretched to accommodate the resolution of mega which completely ruins the artwork of the same.
    Also the palette for each character is much more limited than in sf2, so I tried and tried and gave it ...
    Good, thanks for having a look on it. FF2 on the Mega Drive has very good gameplay IMO and the sounds aren't bad at all considering how bad the fighting games used to translate to the Mega Drive.
    The blown up saturation in most of the characters and the anemic looking of their skin kinda ruin the graphics IMO.

The scenarios I think excellent and better than the version of sega cd, then I do not touch them .. what do you think?
    I have to disagree here.
    Yes, the stages do look better than the Sega CD's Fatal Fury Special, but that port was a complete POS IMO. And some stages look bad in FF2 on the Mega Drive IMO.

Terry's is probably the best looking one, Yamada's is just a bit washed out/lifeless (clearly better than the SNES version), Cheng Sinzan is just a tad too dark (arguably better than the SNES one), Krauser's is also a bit too dark but several ones look really poor IMO.

Mai's stage looks bland and the color tones are wrong for the most part IMO, Andy's look really bad and washed out, Joe's looks too dark and posterized, Kim's looks massively posterized and its colors have no saturation at all, Bear's is completely awful, Billy Kane's is awful, Axel's background color choices are pretty bad and lifeless, Laurence Blood's is also washed out and posterized but not massively.
    The SNES version of those stage is good for the most part, so there's a much bigger gap between the two version than there was with SFII CE, for an example.

Given that and the far superior controls and sound of the Mega Drive version (compared to the SNES) is easy to understand why you got so many requests about this game. It's a case where the graphics really affected what could have been a very good port of a good fighting game.
    And Fatal Fury 2 is easily one of the best fighting games of the Mega Drive library.

This looks much better than the original colors. Right in the aspects which always annoyed me: the oversaturation and the anemic skin have gone.
    Your version also looks better than the SNES IMO and closer to the arcade as well.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-19-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I have to disagree here.
    Yes, the stages do look better than the Sega CD's Fatal Fury Special, but that port was a complete POS IMO. And some stages look bad in FF2 on the Mega Drive IMO.
    It's complicated .... the Sega CD version of the sprites are the same as the arcade and it is phenomenal .. but the scenarios really annoy me!

They have even more levels of shading and some give the impression of being more colorful indeed. But to compensate they sacrificed many of the same elements and removed some layers of parallax that left everything flat and without depth and life.

Mega / Sega CD

Kim stages missing alot of things too and etc...
    but i will look joe's stage and i ageen about andy stage, but mega drive version didn't have a decent number of shading to work.. is sad...

Hero of Algol

In screenshots the Sega CD version looks good (the backgrounds suck but the resolution is higher with no black border, the sprites look great, etc), what kills that version IMO is the tons of frames of animation missing.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Again, I do not want to waste your time but there are two different shades, whereas v2 of your hack uses only one shade. To me it seems like it is a mistake ?

That was a flaw that immediately caugh my eye as well. I would absolutely prefer the shades of the plane to be there personally, hope that can be fixed. I am in general not 100% sure if I prefer the original color scheme or the hacked in SF II. The SCE had some parts that looked bad (Guile's sky for example), but overall I liked the more saturated look of many things. SSF II on the other hand is truly abysmal, and it would benefit even if you just used your SCE colors intead of creating a new unique palette.

But overall: Great work!

RedAngel made some color hacking on Eidolon's Inn back in the day. One game he started on, but never finished is Castlevania. That game definitely needs a color hack, it is one of the worst MD games color wise.

There was also a tutorial there if anybody else wants to try:

Castlevania Screens: http://web.archive.org/web/201407022...reenshots&bl=y

Golden Axe screens: http://web.archive.org/web/201407022...reenshots&bl=y

Tutorial: http://web.archive.org/web/201407021...k+colours&bl=y

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    In screenshots the Sega CD version looks good (the backgrounds suck but the resolution is higher with no black border, the sprites look great, etc), what kills that version IMO is the tons of frames of animation missing.
    Best home port is the pc-engine cd-arcade version, but i like very much of mega version, plays very well even bether than arcade. Its a shame they didnt port special version at leat with 32mb cartigde =D

andy stage

*is very hard to change the backgrounds.. cuz have a day transition and etc..

Hero of Algol

Best home port is the pc-engine cd-arcade version, but i like very much of mega version, plays very well even bether than arcade. Its a shame they didnt port special version at leat with 32mb cartigde =D
    Exactly.

*is very hard to change the backgrounds.. cuz have a day transition and etc..
    Looks much better so far. Lol at the original palette for Andy's second color.

I would also like to suggest you take a look at Golden Axe 2 and see what can be done. It's not based on an arcade game but maybe it could be improved just to look better. We'd all love to see what you can do with it!

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Castlevania Bloodlines could really use some colour love on the later stages.

Replacing the boring greys and super dark blues in Contra Hard Corps would improve the look a lot.

Mega Turrican looks great, but I'd like it a lot better if it didn't use a lot of purple on the first stage.

Any game with cyan skies (GA2, TF4, etc..) needs it replaced with some other colour.

Alisia Dragoon could use some nicer colours too, particularly proper skin colour during the cutscenes instead of yellow...

El Viento needs every single colour changed.

Man, developers sucked at picking colours, wtf.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Hey Pyron we need every Genesis game recolored and we need it by tomorrow. (Just kidding, of course).

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Hey Pyron we need every Genesis game recolored and we need it by tomorrow. (Just kidding, of course).
    Hahaha, yeah, nobody could do that by tomorrow.

1 week.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

bah.. i'm sad with ff2... its a cool game but i never gonna play it in my genesis again...

Thread Information