Quantcast

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter 2 - new Z80 PCM sound driver project

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    which are muffled, shortened an echoed as crazy
    SNES fans consider that the epitome of good sound.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

To be honest that is still better that what we have with the megadrive version But *far* from perfect... the PCE version is the best of the 3 on that specific point.

the PCE version is the best of the 3 on that specific point.
    There was a video comparing all 3 with real hardware recordings (the PCE hardware filters samples a bit, so they're even less noisy in a real hardware recording).

SNES fans still preferred their voices. They cannot accept even the slightest amount of noise. If it's not inside a trashcan covered in pillows, it sounds horrible.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    If it's not inside a trashcan covered in pillows, it sounds horrible.
    The trashcan must be in the bathroom!!!

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Awesome project! Hopefully one day this could end up being a patch for the Street Fighter 2: SCE Genesis/Mega Drive ROM. Maybe Super Street Fighter II after that?

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I extracted the samples from the original ROM :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0nudiaih1...f2_samples.wav

Unfortunately the base samples are already pretty bad to start with, even without the DMA distortion they sound scratchy, i wonder if some simple filtering could improve them... ut maybe we can't do really better with 4.7 Khz
    I can have a look at playing around with them to see if I can reduce the scratchyness a bit.

If there is a recording of the original sound samples from the arcade version I could have a look at reworking them to match this extract. That would be preferrable over trying to improve bad source material.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Perfectly right, i think we should work from the arcade sample base instead of trying to improve the bad ones.
    Right now i'm busy in designing / writing the new driver but i will get a look in that too

Here, this is slightly less scratchy. Maybe it works in the context of the game?

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f18f...s_scratchy.wav
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

I don't know if the driver will have enough cycles left to do it, but the best way to decrease the aliasing in this case would be to attempt some basic real-time interpolation.

At the risk of sounding stupid, if the limiting factor with new samples is limited remaining ROM Space would it be possible to expand the ROM from 24 Megabits to 32 Megabits to get more space?

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    At the risk of sounding stupid, if the limiting factor with new samples is limited remaining ROM Space would it be possible to expand the ROM from 24 Megabits to 32 Megabits to get more space?
    That's cheating . The fun is in trying to do more with the same restrictions capcom had.

Well the base material isn't all too hot so that plays a huge role as to why the voices sound so scratchy in the game. If we could get ahold of a high quality dump of the arcade's voices I might be able to get a better result by resampling the voices to 4khz than Capcom did.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I've got all of the SCE samples in a folder, I downloaded from somewhere back in May of 2010. They seem pretty clear but they are sped up like an old chipmunks album, presumably to save space. Is that what you were listening to as well Stef? I don't think I have an audio player installed besides Adobe Audition that can play the samples at the right speed.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

If you could upload them I would love to take a look and see what I can do.

Some quick google work has found this site that has all the Arcade voices and sound effects:

http://www.sounds-resource.com/arcade/sf2/sound/210/
    http://www.sounds-resource.com/arcade/sf2/sound/211/

It would probably be best to use that as a starting point instead of recorded SCE voice clips.

Thread Information