Quantcast

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter 2 - new Z80 PCM sound driver project

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

^thanks. I didn't find anything.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    If you could upload them I would love to take a look and see what I can do.
    Sorry, I just got back home and saw this. Here is what I have, both in .bin format and .wav. Since they are already sped up, and seem clear enough to me for what they are (11025Hz, 8-bit, Mono), I don't know what else can be tried to make them better. Groovermaster over in the Project Y forum said that speeding the samples up too much made them sound like SCE -bad- quality as well.
    Last edited by sheath; 07-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Sorry, I just got back home and saw this. Here is what I have, both in .bin format and .wav. Since they are already sped up, and seem clear enough to me for what they are, I don't know what else can be tried to make them better.
    Converting them to the proper sample rate would be a good place to start. You have them at 44100 Hz which is why too fast. They should be at ~4800 Hz from what Stef has mentioned in this thread. After doing that they don't really sound any better than what Stef already posted.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 07-20-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Converting them to the proper sample rate would be a good place to start. You have them at 44100 Hz which is why too fast. They should be at ~4800 Hz from what Stef has mentioned in this thread. After doing that they don't really sound any better than what Stef already posted.
    You need to go ahead and back off, tech poser. You can't even report the frequency of sampled files the whole group can download. Stop trying to be "right all the time" and get over yourself.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Hero of Algol

You need to go ahead and back off, tech poser. You can't even report the frequency of sampled files the whole group can download.
    It would be really cool if you could avoid ruining yet another tech thread with your emotional meltdowns.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-20-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Why not just get fresh samples by recording from MAME?

Hero of Algol

Yeah, IDK if the PCM playback emulation is accurate but it probably worth a try.
    Otherwise, we would need to find someone with an actual PCB and proper equipment willing to record all the sounds from real hardware.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    Why not just get fresh samples by recording from MAME?
    Even better, just rip them directly from the arcade rom set. They're standard ADPCM format (same format as the PCECD ADPCM chip). That'll give you the purest form of the samples.

Hero of Algol

^ +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    It would be really cool if could avoid ruining yet another tech thread with your emotional meltdowns.
    Butt hurt much? It was you who started it all, man up.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Even better, just rip them directly from the arcade rom set. They're standard ADPCM format (same format as the PCECD ADPCM chip). That'll give you the purest form of the samples.
    Even better, just rehire the original voice actors and rent a studio and record everything at 24-bit 192Khz.

You need to go ahead and back off, tech poser. You can't even report the frequency of sampled files the whole group can download. Stop trying to be "right all the time" and get over yourself.
    You need to calm down. I was just saying that the sample rate you had your samples at was way too high. Sorry I was wrong on the exact incorrect frequency you used. For the record your samples are at 11025Hz. That's still way too fast and wrong but I guess we need to be correct about how wrong the sample rate is to satisfy you.

When I import your bins into Audacity as raw unsigned 8-bit PCM at 4800Hz it sounds spot on to what Stef posted earlier, though with a bit more aliasing.

Ripping them from the Arcade ROM would probably be best as tomaitheous mentioned if the ones I linked on the last page aren't good enough. Though it might not be a bad idea to look at the PS1 version of Capcom Generation 5. If I remember correctly the PS1 ports of Capcom's fighters typically had higher quality voices than even the Arcade versions as they were from the source recordings rather than the Arcade samples.

Hero of Algol

[Yet another emotional meltdown]

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    If I remember correctly the PS1 ports of Capcom's fighters typically had higher quality voices than even the Arcade versions as they were from the source recordings rather than the Arcade samples.
    It could be interesting to check those and compare.
    Any suggestion about tools to do that (to extract the samples)?

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post

It could be interesting to check those and compare.
    Any suggestion about tools to do that (to extract the samples)?
    There's one called PSound that might be a good place to start. It all depends on what format they're in.

Given that any PS1 SF2 samples will be in PSX ADPCM format, are they really going to be any better than the original arcade ADPCM as far as playing on the MD DAC goes? Granted, Sony's ADPCM is better than the old ADPCM used in the arcade, but once you convert both to 8-bit samples, I doubt you'll hear the difference.

Thread Information