Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Sonic game on the Saturn?

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I didn't appreciate S3DB until I completed the Genesis version, which is still my preferred version of the game. I did enjoy Sonic R very much and have 100% it many times, due to its brevity. But regardless, it's very fun. Sonic Jam is the best Sonic Compilation I've played besides the Gamecube version of Mega Collection. It gets points over said game in the sense that it has some very obscure and intriguing bonus content, as well as having Blue Sphere/S2&K/S3&K available from the start. The only problem IMHO is the occasional slowdown which I always thought resulted from an added refresh rate mechanism rather than too much being on the screen.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Road Rasher

sonic 5, its a secret and only Yuji Naka and Naoto Ōshima yet me play, I asked the ultimate question if tales has two tales does he have two bum holes

Sonic R. Got the PC version back in '98 and until Generations it was the last Sonic game I actually enjoyed.
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

Quote Originally Posted by Modelboard4 View Post
    sonic 5, its a secret and only Yuji Naka and Naoto Ōshima yet me play, I asked the ultimate question if tales has two tales does he have two bum holes
    LOL. I'm surprised the answer isn't 42.

It's worth mentioning the PC versions of both these games suck. The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things.

I have heard there's a mythical save function in S3DB PC. I haven't been able to find it in 16 years.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    It's worth mentioning the PC versions of both these games suck. The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things.
    4 player support, LAN networking, higher color depth, better resolution, better draw distance and weather conditions made Sonic R worse?

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

^Yeah, I miss the rain and snow from the PC version I used to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

and there are no clouds in the Ruins
    Yes, there are:

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    4 player support, LAN networking, higher color depth, better resolution, better draw distance and weather conditions made Sonic R worse?
    Not to mention general bug fixes.
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

No there aren't.

Saturn

PC

From Retro about 3DB

The original PC version of the game was a scaled down port of the Saturn entry, removing the weather effects and replacing the Special Stage once more with a toned-down recreation of the half-pipe. However, this was the only version to contain a save game feature.
    From Retro about SR

-The Saturn and software rendered versions use addition to calculate lighting. This allows for much more dramatic lighting and changing to color of a texture. (Blue light on red shows blue.)The hardware rendered PC version and Gems version uses multiplication for calculating lighting. (Blue light on red shows black.) Since the game's lighting was designed for additive lighting, the track appears subdued on the hardware rendered and Gems versions.
    -The software rendered PC version has ripples done that same way as the Saturn version, but is missing the visible water surface and wave shading. The Gems Collection version animates water in a similar way.
    -The hardware rendered PC version is missing the features that the software version misses, as well as the background reflecting by a slightly darkened, wobbling texture.
    -The Saturn and Gems versions have ambient sound effects for torches, waterfalls, and seasides
    -In the Saturn version, the instrumental tunes are longer, they're mysteriously truncated in the PC version.
    Split dawg yo.

I will concede the weather effects are awesome as are the time of day changes.

4 player support sounds awesome also. How does that work?

Not to mention general bug fixes.
    A Sega PC game has bug fixes? I don't buy it.

No there aren't.

Split dawg yo.
    I assume you didn't saw the screenshot I posted? And for the sake of clarity, why did you specify that the cloud problem was on Sonic 3D instead of Sonic R?

4 player support sounds awesome also. How does that work?
    Direct TCP/IP connection.

A Sega PC game has bug fixes? I don't buy it.
    Doesn't change the fact that the PC version of Sonic R had bugfixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
    I assume you didn't saw the screenshot I posted?
    I can ask you the same question.

I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about 3DB.

Doesn't change the fact that the PC version of Sonic R had bugfixes.
    Sonic R PC was more buggy than the Saturn version. You could stand on walls if I remember correctly, which you weren't able to do in the Saturn version. Not to mention all the lighting problems.

Direct TCP/IP connection.
    Is that still possible?

Speaking of bugs, I have a network patch on my Sonic R CD which does one thing and that is crash the game.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

VDP2 seemed to be too much for PC hardware to handle. ;p Sega PC ports seemed to require way too much hardware prowess in general, and it wasn't until Sonic R that I found one I actually wanted to play through for the differences and improvements. No translucent level, yes weather effects and longer draw distance were okay by me. I need to test this out on my shiny brand new m3D PowerVR PCX2, I think that is what I had when I first bought the PC version.

I eventually bought and played through the PC versions of the Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sonic CD, but never even tested Sonic 3D Blast. After owning 3D Blast on Saturn and trading it, I ended up preferring the Genesis version for its music and special rounds. I wonder if the PC version is more like the Genesis or Saturn versions.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Is that still possible?

Speaking of bugs, I have a network patch on my Sonic R CD which does one thing and that is crash the game.
    Yes, you just connect your PCs to a LAN router and set up a network game.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    VDP2 seemed to be too much for PC hardware to handle. ;p
    You forget that Saturn games run directly on the hardware. Sega PC ports run on top of Windows, which isn't very efficient.
    Last edited by Guntz; 07-24-2014 at 05:14 PM.

I can ask you the same question.
    What?! You didn't post any screenshot before your last post with the comparison. How was I supposed to assume you were talking about Sonic 3D?

I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about 3DB.
    Not quite. You said "The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things", which implies you're talking about two problems on the same game and only Sonic R has the Emerald track. What I don't understand is the long post with pictures about Sonic 3D when it was pretty clear I was assuming you were talking about Sonic R (hence the screenshot of Regal Ruin). A simple "I was talking about 3DB" would have sufficed.

Sonic R PC was more buggy than the Saturn version. You could stand on walls if I remember correctly, which you weren't able to do in the Saturn version.
    You can stand on ropes, which isn't a bug (on the contrary).

Not to mention all the lighting problems.
    Such as...?

Is that still possible?
    It may need some work, but I suppose so. If it isn't, there always local 4 player split-screen.

Then unninstall it. There are many possibilities that can cause that problem, it's not necessarily a bug with the game (in fact, it isn't. Otherwise the problem would remain even without that optional patch).
    Last edited by Alexrd; 07-24-2014 at 05:19 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    You forget that Saturn games run directly on the hardware. Sega PC ports run on top of Windows, which isn't very efficient.
    Actually, I was just kidding, hence the stupid face. I am fairly confident that a Pentium with a decent 2D card with at least 4MB of VRAM could run any Saturn or PS1 game if it was properly ported. That last point is the main issue, and if the target PC was supposed to have the latest PowerVR tech or whatever it gets even more complicated. Still, I played Sonic R in 1998 on my PC and it ran fine. It was Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Sega Rally and the rest of the Sega games I had to wait for or find specific CPUs to run right.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I wonder if the PC version is more like the Genesis or Saturn versions.
    It's the same as the Saturn version with a few exceptions such as a different special stage (kind of a hybrid of the Genesis and Saturn ones), weather effects removed, and the option to save. Yes, you can actually save in the game.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Thread Information