Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elysian Shadows (Dreamcast) Kickstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Totally not the same as the Shovel Knight thread. Pixel Art is not wrong, claiming to take NES graphics into account and... not taking NES graphics into account is.
    Yes.

I will have to repeat this though, it would be nice to see some damn 3D dreamcast games.
    I don't know much about this, but don't they need some more advanced dev kits to make such games?

Anyway, i'm just happy to see new games coming out for the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    But it's for a Sega console so everyone will ignore that and love it by default.
    so true

Why would a small team make a 3D engine for the Dreamcast on their first attempt? Makes no sense at all.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I will have to repeat this though, it would be nice to see some damn 3D dreamcast games.
    Why? 3D games for the Dreamcast already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Well, 2d is timeless while 3d will look dated even if done well.
    This.

I feel really mixed about this.

On the one hand, I like some of the bigger portrait art assets. I also am totally into the idea of making a funded game that can be played on the Dreamcast. Some of the particle affects look like they were done reasonably well. A lot of the backdrop art looks quite nice too, especially on the TJE-style islands in the sky-part at 0:36 of the Kickstarter video.

From the video, though, it just seems like there is a lot to be determined stylistically. The various walk cycles I saw for the characters just look incomplete. My point here isn't to bash the animator, but the character animations need to be re-done. Right now it is trapped in a state where it looks like a Game Maker or MMF game - pixel graphics that look designed for a low resolution with way too much of a 'canvas' area, jerky non-aligned animations, kind of random blend effects, and completely unstyled text boxes.

Somewhere in that video the developer is talking about taking the old, "16-bit" style gaming and bringing it up-to-date, or making it "more relevant". This just doesn't give me the sense that what is being understood is what is important. The camera zooming in and out causes all kinds of nearest-neighbor disasters on the backdrops and sprites, where one pixel is not the same size as its neighbor. I can't tell from the video, but it would be no shock to me to find pixels halfway between pixel grid boundaries - a sign of a lack of attention to detail and understanding of what can make pixel art good.

For the music, the cheesy NES instruments transition into cheesy faux-medeival-esque RPG music. Yawn.

I want to see this turn into something great, and I'll probably contribute a bit, but in its current state I think it will need a lot of work before I can recommend it very strongly to somebody. Having pixel graphics, and reminding players of the 1990s-era games that a lot of us grew up with is fine and great if done well, but that should be an attribute of a game, not the main focus of it. The focus should be the gameplay, and why it's interesting.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

There is open source 3D engines.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Outrunner

I was unimpressed with the video. One of the backdrops did look nice, but other than that, everything was ugly and bland. There's some nice art on the page, but I put more stock in the game footage. Nothing about it grabs me.

Maybe it could end up being a lot better than it looks now, but from what I've seen I sure wouldn't put money down up front.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Why does this fairly unimpressive-looking game get $50,000 fairly quickly while a spiritual sequel to one of the best games ever gets peanuts? Games exist which aren't platformers or RPGs, Kickstarter backers! Bah... it's kind of depressing, this game so so badly needs to happen, but at this rate...

I dunno, as for some others I am left fairly unimpressed by the video. Some of the graphics look pretty bland.
    It might be that the final product will have the attention and polishing required to make it great, but as is, after seeing the footage my feelings are mixed.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

$50 for a physical sounds alright (signed ones are gone) but the art style is okay-ish, the way it pans to a small text bubble...i dunno. this is gonna be like Pier Solar where i wait for impressions then end up wanting in on it later i fear

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Why does this fairly unimpressive-looking game get $50,000 fairly quickly while a spiritual sequel to one of the best games ever gets peanuts? Games exist which aren't platformers or RPGs, Kickstarter backers! Bah... it's kind of depressing, this game so so badly needs to happen, but at this rate...
    bro i don't know what that is but it looks boring

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    bro i don't know what that is but it looks boring
    Netstorm is the best real-time strategy game not made by Blizzard. It's an incredibly unique classic, still just as interesting now as it was when I first played it in late 1997. And if this game doesn't get finished, there will still be nothing else remotely like Netstorm; it's one of a kind.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Unimpressed and bland graphics pretty much sums up my feelings too, not a fan.

I posted in the Kickstarter. Backed it a little too, with some cautious hope.

I wonder if I should have set a higher goal for my kickstarted game.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
    I posted in the Kickstarter. Backed it a little too, with some cautious hope.

I wonder if I should have set a higher goal for my kickstarted game.
    Port it to the MD using the sgdk and I'll back you simple as that really! Lol

@ SEGAbits Wildside Expert fruitsofherwomb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I said my piece about this on SEGAbits...

From the videos I've seen the only impression I get from this group is that they are typical hobby game programmers, who have loads of neat ideas week to week and implement them in their engine, whilst persistently improving and rewriting but never actually finishing a game or its engine from start to finish.

Also the unprofessional-ism in the videos concerns me! Swearing and referring to the audience as “bitches” does not echo with me as being a group who take their work seriously or professionally it just raises alarm bells!

I wished them the best of luck and wait to see if they can prove me wrong
    According to them their 'Engine' is finished but they are really low on artists. We did a podcast with them yesterday, should be posted later today. They are pretty interesting dudes but I can see why some people would dislike their cursing, but then again it is who they are. I would hate for them to sell me a product and be totally fake.

Thread Information