Quantcast

Thread: How to region mod a Sega Genesis model - 1: [NTSC/JAPAN ONLY] - (Thunderblaze16)

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Genesis How to region mod a Sega Genesis model - 1: [NTSC/JAPAN ONLY] - (Thunderblaze16)

And now we've reached our final tutorial in modding a Sega Genesis model 1. I've hope they helped you learn and enjoy more about your Sega Genesis!

This region mod tutorial is ONLY for NTSC/JAPAN

Requirements:
    -4-head screw driver
    -Dremel
    -Drill
    -Multimeter (optional)
    -Something sharp
    -Soldering Iron
    -Solder
    -SPDT Toggle Switch: 2 Position: ON-ON (I got my switch from here,)
    https://console5.com/store/catalogse...=toggle+switch
    -Cables (Highly recommend 28 gauge cables for better handle. You can find the same wires I used here,)
    http://www.jameco.com/shop/StoreCata...8+gauge+cables

Alright, first let's do the basics here. Using your screw driver, fully open up the top of your Sega Genesis by removing all 6 screws from below and disconnecting the LED. Before we continue on the board itself, you well notice that you can't just insert Japanese Mega Drive games on your American Sega Genesis as they are blocked by 2 plastic corners and a bit of plastic on the front sides too. We are going to remove these plastic areas.

The best way I recommend to do this is by first removing the dust cover door inside the top shell of the model 1, it's held down by 3 screws.

-You should now only have the top shell with you, clear for drilling.
    -When you removed the 2 plastic corners, start drilling a bit on the front sides.
    -When drilling the front sides with the 2 corners already off too, start fitting your Japanese cartridge to see if the fit is will enough.

It should look like the following 2 pictures.

Now with your drill (can also be done using a dremel), locate the desired area you want to set the toggle switch in and use it to make the proper hole size to which the toggle switch can fit in. I recommend setting it up the switch inside the board last to make soldering to the toggle switch easier.

Ok now that the top shell part of the Sega Genesis has full access to the region mod, let's begin with the board.

With your screwdriver, remove the top metal shield plate to gain access to the top of the board. Now locate the jumpers, the jumpers like the image below with the text, "JP1,JP2,JP3,JP4" on the side.

Now apparently there are 2 versions of the Sega Genesis model 1 board where the jumpers are located differently. One version of the board has the jumpers located near the middle while the other version has them located near the expansion port. So to make this easier for those first starting this, let's just do the region mod on both versions of the board. So just follow the tutorial of the Sega Genesis board version you have and ignore the other.

Sega Genesis model - 1 with Jumpers near middle:

Here's a pin out diagram of the jumpers for this version of the board.

What you want to do here is locate the white trace of JP2 and with something sharp, cut off the trace between the 2 points. Make sure to cut more than the white mask that's on the board. You actually have to scrape through the green surface and sever the copper trace underneath. You only need to do this on JP2, as JP1 does not have a trace connecting the two. When finishing cutting the trace, go and quickly test it out. You can use your multimeter to test that the two points are separated. If you don't have a multimeter, best way to test this is to keep chipping away at the trace while periodically turning the system on with a game inside. If the game boots up, then the trace hasn't been cut through completely. You want it scraped up enough till the point where nothing boots, which well now take us to our next step.

With your cables, solder them in the same areas shown below. Remember that the point near the 'JP2' text should be soldered to the middle leg of your toggle switch, the other 2 points don't matter which side they are connected to on your switch. As shown in the image below, the red line is connected to the point near the 'JP2' text and middle leg of the toggle switch.

It should look like this so far. (In this image of mine, white is soldered to point across JP1, purple soldered to point across JP2 and red soldered to the JP2 point.

Now solder the other end of your 3 cables to your toggle switch (Remember, the point near the 'JP2' text should be soldered to the middle leg of your toggle switch. It doesn't matter which side you solder the other 2 cables on) Now finish this up by setting up your toggle switch inside the hole you drilled on the top shell of your Sega Genesis.

Your work should look like this so far.

Screw everything back up and your done!

END OF SEGA GENESIS MODEL - 1 WITH JUMPERS NEAR MIDDLE VERSION!

Sega Genesis model - 1 with Jumpers near the expansion port:

Here's a pin out diagram of the jumpers for this version of the board.

What you want to do here is locate the white trace of JP2 and with something sharp, cut off the trace between the 2 points. Make sure to cut more than the white mask that's on the board. You actually have to scrape through the green surface and sever the copper trace underneath. You only need to do this on JP2, as JP1 does not have a trace connecting the two. When finishing cutting the trace, go and quickly test it out. You can use your multimeter to test that the two points are separated. If you don't have a multimeter, best way to test this is to keep chipping away at the trace while periodically turning the system on with a game inside. If the game boots up, then the trace hasn't been cut through completely. You want it scraped up enough till the point where nothing boots, which well now take us to our next step.

With your cables, solder them in the same areas shown below. Remember that the point across from the point near the 'JP1' text should be soldered to the middle leg of your toggle switch, the other 2 points don't matter which side they are connected to on your switch. As shown in the image below, the yellow line is connected to the point across from the point near the 'JP1' text and middle leg of the toggle switch.

It should look like this so far. (In this image of mine, the grey cable is soldered to the point across JP1, black cable soldered to the JP1 point and White to the JP2 point)

Now solder the other end of your 3 cables to your toggle switch (Remember, the point across from the point near the 'JP1' text should be soldered to the middle leg of your toggle switch. It doesn't matter which side you solder the other 2 cables on.

Now finish this up by setting up your toggle switch inside the hole you drilled on the top shell of your Sega Genesis.. Screw everything back up and your done!

END OF SEGA GENESIS MODEL - 1 WITH JUMPERS NEAR THE EXPANSION PORT

Congrats! Now you have region modded Sega Genesis model 1!

For more Sega Genesis model - 1 modding tutorials, please visit the following link below.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ding-Tutorials
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 11-04-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

So I did the single switch region mod to allow PAL/JPN/US switching on my va2 model 1 last night. I used Nico's guide here:

https://mdpal60.net/wiki/megadrive/regionmod/start

Now if it isn't immediately apparently, Nico's guide is based on a European PAL MD model 1. So his exact steps can't be followed. But the guide listed here only tells you how to use a switch to flip between US/JPN and for that it is correct. But if you want to have the single switch for all three regions on a US Genesis, then you need to sever the +5 traces between JP2 and JP4. Once you have cut those two +5 traces, then you can follow Nico's guide to get the other regions to work.

I also found some odd glitches with this setup that don't work quite the same as I've seen on videos posted. For instance, on SOR2 (I have the not for resale version so not sure if that matters...), if you switch from US to JPN mode during the intro text scroller, it won't change to JPN characters as I've seen in videos. Instead it will do one of two things. It will either lock up pretty much instantly or within a second or two...or it will continue to scroll the text only the text turns into garbage sprite bits. If you leave it going it will eventually change and show the Bare Knuckle II title screen and work from there, but all text on cut scenes will show garbage sprites.

If you switch to JPN mode first, then the game will give the message about the game only being meant for play in the north and south america. What I have to do to get the JPN mode to work without corrupted text is to switch it immediately after the Sega logo goes away and just before or, right as the first intro panel comes up with the picture.

Most other games don't seem to care what position the switch is in when starting them up. SOR 2 if I switch to EUR mode like I did with JPN then the screen will go into a v-hold frenzy although the colors are correct. This is on a flatpanel LCD so I'm assuming the scanlines differences are causing the v-hold issues. However, I have a small PVM that usually plays PAL stuff just fine from my atari consoles, and it was also doing the v-hold scrolling issue on SOR2. All other games I tried again didn't seem to be affected at all with the switch position. I need to try sonic tonight to see if the music goes into slow mo mode when I switch to pal on the fly as I've seen.

But..yeah..that was experience with this. So you can do the single switch mod on a US genny, but have to cut both of those +5 traces first for it to work properly.

I did the single switch JPN/USA/EUR mod on a Japanese MD1 and a US Genesis 1.

On a Japanese console, you need to cut JP1 and JP4.
    On a US console, you need to cut JP2 and JP4.
    On a Euro console, you need to cut JP2 and JP3.

Then solder a wire from the right side of either JP1 or JP3 (GND) to the center leg of the on/off/on switch. This is the US mode (ENG/NTSC).
    Solder a wire from the left side of either JP1 or JP2 to one of the outer legs of the switch. This is the Euro mode (ENG/PAL)
    Solder a wire from the left side of either JP3 or JP4 to the other outer leg of the switch. This is the Japanese mode (JPN/NTSC).

I used a on/off/on rocker switch. Instead of drilling a hole in the case, I desoldered the EXT connector and used E6000 glue to glue the switch to the motherboard in it's place. The EXT hole is the perfect size and shape for these types of switches. Since the switch is mounted to the motherboard instead of the case, it's easy to remove the motherboard as usual if you need to clean it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Does anyone have a guide for the VA7 model 1?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

That's some tidy work with that switch there Genesis32xCD, very nice.

Modded my Japanese VA6 Mega Drive with the 3-region switch. It's better than modding Genesis since you don't have to hack away at the cartridge slot.

Thread Information