Quantcast

Thread: Thunderblaze16's Sega Genesis model - 1: Modding Tutorials.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Genesis Thunderblaze16's Sega Genesis model - 1: Modding Tutorials.

For organization purposes, I've set up links to all my Sega Genesis model 1 tutorials for easy finding. I've been working on these tutorials for a while now in order to mainly help those who are just getting started in modding their Sega Genesis model - 1 system and these tutorials illustrate the steps clearly and simple for anyone to use. When I first started on modding my system, it was a real pain because there weren't many sites offering steps on how to do certain mods which made it pretty confusing and frustrating. Now with these tutorials I've made, with the help of others of course. I welcome anyone to use them and to help others from going through the hassle I've went through of finding and understanding these mods. Not only that but to also to enjoy your Sega Genesis a little longer in life.

Enjoy and happy soldering!

If your looking for a place that sales the same gold jacks that I used on these tutorials. Make sure to visit console5.com who sell not only sell the jacks, but the toggle switches and much more!
    http://console5.com/store/parts/av-jacks.html

Sega Genesis model - 1: Overclock/Halt
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...d-NOTHING-ELSE

Sega Genesis model - 1: AV/Stereo
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...enesis-Model-1

Sega Genesis model - 1: S-video
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...enesis-Model-1

Sega Genesis model - 1: LED Replacement
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...nderblaze16%29

Sega Genesis model - 1: Region (NTSC/JAP ONLY)
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...nderblaze16%29

CAUTION: A FEW THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND BEFORE GETTING READY TO MOD.

Make sure to find an area where you can reach your tools, mainly your soldering iron and have something to work on top of to catch all the small junk that might go around. You can use paper towels or an old shirt I like did, of course make sure to not have your soldering iron laying on it.

Always try to keep the head tip of your soldering iron clean to allow the solder to properly flow through the soldering areas. The way to do this is to simply and gently rub it down a couple of times on a wet sponge, followed by adding small dabs of solder to the soldering iron head tip and rubbing it back to the wet sponge. You'll know the soldering iron is good to go for soldering when the head tip has a nice shiny look to it.

When you first open up your model 1 by taken off the 6 screws below it. Not only should you disconnect the LED from it's connector so you can put aside the top shell of the model 1 away for the time but also remove the dust cover door piece that has 3 screws holding it so you have more room when applying and dealing with the jacks you'll be placing after drilling.

Also when removing the shield plate on top of the board. There will be 1 small screw near the regulators that may be dabbed in some colorful type of glue such as blue or red. This may be the most annoying screw to remove on the whole board, mainly because of that glue around it. With something sharp, try and scrape off as much of the glue around it before trying to remove it.

If your lucky, you might just be able to remove it like the rest of the other screws but if your one of those people with that rare screw that just couldn't screw it off regularly and ended up stripping the screw, there's still hope. First let me just say this metal shield is NOT necessary for the Sega Genesis to work properly. Did you know the Mega Drives in Japan didn't even come with top metal shield plates inside them? Plus it will be in the way of your inside mods, so what I'm simply saying is this metal shield plate can be tossed away.
    With all the screws holding the shield plate being off except for the 1 screw were talking about still being there. Lift the entire shield plate and just keep rotating it.

As your rotating the board while pulling it off, the plate will eventually come off.

After removing all visible screws from the motherboard, there are still 2 things preventing you from fully being able to remove the board. It's a screw hiding under the audio jack and a metal flap near it. Just unscrew that screw regularly and flip out the metal flap.

With the motherboard fully removed, there are still 4 more small screws that need to be removed, 2 screwed to the regulators and 2 underneath. Be careful to NOT strip these screws off. Use full strength when removing them, mainly the 2 underneath as they also have that colorful glue added on them but at least on the end of them. Try and scrape as much of the glue off around those 2 screws too before trying to remove them.

While dealing with the motherboard, take some time to bend the pins inside the cartridge slot. Games will work most likely in the first try of inserting it to the system.

Before drilling holes to the upper case for you Sega Genesis, get into a closet size area, because the plastic WILL go all over the place. I personally recommend getting an extension cord and doing it in your bathtub with the curtains closed, easier to clean as you can wash it all out into the drain. Also where some type of goggles/glasses to protect your eyes.

Also get some masking tape and with a marker, mark the areas where your planning on drilling because there are plastic stands and small areas blocking the way.

As your drilling, keep fitting in the toggle switch, av/stereo jack and s-video jack in order to know when your getting a tight fit and not over-drill the board. Keep extra attention with the s-video jack, mind you as it's the biggest one to drill for.

When putting back your Sega Genesis, make sure the AC jack cable is aligned like it was originally by the 3 plastic pieces to stay in place and prevent it from popping up. For extra grip, place some electric duct tape on the side of the jack or use a tad of hot glue.

Use hot glue if you are fully sure your finishing modding the system properly or at the very least the bottom of the board and have no reason to unscrew it from it's bottom shell.

Those are all the tips I have to share for now, if anyone likes to add something else, please feel free to do so.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 11-04-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thunderblaze16 again.
    guess i'll be back then - great links, man! thanks for this.

Very nice! This should get a sticky! I wish I had seen this yesterday. I had no idea Console5 was selling RCA jacks. I was searching all last night for that style. At least I know where to get them next time.

A nice alternative to some cheap RCA's but not gold plates is Tayda Electronics:

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/cat.../result/?q=rca

Hey excellent work, it's good to see knowledge getting shared in the community. I also have some tutorials I will link and hopefully this gets a sticky.
    I currently only have Capacitor replacement and Cart ROM Replacement tutorials done. But have many more to add. Most of which I have done but need to write up on.
    I see you have done a Model 1 Overclock guide so I might add a Model 2 Overclock. I will also be adding -
    Switchless Region Mod,
    Mega Amp Mods(Which sounds amazing),
    YM3438 Upgrade,
    Ceramic 68000k Upgrade.

I could use some help to complete my Capacitor replacement tutorial as I have do not own every model of Genesis/Megadrive. If you have a motherboard I have not listed and are willing to do a Capacitor list for that board I would very much appreciate it. I would love for the tutorial to have every revision.

You can check out what I've done so far - http://meg4drive.imgur.com/
    In the middle of writing up the Mega Amp tutorial right now.

I did a recap for one of the members here and I used SMD Tantalum caps Case Size "B" since those will outlast any electrolytic cap and sure it's a little pricier but the assurance that it will outlast any other standard recap is nice.

Dat blue LED.

I like blue myself but god damn that shit is bright, will likely need to add or replace the resistor with a much higher rating one to kill that bat signal intensity.

Lol I took the picture right over the system and the led was a little more popped out than before snugging inside a little more.
    I'll just take a better picture tomorrow, it was a rainy day that time anyways.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

No component mod? I'm getting my model 1 and SCD model 2 tricked out. I'm really excited. All I've done to it myself is widen the cart slot and install a pink LED, the rest will be done by someone who knows which end of a soldering iron to grab.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Wow, Thunderblaze16, you sure made your Genesis look different, although I wonder:
    1. Doesn't overclocking make your games play like old CGA games on a top of the line DOS computer from 1997.
    2. Why put AV jacks when you can just either use a m1 to m2 converter and use those cables or just use a 3.5mm to Red/White cable and plug directly into your sound system.
    3. If RGB Scart/Component is better than S-Video, why not just get a CRT capable of component, that's what my oldest son did.
    4. What's so wrong with the stock LED.
    5. Just use a Game Genie to play import games because the shape of the cartridge is the only thing stopping you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGenesis View Post
    Wow, Thunderblaze16, you sure made your Genesis look different, although I wonder:
    1. Doesn't overclocking make your games play like old CGA games on a top of the line DOS computer from 1997.
    2. Why put AV jacks when you can just either use a m1 to m2 converter and use those cables or just use a 3.5mm to Red/White cable and plug directly into your sound system.
    3. If RGB Scart/Component is better than S-Video, why not just get a CRT capable of component, that's what my oldest son did.
    4. What's so wrong with the stock LED.
    5. Just use a Game Genie to play import games because the shape of the cartridge is the only thing stopping you.
    1. No? Reduces the hell out of slow down for games like Mega Man The Wily Wars or games that simply have way too much on screen.
    2. Simply for the inconvenience of not being limited to only a certain amount of cables.
    3. S-video itself for the MD still looks damn good, plus with the upcoming model 1 & 2 retrovision component cables coming out soon. You will most likely won't have to worry about hooking up your system to a tv that offer's s-video or higher.
    4.For me the stock led simply looks tiny and red doesn't appeal to me as much blue does. This one is entirely on your decision though.
    5. If you had no game genie like I did for the longest time, this mod is the next best thing and not requiring an accessory to do so too.

Currently polishing the hell out of all my mod threads for the model 1 MD including this one. If I ever leave modding for the model 1 MD, I want to make sure I leave these tutorials simple and understanding enough to be child-proof modding guides.

Let no Genesis behind.

Thread Information