Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiplat Games: Saturn & PS1

Wildside Expert

Default Multiplat Games: Saturn & PS1

When it comes to 6th gen and 7th gen multiplats I opt for the Sony version of a game, unless the Nintendo or Microsoft version has extra features. In the case of the 5th gen, I'm less clear. Most of the 5th gen games I've been buying have been exclusives, but I have come across some titles that I used to think were PS1 exclusives, but were actually multiplats with a Saturn version. The most recent examples are Destruction Derby and a Street Fighter Alpha title that I saw at a local game shop (both in longbox cases for about $10-12). I didn't buy them because there were other games that I wanted more that day. While doing a search for PAL Saturn games on ebay, I discovered that both games had a Saturn version (at least in Europe). Once I found that out, I decided not to buy the PS1 copies. I know that may sound fanboyish, but I like buying Sega when I can, even though I'm a Sony fan as well (Sega is my number 1 favorite though).

So what do you guys choose when it comes to a game that was available on both Saturn and PS1?

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Had you posed this question 5 to 6 years ago, I would have said the Saturn. But these days I`ll often seek out the definitive version of the game whether it is on the Saturn or the Playstation. The only thing that may influence my purchase is if the cost is exorbitant.
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 09-06-2014 at 12:55 AM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I used to want to buy Saturn anything, but over time I realized that cost was more important than negligible differences - or in some cases, flat out worse differences (e.g., Resident Evil SAT vs PS1; PS1 wins very clearly, and is about 4/5 cheaper).

Now I know that Saturn Capcom fighters are generally held as best of the best, but in cases like Darkstalkers, or Alpha 3, I don't think these accuracies are enough to go and buy a Saturn over, unless all you are doing is playing fighting games (do they even play Alpha 3 or Darkstalkers at tournaments?). Plus PS1 has some good exclusives of its own like Rival Schools and Marvel Vs. Capcom. Or you can just get all the good fighting games on the DC and skip the Saturn entirely.

So in general, I go for PS1. There aren't enough Saturn-dominating cross-plats to justify the extra expense. If you can play imports on your PS1/2, then you've solved the one major advantage for the Saturn, which is ease of playing imports.

Granted, I am talking all about NTSC-U and NTSC-J games, so I have no clue how PAL is figured into the mix (probably to everyone's detriment; sorry!).

Quote Originally Posted by TailsCD View Post
    The most recent examples are Destruction Derby and a Street Fighter Alpha title that I saw at a local game shop (both in longbox cases for about $10-12). I didn't buy them because there were other games that I wanted more that day. While doing a search for PAL Saturn games on ebay, I discovered that both games had a Saturn version (at least in Europe).
    I would think a multiple system owner would get the best game available. That's part of the reason you get all the systems in the first place, to expand your options.

In your above example, I'd go with the superior far Saturn Alpha and the PSX Destruction Derby. I'd say those are obvious choices, and generally you'd go Saturn for fighters and shooters while 3-D games tend to be better on PlayStation, though there are cases where that's not true such as Dead or Alive and Grandia. Of course, Grandia presents a potential issue with the language barrier, and some games aren't so clear cut. I'd consider something like Symphony of the Night a toss-up: Do you want the bonus features and area of the Saturn game, or do you want the better looking PSX original?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I would think a multiple system owner would get the best game available. That's part of the reason you get all the systems in the first place, to expand your options.

In your above example, I'd go with the superior far Saturn Alpha and the PSX Destruction Derby. I'd say those are obvious choices, and generally you'd go Saturn for fighters and shooters while 3-D games tend to be better on PlayStation, though there are cases where that's not true such as Dead or Alive and Grandia. Of course, Grandia presents a potential issue with the language barrier, and some games aren't so clear cut. I'd consider something like Symphony of the Night a toss-up: Do you want the bonus features and area of the Saturn game, or do you want the better looking PSX original?
    True. I try to be unbiased, but I have to admit, I do prefer certain companies over others. The PS1 and Saturn are both good systems, I guess I go for the Saturn because it's Sega, but in all honesty, it's not my favorite Sega system (that title is a tie between Dreamcast and Genesis for me). The PS1 had a better design and I can find the games much more easily. I often discover games that I didn't even know existed. With the Saturn, I'm limited to ebay so I can't browse the shelves like I can in a store.

I'll keep that in mind.

With Castlevania, it's an easy choice - the extra feature (Maria Mode) is half-baked, and the game as a whole runs worse than the PS1 version. I appreciate the attempt to give Saturn owners something different, but western CV fans are not missing out on much.

In cases like Silhouette Mirage there is a genuine debate over which is to be had. I'd say it's just easier to have the PS1 release, but people still scream about the "butchered" Working Designs port.

Wildside Expert

It seems like the Saturn ports are the worst. I guess because it was notoriously hard to program for? Oh well. I'm still buying Saturn games, but I guess I'll stick to exclusives. The search for a game that will make me want to keep coming back to the Saturn continues.

I apologize for coming off as a fanboy earlier.

Yeah, the constant loading on the Saturn game just to get in and out of the inventory screen aggravated me. I remember waiting and waiting for the Saturn game to come out, and when I finally got the game I quickly turned around and sold it. I'm not a big fan of Symphony of the Night as it is, but I waited for the Saturn release because it was expected to be the definitive version. Probably one of the most disappointing game releases I know. Still, I know some people enjoy having Maria playable, though I think most people know the new area is rather pathetic.

"Butchered" is too strong. PSX Silhouette Mirage is worse for the changes but is by no means is a terrible version of the game. Just not the one people should be playing.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I tend to take it on an individual basis and go for whichever I feel is superior. When neither version is clearly superior (e.g. Gex), I default to the Saturn version.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Raging in the Streets

I'll probably go with what's cheaper, or what makes more sense to me.

Like, I bought Rayman and Street Fighter Alpha 2 for Saturn because the controller is better for those games, but a lot of 3D games are definitely superior on Playstation.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TailsCD View Post
    It seems like the Saturn ports are the worst.
    As a general rule, the Saturn will have the better version of a 2D game (more animation, background details, etc.), with a handful of exceptions; the PS will have the better version of a 3D game (again, with a handful of exceptions).

This is obviously a total generalization, but it's also one that's well-excepted even by fanboys of each system.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I dunno, people say that a lot, but I think the exceptions are too numerous for that rule to be very useful.

2D games that are better on Playstation: In the Hunt, DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Strikers 1945 II, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Rampage World Tour

3D games that are better on Saturn: Powerslave, Wipeout, Mass Destruction, Hexen, Dead or Alive, Tempest 2000

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

i usually buy whatever is available and cheapest
    and that is usually the ps1 version but im not too fussy
    Kitsune in a hat

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Rampage World Tour is actually better on N64. The PS1 and Saturn versions are only two player! Hexen is best on the N64 as well. It's got four player splitscreen, and slightly better graphics. But yeah, between the Saturn and PS1, there is no absolute there; those are mostly good examples of 2d games better on PS1 and 3d games better on Saturn.

The only one I'd say you are kind of wrong about is Wipeout. Wipeout inarguably has better graphics on PS1; the Saturn version is downgraded, I have both versions. They also removed the two player system-link mode, so on Saturn the game is one player only. Even so, I do like the game more on Saturn because they changed the controls; they removed the PS1s system where you lose ALL acceleration every time you touch the walls, and replaced it with the one you see in the rest of the series where you only lose some acceleration. That makes the game much more fun to play. But because of the somewhat downgraded graphics and missing multiplayer, it definitely gets an asterisk.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Rampage World Tour is actually better on N64. The PS1 and Saturn versions are only two player! Hexen is best on the N64 as well. It's got four player splitscreen, and slightly better graphics. But yeah, between the Saturn and PS1, there is no absolute there; those are mostly good examples of 2d games better on PS1 and 3d games better on Saturn.

The only one I'd say you are kind of wrong about is Wipeout. Wipeout inarguably has better graphics on PS1; the Saturn version is downgraded, I have both versions. They also removed the two player system-link mode, so on Saturn the game is one player only. Even so, I do like the game more on Saturn because they changed the controls; they removed the PS1s system where you lose ALL acceleration every time you touch the walls, and replaced it with the one you see in the rest of the series where you only lose some acceleration. That makes the game much more fun to play. But because of the somewhat downgraded graphics and missing multiplayer, it definitely gets an asterisk.
    Way to stay on-topic ABF, N64 must always be thrown in the ring too!!

I always go for Saturn version unless ridiculously expensive. Its usually slightly better. Like Croc, both versions have on-par graphics, but the Saturn version has better audio.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thread Information