Quantcast

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New project: New background graphics for SSF2

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

maxxfarras: I wrote my own tools specifically for the PCE version; the same would have to be done for the MD version. But- we actually used Photoshop to make all changes and do the actual work. We were able to starting working on the final output before I had even finished the conversion utilities:

The idea is that we used a layer that had 14 unique colors (the game reserved 2 BG subpalettes for the status bar, so we only had access to 14 subpalettes). Each color used blocks that were the size of tiles (8x8 pixels). And each color represented a subpalette (see pic 1 and 2). In Photoshop, it doesn't have support for organizing colors into groups, inside a 256 palettized image. So this was our method of keeping track. We would use the selection tool, highlight single color areas of the 'palette map' (or layers, as I had them both a single layer and individual layers), use that mask to cut the pixels from the image (block/tile aligned) and bring it into another window. We worked on reducing the colors down to 15+1, then copy that back over to WIP psd.

So we didn't have sorted subpalettes yet, but we did have all sections of 'tiles' under each color of the 'pal map' layer in accordance to what the system could show for that given subpalette. Once to our liking, we converted (flattened) the pixel image to 'indexed' color (none of them in the right order). The same was done to the 'pal map' layer (flattened and output as indexed color image). I wrote a utility took both images and created a tilemap (with palette association), tiles, and palette block in the native system format. It also created another bitmap file output that we could reopen in an editor. This image had all the colors associated to a specific subpalette (see the last pic), encoded with a slight difference to the RGB steps. Normally, you use steps of 36 for emulate 9bit RGB in editors. This leaves room for slight differences or offsets, that are ignored when converting back into the native console color format. Subpalette #0 would have a R+0,G+0,B+0, subpalette #1 as a R+0,G+0,B+1, subpalette #2 as a R+0,G+1,B+0, subpalette #3 as a R+0,G+1,B+1, etc. This allowed us to see the palette block in relation to the image, and edit or optimize as needed; you make changes to that one color in that one 16 color block, and nothing outside that block will get effected.

You could use this method for the Genesis as well, but you need to think about this in two BG layers instead of one. Of course, you'd have to write supporting tools for it as well.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Some versions of mame also have a mode where you can view the isolated layers - as a whole and not just the screen (i.e. the whole map file). I did this to rip SF2:CE layers before in mame
    I did a search but could not discover which version of MAME you might have used, any chance you still remember which one it was?
    Because I love art converting, and it would be fun to look into Super SF2.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I did a search but could not discover which version of MAME you might have used, any chance you still remember which one it was?
    Because I love art converting, and it would be fun to look into Super SF2.
    I don't remember off hand, but this looks familiar to me: http://soronline.net/mamerips.htm
    There's this as well: http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/623-Ho...nts-using-MAME
    And this: http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0

Probably quite a few sites out there.

You'd probably have to join a mame community/forum, and ask which version would be the best for this. Or the sprite/bg ripping community and ask the same.

Hmm, I tried that MAME32XT Version 0.134 version, and while it controls exactly like stated on the site
    it just doesn't show a background for me, I just get an empty blue tilemap screen.

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Hi!
    I will be busy and I will can not work in SSF2 for the next two weekends, so I decided post this little update.
    Please note that old graphics which are not inserted yet, look like garbage. So use the file under your own risk
    A half of work is done so far. Check for the blanka stage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmw4o8tsn9..._test.bin?dl=0

List of things pending:

1. The tree with the snake and the characters are not inserted yet. I need fix the graphics of the tree and redraw the characters animations for fit tilemap restrictions.

2. I must fix the color of shadows of the fighters, I'll hope do it close to the final steps.

3. I will fix the sky and sea in final step and I will do a general color hack of two backgrounds planes for a little more polished look.

Stef: Please forgive me, for some reason I used your hacked version of SSF2 for this test. I hope dont bother you. Anyway, the final version of blanka stage will be released in a clean new patch/rom.

Tomaitheous: the tool that you wrote for the version of pc engine of street fighter looks amazing. You have total control over the tilemap, right? I meant, you could insert any background that you wish in the rom so your only limitation is Vram, right?

With a tool like that, without tilemap restrictions, the hack of SSF2 for megadrive could it be waaay easier to do and even closer to the arcade.

Tomaitheous, do you have future plans for release a similar tool for the megadrive version some day? Could it be amazing
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

congratulations maxxfarras! I tested now and the level of detail of the houses in the background improved ridiculously high.
    The floor seems that with some more adjustments will be great too, am anxious to see this work completed!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Wow, such a nice job! You put to shame CAPCOM...can't wait to see it finished!
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Road Rasher

Wow, great job so far maxx

Hero of Algol

Awesome, maxxfarras!
    Congrats for your first milestone!

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Thanks guys. Even when I cant post very often I really apreciate much all your support and feedback.

Pyron, I will have a look on the adjustment of the floor when finish to insert all blanka graphics. Fortunately floor is not so difficult to reinsert in this case. The issue for me is to find the correct size.

Respect to some observations that Barone did before, I also notice posterization issues in SF2 SCE but they are very minor IMO. I dont remember posterization issues besides a little on the floor in Chun Li stage. Mmmh...maybe Guille and Sagat stages need more textures on the floor when compared to arcade version, but no sure if is in my capabilities fix it because of tilemap restrictions. However overall the color hack of Pyron was enough for fix the graphics for this game.

Respect to SSF2, IMO the best aproach could be a color hack with combinated reinsertion of graphics. Reinsert all the background graphics for each stage could be a pain and maybe unnecesary. Maybe a color hack could it be enough for the Guille stage for example. But I say this from memory, not had checked it very carefully yet.

Pyron and Barone, do you think that a color hack could be enough for fix the sprites like in SF2 SCE? I meant, the sprites not suffer of posterization? Could be great if some of you guys also decide work in SFF2 in some future for a more complete hack hehe.

But well, first I must finish Blanka stage and wait to see if the final result of this hack is good.
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

maxxfarras for the characters I'm pretty sure that adjusting the palette is enough and I am at your disposal to help

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

While messing around with my own installed Mame (with enormous romset) I suddenly realized the F4 tilemap does work on this one.
    only problem was that the fish didn't show up, so I had to rip it by screenshot and resize.

Banned by Administrators

Will the clouds in blanka stage ever move or e honda tub sign have red and yellow instead of gray colors for "version 7 sf2sce audio hack" or a md rom ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Will the clouds in blanka stage ever move or e honda tub sign have red and yellow instead of gray colors for "version 7 sf2sce audio hack" or a md rom ever ?
    Only if skilled enough people would be willing to create a tool to reinsert new backgrounds that behave differently.

The magic 8ball points to..

Last edited by NeoVamp; 09-20-2014 at 11:49 PM.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NeoVamp again.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Thread Information