Quantcast

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: New project: New background graphics for SSF2

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chev Chelios View Post
    Hey Max good morning
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but we like you and your project so much, we do not want to lose everything that has already been done.
    Refresh the topic for people.

We know you're busy, but we want this wonderful project here again.
    We are in a year and a time of glory, we will have Tanglewood, Xeno Crisis, Tšnzer, Papi Commando Reload,
    FX unit Yuki, a future port of Shinobi, port of Darius, in the near future Crypt of Dracula and a forbidden dream with Paprium.
    Complete this saga with your Super Street Fighter, perhaps celebrating the 30th anniversary of Mega Drive.
    Sorry for my late reply chev chelios.
    Thanks for your nice words. I apologize with you and the community for not more share advances of SSF2 project and for dissapear this years. You know that life sometimes suck and sometimes things are beyond own control. Indeed I been working on the SSF2 project again slowly but I prefer not to show advances yet. I prefer wait when I got at least two more stages completely done. The reason for this is not create again hype for people interested in it and then possibly stop to work in it again and repeat the same error. So I prefer to show something when I get a sure and real advance
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

I would like to participate to your project since I have some skills in graphic design. Is there a Discord or something about this project? Is this still actual?
    I need to set Photoshop to follow the Genesis limitations colours and get the background sprites.
    Last edited by gio; 09-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    My Top20 Sega Genesis Soundtrack (It is no longer updated, but it is the only video I made​​! And it's game by game, not track by track. You can play blindtest.)

Genesis

Let me show you what I did yesterday:

My edited version used 30 colours from the 512 colours of the Mega Drive palette. The only thing I haven't checked (I don't know how to do it) is if my 30 colours do not mix two different palettes on tiles. I did not make two palettes of 16 colours, I only used 30 colors taken from the MegaDrive palette.

On Photoshop (this is the soft I use) I generated a grid that divided the image into 8x8 pixels squares (without knowing if it fits to the actual grid of the background, although I have good reason to think so because it was cut in many key places and I framed the original sprite to the pixel) and I noticed that in no squares there were plenty of different colors. I would say that in the worst case a tile contains 10 colors max. Much less in most cases. Never more than 16, that for sure.

So I'm convinced that we can get something extremely close to what I did, if not the same, and even much better I think. Because knowing the rules of palettes that can not be mixed, I tried to limit the number of colors to the maximum when I worked on a given area. And I think I limited myself more than needed.

In many respects, I can do really much much better than that, it was only a quick try, I wanted a fast result. One example among so many: the gradient of the sky, I would have liked to improve it (it can be waaaay better), but the problem is that it would create new tiles. I did not want to do that for the moment. Maybe in the future I'll show you another version.

There is a loooot of things that can be improved (and that I could do very well), but only by altering the graphics. For example by adding the greenery in the distance that we see on the arcade version. That's why I'm very interested in this project, you do not have Discord or something like that?
    Last edited by gio; 09-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    My Top20 Sega Genesis Soundtrack (It is no longer updated, but it is the only video I made​​! And it's game by game, not track by track. You can play blindtest.)

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

It looks like you only did an out of spec palette swap. Successful palette hacks are already available, with Pyron's massive work standing out.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...master-Project

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ht=color+hacks
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It looks like you only did an out of spec palette swap. Successful palette hacks are already available, with Pyron's massive work standing out.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...master-Project

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ht=color+hacks
    As I said, it was only a quick try to get a fast result. So yes, I almost did not changed the graphics yet. Mostly because I don't know what are the "rules" to get something you can run. Without underestimate the fantastic work of Pyrron I think it still can be improved in some respects. At least I would like to try. I would be glad to work with him.
    Last edited by gio; 09-19-2018 at 01:46 PM.

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Thanks for your interest with this project, gio. I sent you a pm.
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Is it possible to restore Parallax or the movement of clouds?
    Is it possible to increase the size of the characters without mending with the Hit Box?

Thread Information