Quantcast

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New project: New background graphics for SSF2

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Thumbs up

Excellent work so far. VERY promising.

I agree that Blanka's stage looks really bad in SSF2. I don't think other stages need fixing, but Blanka's definitely does.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I would like to point out that my stage rip is just a stage rip, no Sega conversion has been done yet.

Figured someone might be more willing to tackle it if its actually available to work on.

Banned by Administrators

How is this coming along ? That guile stage (I guess was the improved pc engine version) looks great.

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Hi! Im back. Sorry because took me so long to post, I was working in the hack
    Im close to insert all the graphics for blanka stage! (NeoVamp, thanks for the ripped graphics, it was useful).

Here are two screenshots of my updated hack from emulator regen, I had to redraw the green tree and the characters for fit tilemap restrictions and fit animations parts. So far, only left to insert the animations of the characters in the windows. When I finish to insert them, I will release a preliminar patch, so people will can test it and give me valuable criticism for try to improve it (for example for adjust the floor). Also maybe Pyron can do a final color hack for get a more polished and acurate look! (Thanks Pyron for offer me your valuable help!)

Here the two pics so far:

subir imagenes gratis

subefotos

I found faster and more efficient ways to insert graphics, so Im motivate to continue to try with Ken stage and then maybe with Cammy stage. I found this work relaxing and fun hehe.

I will insert a stretched version of the following optimized 16 color pic in ken stage (also I will try to fix a little more the detail in the floor of this pic):

imag

Also Im working to optimize the colors of the another background layer for ken stage. The other background not involve so many elements like this one, so I hope must be easier, even when some colors are reserved.

If source code could be avalaible, the graphics could be more acurate, color and detail. For example you could use a little sprite for improve the green shirt of the old man in ken stage and get a better orange for the lifeward in the ship by taking colors from the other background subpalette. You could need a little more tiles but only a few of them, so I think that should be not a problem for vram. However that kind of hack is beyond of me. So I will do the hack with colors like the ken pick is now. Maybe in some future some hacker will wish to do that deeper hack.

Also, I must correct some asertions that I did in my last posts:
    8 last colors of one of the background subpalettes are reserved in SSF2 (not four, as I wrote). The colors are black, white, red, orange, yellow and three cyan blues. That colors are used for windows, fire attacks and the fight signs. So, you must not change the indexes of this colors or you will mess the graphics. You must not modify that colors unless you wish change the attack/windows colors. However, that colors can be used in any tile of the backgrounds so is not so bad deal, you only must be careful.

By the way, tomaitheous pointed that tilemap of SSF2 is uncompressed, so a question for hackers is, how so hard could it be do a hack for change the bits for subpalettes references in tilemap for each tile? Someone can elaborate how could be this done? Please, try to explain it with apples and oranges (if possible of course)
    I ask this because can be very useful to change the way that developers assigned the two subpalettes for the backgrounds. For example, for Chun Li stage and others.

Other question is that when I changed the backdrop color of blanka stage also the backdrop color of guille stage was altered, this not affected the stage colors, only affected the border color. Someone have an idea why this happen? You can check the first rom that I posted, the border color of Guille stage changed to blue, like in Blanka stage. I could wish understand the reason of this for have not problems in future with other stages hacks.

Any help will be apreciated. Thanks beforehand guys!
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

Road Rasher

Those 2 screenshots look great maxxfarras!. Much better than the original. This project rocks!

its just amazing maxxfarras congratulations, please late take a look in dee jay stage.. this one is a crap in md version.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Wow, really impressive! Your work should be slapped in the face of SNES fanboys, truly.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by maxxfarras View Post
    I found faster and more efficient ways to insert graphics
    Please, could you share more details about this with us?

Why the ground looks filtered?
    Still a good job!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Any chance of some before and after screenshots?

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Any chance of some before and after screenshots?
    just take a relugar screen in internet and put side by side

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Banned by Administrators

Great job so far;would be great if Stef can figure out why there are instrument problems for the audio update and pyron could do a color hack.
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-27-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks for the support words guys, Im trying my best.
    Also i will try to optimize and improve colors even more for the ken stage pic before to insert it in the rom.

Barone wrote:
    Please, could you share more details about this with us?
    Oh, it is nothing technical or special. Maybe is more correct to say that I becomed more familiar with tools, thats all. Is just that I realized that I could took a big screenshot of all tiles of blanka stage in tile molester and work almost totally in paint shop pro editor. This can sound obvious but for some reason I didnt noticed in the beggining.

Pyron wrote:
    please late take a look in dee jay stage.. this one is a crap in md version.
    Even when looks bad, dee jay stage dont look so bad compared with blanka and ken stage IMO. Even so, indeed needs a fix IMO.I will have a look in it when I finish with cammy stage.

Pyron, do you think that a color hack could it be enough for the front plane and then reinsert graphics in back plane for dee jay stage? Or you consider that all graphics should be reinserted?

Could it be nice have a global diagnose for graphics of this game and how can be fixed. Maybe you, Barone and LinkueiBR could make a diagnose for decide which places could be fixed for do just a color hack without reinsert graphics.

For example Guille stage have good enough detail and not look washed.

Edit: Pyron I replied your pm!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    just take a relugar screen in internet and put side by side
    Well, while tree, crowd and pallete look ridiculous better, floor looks bad. You are probably importing directly the arcade floor not taking into account the resolution downgrade. Maybe you should work directly on MD floor and redraw/improve it. Also, right roof is loosing too much detail when you have the colors and maybe the blues on crowd could be improved and make them closer to the greens of the stage. That way you might use more shades on the peoples clothes.

Really good job there.

linkueiBR wrote:
    Why the ground looks filtered?
    Still a good job!
    Hi! no idea, the screenshot is not filtered, I suposse that is a strange consecuence of the "3d effect" on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dr apocalipsis View Post
    Well, while tree, crowd and pallete look ridiculous better, floor looks bad. You are probably importing directly the arcade floor not taking into account the resolution downgrade. Maybe you should work directly on MD floor and redraw/improve it. Also, right roof is loosing too much detail when you have the colors and maybe the blues on crowd could be improved and make them closer to the greens of the stage. That way you might use more shades on the peoples clothes.

Really good job there.
    Thanks for your support and valuable feedback!

Definitively I will try to adjust the floor resolution, which I think is the main issue. I hope should not be so hard to do.

For the other issue I tried to change the blue tone for other one but was not possible because limitations of the hack, that tone is shared with sky but for some reason I could not find a way for change sky color. So I see 3 possibilities for try to fix it:

1. The very hard way could it be to use little sprites (for blue pants clothes) by taking colors from the second palette which contains many blues shades . This hack is definitively beyond of my capabilities.

2. The not so hard way could it be try a tilemap hack for get more shades of blue in pants clothes of characters from second palette by hacking the subpalette reference for tiles that are used for the pants clothes. But not sure if I will be able to do such hack, never tried before and I must learn the way.

3. The last way is a cheap easy trick but not sure if will look good, I must experiment first.

The last option is just leave as it is and I live with it

For the roof issue I could need to rework too much the graphics for fix it. It dont look so bad
    (my personal taste), so I will left as is it.

Thread Information