Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: different approach to a Top 5: what you think others think

Master of Shinobi

Default different approach to a Top 5: what you think others think

Inspired by this http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ght=list+games

What do YOU think the REST of the people think are the best 5 games (only 5: not one single more), the ones any newcomer should try? I suggest four of them (yes in THAT particular order):

1) Streets of Rage II
    2) Thunder Force IV
    3) Gunstar Heroes
    4) Sonic 2
    5) Phantasy Star IV

other candidates: Aladdin, SF2'SCE, Shining Force II, NBA Jam TE, NHL'94 and S3&K

What do YOU think OTHERS think?
    Last edited by chilled; 09-09-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Hmm... Well, I don't know about a general consensus, but...

Streets of Rage II
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Mutant League Football
    Columns
    Phantasy Star IV

...I figure that should be varied enough to give the general gist of what the Genesis has to offer. Come to think of it, I should probably have had something with shooting in there too, but it's still 5 very different genres.
    Last edited by midnightrider; 09-08-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Road Rasher

Sonic 1,2 and 3 + S&K

NHL Hockey

Micro machines

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Chilled, I would imagine your list is pretty accurate since those games typically represent the pinnacle of their respective franchises. That's if I'm understanding the meaning of this thread correctly, in which case Midnightrider's choices of MLF and Columns are a bit strange since not many people would choose those games.

I wouldn't add SF2:SCE as the game has been retired by newer entries in the series, not to mention better ports on more advanced hardware.

It could even be something like Aladdin for all I know, that game seems popular with people.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    1) Streets of Rage II
    2) Thunder Force IV
    3) Gunstar Heroes
    4) Sonic 2

I'm not sure about the fifth, I'm considering SF2'SCE, PSIV (or SFII?), NBA Jam TE and S3&K (already a Sonic game, would replace it probably) as the more popular candidates.
    Those four look right on that list IMO. Alien Soldier is better than GH IMO but it lacks 2P mode and it wasn't released in US, so it will never rank as high as GH in most people's lists.
    I'd say PSIV is probably the fifth one. It would also make your list almost perfectly rounded IMO.

Master of Shinobi

Yes Overdrone & Barone understood better what I was trying to explain in my English-ish.

I don't think people consider Alien Soldier a better game than GH (from a technical achievement POV yes sure, but GH has better gameplay, 2P, same amount of Treasure flickering), and I don't think its rarity makes it less popular (I think if Comix Zone was a Japanese exclusive it would have almost the same amount of cult, gem status as A.Soldier). And Aladdin isn't on the list because many people don't consider it that good (I still think it could make a top 5 like this one, over PSIV), even if it's supposed to be the top MD game seller of all time.

I'm not sure about the Sonic 2 VS S3&K thing but I don't expect this to be resolved anytime soon. Someone has worldwide sales figures for S2, S3 and S&K? (counting games sold bundled with consoles). I'm just curious.

I'm adding PSIV for the moment.

Hero of Algol

I don't think people consider Alien Soldier a better game than GH (from a technical achievement POV yes sure, but GH has better gameplay,
    Well, most people probably not but the hardcore Mega Drive gamers seem to consider that Alien Soldier's gameplay is better.
    Actually, GH is pretty much your classic run n' gun in terms of gameplay, but very well executed. Alien Soldier is in a different level in terms of gameplay IMO, it's far more innovative and gives you a lot more possibilities than GH.
    But, by your criteria, keep GH there; no doubt.

And, yes, I think the inclusion of PSIV is a good move.

It was some time ago and now I'm not sure how I stumbled across this site but:

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=topsega05

I thought this top 10 list here is pretty darn close to my own. Personally, it's hard to pick 5!

Master of Shinobi

Barone I actually prefer AS myself but I think part of the praise of the game (not yours) comes from its hidden gem status ie being US unreleased. It did get released in Europe when the MD was still not yet completely bashed bu the whold DKC debacle and it didn't make a fuss. I'm curious of what your view of Aladdin in regards of this list is.

EDIT: Also you meant "rounded" in terms of? (genre diversity?)
    Last edited by chilled; 09-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Alien Soldier is the better game IMO, but it will never be as popular as GH. It's just not anywhere near as accessible - but once it clicks it's brilliant design shines through.

AS was a thankyou gift from Treasure to the Japanese players that had supported their releases and Sega's machine, it says so right there on the title screen. A brilliantly realised deviation from the standard Contra-style game with a learning curve and difficulty to test the best gamers.

Master of Shinobi

still, it has LOTS of flickering (just as GH and many others), at least on real hardware, but I reckon this has yet to be acknowledged as a flaw by the gaming critique community in the forum level where I belong.

Flickering & slowdown to me is just bad programming: asking the hardware to do things it can't do. The latter is cleverly used to balance gameplay (ie shooters ...or Sonic) and there are notable exceptions to good intentional use of the flickering but 99% of the time it's just 'hey, look all those enemies all at once on screen' even if you just see bits of each one... This was worse in the previous generation, though. But from this POV, games like Aladdin or S3&K should deserve more praise (they do flicker less). But again, it just from a technical analysis.

What do YOU think the REST of the people think are the best 5 games (only 5: not one single more), the ones any newcomer should try? I suggest four of them (yes in THAT particular order):
    I don't like lists, but i'll bite this one:

For a newcomer, he has to go through the early days of the Genesis. Only then he will know if he can handle all the Blast Processing :

1) Revenge of Shinobi
    2) Castle of Illusion
    3) Thunder Force II
    4) Golden Axe
    5) Herzog Zwei

Also, anyone new to the Genesis has to play Altered Beast at least 10 times

Alien Soldier really doesn't flicker much at all dude. And when it does, rest assured the trade off was worth it.

You wanna see flicker, play the Rainbow Islands port (still a great port though).

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    I don't like lists, but i'll bite this one:

For a newcomer, he has to go through the early days of the Genesis. Only then he will know if he can handle all the Blast Processing :

1) Revenge of Shinobi
    2) Castle of Illusion
    3) Thunder Force II
    4) Golden Axe
    5) Herzog Zwei

Also, anyone new to the Genesis has to play Altered Beast at least 10 times
    castle of Illusion I've not played but I have played in 2 player world of Illusion and its not often to see 2 player plaforming games, so I would pip for that as its a better game than Aladdin which would be my first choice for a Disney game as a single player game that I've played

Master of Shinobi

oh yes it flickers, at least the European version on my European consoles...
    but I agree it's totally worth it, though.

Thread Information