Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Demons of Asteborg: new platformer on Kickstarter!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Scrobins09's Avatar

Default Demons of Asteborg: new platformer on Kickstarter!

I haven’t seen any postings for this game so I wanted to bring everyone’s attention to a promising new game on Kickstarter. They’re a company called Neofid Technology, and they’re presenting Demons of Asteborg as a platformer in the spirit of Ghouls ‘n Ghosts and Castlevania, with a Panzer Dragoon-inspired bonus level.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-drive-genesis

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RvR's Avatar

It actually looks quite impressive. Its graphically very ambitious, I wonder if this would be better as a 32X game.

It does look good. And worth supporting despite a pretty hefty price tag.
    It will be fun to watch it's progress. I pledged.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

That looks great. Who's involved with that? It looks surprisingly nice.

A nice surprise, the project scope seems really ambitious and there is much to improve on. I'm very tempted to support this guys.

P.S.: The cemetery OST is superb!

Nameless One

Will have a look and most likely jump on board, thanks for posting it up!

Don't know if I am reading it wrong, but seems the 75 GBP // 90 GBP options are identical, just cost more?
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Mega CD Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadarko View Post
    Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Don't know if I am reading it wrong, but seems the 75 GBP // 90 GBP options are identical, just cost more?
    I think one of those options comes with a Nintendo Switch copy and the other one doesn't, but I'm not sure.

The game looks awesome and I think I'll back it for the rom. It definitely looks like the type of game I want to play.

Sports Talker

I'm sceptical this is a real game, they show a lot of nice stuff in the "demo", but for this to run on a real sega hardware I don't know...please prove me wrong

WCPO Agent

I am presuming the screenshots and .gifs are from the Switch version because the resolution alone is way too high for any retro console, the images are 680 px wide. Also I looked at the last picture (looks like some kind of world map?) in Photoshop and it has > 256 colors so that's another giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    It actually looks quite impressive. Its graphically very ambitious, I wonder if this would be better as a 32X game.
    I would love to see that but I doubt there is enough demand.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

It looks like the creators' first serious project. One of the gameplay gifs had 24 colors in one frame though.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I pretty sure you're not supposed to run a kickstarter without a working prototype. Aren't rules being broken if they're showing off a 'game' and all they have are animations that run on modern hardware?
    I've seen this trick a few times lately, and while I'm glad I kept quiet about it at the time, I also suspected that the Xeno Crisis kickstarter never showed anything that ran on real Sega hardware. Obviously they got XC running fine in the end, but I still had suspicion at the time.

I think it needs to become standard practice that potential backers expect to see a working prototype on actual hardware before they consider backing a game on kickstarter.

Sports Talker

I'm not backing this one unless the show/provide rom to test.. Don't want another paprium fiasco here

Wildside Expert

To me it does look like it's running on hardware, at at least an emulator. There's nothing there that isn't impossible. The bit with the Space Harrier dragon, at the very end you can see his tail glitch like their sprite setup on that frame went wonky. You can see they forgot to add a last row to the front plane because when the screen shakes you see the background plane. So to me it looks credible.

Death Adder's minion

I'm also still undecided if i should back it.

At leat it seems that they've watched several Videos of Jon Burtons Gamehut Youtube channel to get inspiration on how to do some of the special effects:

The rotating tower:

The pseude 3D wall/entry to the castle:

I've zoomed in to the GIFs and it seems there's some scaling-induced smoothing, so color count doesn't look to be a good metric here (also the world map looks like it's supposed to scroll). The bigger sticking point would be the scaling wall… but I'm probably the least appropriate person for picking on that.

I'm more worried about the art style. That title screen can't decide if it wants to be 8-bit or 16-bit, I swear.

Thread Information