Quantcast

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man X & Sega Genesis

This project is running very well and fast, congratulations to Thiago and thanks Linkuei for share.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Wildside Expert

Extremely impressive. I never imagined an MMX port could turn out this well (because palette limit), but you guys are really pulling it off. Amazing!

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Absolutely beautiful! brilliant! I was no aware of this megaman X project being so advanced!

I absolutely love how graphics looks so beautiful and music sounds impresive. Gameplay looks very acurate also! Its really delicious to see this game running without the snes slowdown in megadrive. Voices are also a very nice touch. I love it all. Looks like a true quality port should look for the true 16 bit machine!
    Congratulations to Tiagosc!

Shinobi + megaman X development in this year = wow!
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

@Black_Tiger: unsurprisingly you don't get it at all just because you actually want to damage control the PC Engine which, just like the SNES, also uses that flawed resolution of 256x224 pixels for most of its library.

The DOS version is infamous because of how shoddy it is. It uses 1:1/pixel for pixel assets, but doesn't run in 388 x 224
    The point is not a CPS1 kind of resolution but a resolution of 320x224 or 320x240 pixels just like the Mega Drive or Mega-CD usually delivers.

Only the PC Engine could do CPS resolution
    Ye and at the expense of sprites, scrollings or performance as can be seen with R-Type or Ninja Spirit which have lot of sprite flickering, limited parallax scrollings or no parallax at all and some bad cases of slowdowns.

Overall, only the Mega Drive can deliver on all fronts at once, resolution included.

Anyway Pyron further explained my point and did it very well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    we had lot of game from snes ported to md thats jumps for 320x, using the same artwork the same cartigde size and etc..

i dosen't need redraw the artwork, you just gonna show more of the screen and gain a wider view, the sames tiles of 256px game go to vram to fill the action plane, like every game ported before to MD

Also the MMX artwork is not optimized to 256px and looks correct on 320px resolution, the main problem is balance the enemy spawn because you can advance more than expected on snes game
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    to people visualize and move on...

Snes - Distorced artwork, we speaking of alot of rounded and circle art on a robt game, they did it very badly..
    also the stage boss are composed by circles and looks terrible on snes

MD - Runing in 320px, correct art showed, full screen, wider action field, same tiles on vram thats loaded on begning of the stage,
    and is easly replaced on gameplay

The game looks much better on hi res
    Great posts and perfect screenshots! Thank you. This shows exactly what I explained, that 320x224 is vastly better than 256x224 for a number of reasons:
    -wider screen estate
    -better aspect ratio once in 4:3
    -sharper picture once in 4:3
    -better gameplay thanks to more visible area
    Last edited by Yohko16; 06-13-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added "sharper picture once in 4:3"!

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

I just stumbled upon this thread and this project is freaking magnificent.
    Formerly known as -RT

Hey guys!
    TiagoSC released 3 new demos of his Mega Man X port... It's simply BEAUTIFUL!!!

VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Nice, I only wish the music was optimized for Pal 50Hz.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Sweet. Hauled my HD Genesis out of storage and located its cables. I'll give it a test run after I get back from the shooting range.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Nice, I only wish the music was optimized for Pal 50Hz.
    TiagoSC is working in a whole new custom sound driver for FM SFXs and better stereo control. So he probably will fix that!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Definitely harder than the original. Enemies seem to take more hits and move faster. Alternating between the SNES version and the opening stage ROM for the Genesis, it's pretty apparent. The roller enemies in the SNES version explode immediately when hit by a charged shot, while in this remake, they always fall and slide before exploding. The purple hovering enemies swoop in and stop in front of you, before making a second attack run in the SNES version, but seem to ram directly into you when spawning, in the remake. The hornet copters seem to take more shots to down, and the cars at the end of the stage are much faster and more prone to firing. You also have to defeat several more than you do on the SNES version. The timing for the charge shot seems different, too, but I didn't bother recording footage and timing it by frames.
    Youtube - Terminated

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Thanks for sharing it!
    It's good to see how "level 3 charge beam" looks in this port. Everything looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Definitely harder than the original. Enemies seem to take more hits and move faster. Alternating between the SNES version and the opening stage ROM for the Genesis, it's pretty apparent.
    Which is not a problem, right? I mean, the original on Snes is not that difficult for a MM game... Actually is a bit easy once you figure the robot master sequence.

If it hurts the gameplay flow I would be against it, a MM game should let you keep moving for the most part.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

I couldn't even get it to the first boss in the intro stage, so yes, the difficulty is a problem :​P (also they seem to drop health items less often)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    TiagoSC is working in a whole new custom sound driver for FM SFXs and better stereo control. So he probably will fix that!
    nice to hear! (no pun intended )

Quote Originally Posted by LDX View Post
    Which is not a problem, right? I mean, the original on Snes is not that difficult for a MM game... Actually is a bit easy once you figure the robot master sequence.
    What's the purpose of making a near 1:1 copy of a game if it's going to have arbitrary changes that would better suit a "hard type" ROMhack? The first stage is supposed to teach people how to play the game one step at a time, not punch them in the kidney.
    Youtube - Terminated

Thread Information