Quantcast

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man X & Sega Genesis

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I do not know about you, but when I leave the remaster CE of Pyron, I will play very happy, much restored, colors near the arcade, the fact of having a slightly smaller resolution will not take the pleasure of playing this Remaster that probably I'll have a cartridge.

Now this topic is about amazing Tiago Rockman X, let's try to keep Rockman.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Of course the port would be much better in 320x224 pixels as it always does when compared to games in 256x224 pixels (wider screen estate and better aspect ratio once in 4:3) but if the guy behind the port don't have the time or don't want to bother with this, it's fine! There are still many improvements doable thanks to the Mega Drive hardware even if not using its higher resolution capabilities. The Mega Drive version could run smoother, with more animation frames, better AI and such. Also crisper sound and arguably better music (SNES soundtrack has some weak drums and awful leads...).

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    You'd have Nintendo fans harping about how everything is distorted
    But who cares about a bunch of clueless people? There's already a PC version that runs in higher resolution and thus has wider screen estate and better aspect ratio just like a Mega Drive version could do if it uses the system "H40 mode" (320x224 pixels).

Regardless of what any one dev team member had in mind, the finished product is the official artistic vision of the game
    Not true at all. Most games from back then that run in a 8:7 shaped resolution or worse (256x224, 256x240, etc.) DON'T have graphic assets adapted to this problem and thus they look deformed once in 4:3. This was a major failure which is more and more acknowledged.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    Not true at all. Most games from back then that run in a 8:7 shaped resolution or worse (256x224, 256x240, etc.) DON'T have graphic assets adapted to this problem and thus they look deformed once in 4:3. This was a major failure which is more and more acknowledged.
    I don't think that was his point. From what I understood, he meant that regardless of what the developers had in mind, that's how the game actually shipped and what players played, making it the official look of the game, even if it's distorted.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Of course the port would be much better in 320x224 pixels as it always does when compared to games in 256x224 pixels (wider screen estate and better aspect ratio once in 4:3) but if the guy behind the port don't have the time or don't want to bother with this, it's fine! There are still many improvements doable thanks to the Mega Drive hardware even if not using its higher resolution capabilities. The Mega Drive version could run smoother, with more animation frames, better AI and such. Also crisper sound and arguably better music (SNES soundtrack has some weak drums and awful leads...).
    You're talking about a remake, not a port. The game would have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

But who cares about a bunch of clueless people? There's already a PC version that runs in higher resolution and thus has wider screen estate and better aspect ratio just like a Mega Drive version could do if it uses the system "H40 mode" (320x224 pixels).
    You shouldn't call others clueless. The DOS version is infamous because of how shoddy it is. It uses 1:1/pixel for pixel assets, but doesn't run in 388 x 224. So the perspective is disrorted and apparently you can't tell. You just keep misusing a factoid out of context to fight a console war. A pixel for pixel Mega Drive port would also be distorted. Only the PC Engine could do CPS resolution.

You also keep ignoring the context of game budgets. Cart games are expensive. The rom size was set. If you rework assets for a higher resolution then you have to drop a bunch of it to fit the budgeted space. A 256 wide port can feature more artwork and animation.

It's a fact. The 16-bit Mega Man X series exists as-is. It's much easier to build new assets for Playstation hardware than 16-bit consoles, but they still went out of their way to preserve the original artistic vision of X3 when they brought it to PSX and Saturn.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post

You shouldn't call others clueless. The DOS version is infamous because of how shoddy it is. It uses 1:1/pixel for pixel assets, but doesn't run in 388 x 224. So the perspective is disrorted and apparently you can't tell. You just keep misusing a factoid out of context to fight a console war. A pixel for pixel Mega Drive port would also be distorted. Only the PC Engine could do CPS resolution.

You also keep ignoring the context of game budgets. Cart games are expensive. The rom size was set. If you rework assets for a higher resolution then you have to drop a bunch of it to fit the budgeted space. A 256 wide port can feature more artwork and animation.
    Black Tiger i think you are over exagerating a bit, we had lot of game from snes ported to md thats jumps for 320x, using the same artwork the same cartigde size and etc..

i dosen't need redraw the artwork, you just gonna show more of the screen and gain a wider view, the sames tiles of 256px game go to vram to fill the action plane, like every game ported before to MD.

Also the MMX artwork is not optimized to 256px and looks correct on 320px resolution, the main problem is balance the enemy spawn because you can advance more than expected on snes game

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

to people visualize and move on...

Snes - Distorced artwork, we speaking of alot of rounded and circle art on a robt game, they did it very badly..
    also the stage boss are composed by circles and looks terrible on snes

MD - Runing in 320px, correct art showed, full screen, wider action field, same tiles on vram thats loaded on begning of the stage,
    and is easly replaced on gameplay

The game looks much better on hi res

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    The game looks much better on hi res
    Yeah it does, but there could be instances where the wider action field could be a problem, when you're not supposed to see that much ahead, or the scenery is perfectly tuned to fit the screen.
    Mind, I completely agree with you, but sticking with the original ...."vision", is easier and you prevent a lot of unexpected issues..
    It could be nice to have both.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    Yeah it does, but there could be instances where the wider action field could be a problem, when you're not supposed to see that much ahead, or the scenery is perfectly tuned to fit the screen.
    Mind, I completely agree with you, but sticking with the original ...."vision", is easier and you prevent a lot of unexpected issues..
    It could be nice to have both.
    OFC, i just wanna that TiagoSC finish his amazing job, and follow the original in every way is more faithfull and easy to re-create the game itself
    because you had the base.

320x mode is just to show that if they use it, the game will look better even if you didn't redraw everything,
    about gameplay i was looking some snes ports and games like mmx is too slowpace that in all cases that i see
    the enemys spawn and placement keeps as same on the original, the wider action plane just improve the game

The project is alive and... F#%$@ beautiful!!!

Check it out:

Footage gently sent to me by TiagoSC itself.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Man it sounds metal af now lol.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

The Mega Drive would have been a much better fit for the Megaman X series. It barely uses the graphics and sound hardware of the SNES.
    Totally the wrong platform for the game, it could have had more enemies, less slowdown and a higher resolution if it had targeted the MD.

Super happy to see Savaged Regime's soundtrack covers being put to good use.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post

Check it out:

Oh man, TiagoSC is making all of my Megaman X dreams come true! This looks (and sounds) amazing

Things I noticed:

1. Glad to see the color palette brightness changes in the intro stage are still present, though obviously the transitions are jerkier due to the MD's smaller # of colors

2. It looks like X gets life when picking up weapon powerups. I don't remember that from the original, I wonder if it's temporary?

3. I see the dialog boxes use a portion of the top of the screen instead of using a box in the middle of the screen. I'm not surprised as I think the SNES does it using a mask, which the MD doesn't have.

4. I'm not a fan of the added voice samples... they're not *bad* but they're not in the SNES version and they feel unnecessary.

5. I see X's extra powers have been added (e.g. dash, head butt) but it looks like new robot master weapons still need to be put in.

6. I love all of the little details that TiagoSC didn't forget, like X's cold breath in the Chill Penguin stage.

This is shaping up to be a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by retronostalgia View Post
    Oh man, TiagoSC is making all of my Megaman X dreams come true! This looks (and sounds) amazing

Things I noticed:

1. Glad to see the color palette brightness changes in the intro stage are still present, though obviously the transitions are jerkier due to the MD's smaller # of colors

2. It looks like X gets life when picking up weapon powerups. I don't remember that from the original, I wonder if it's temporary?

3. I see the dialog boxes use a portion of the top of the screen instead of using a box in the middle of the screen. I'm not surprised as I think the SNES does it using a mask, which the MD doesn't have.

4. I'm not a fan of the added voice samples... they're not *bad* but they're not in the SNES version and they feel unnecessary.

5. I see X's extra powers have been added (e.g. dash, head butt) but it looks like new robot master weapons still need to be put in.

6. I love all of the little details that TiagoSC didn't forget, like X's cold breath in the Chill Penguin stage.

This is shaping up to be a masterpiece.
    yep, it rox!
    He emphasize that these footage are work in progress and the game will be much more improved than what you see here in the Release.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Together with tryphon's Shinobi, this is by far the best and most promising Mega Drive homebrew. Most people usually prefere totally new games to be created, but I dig these conversions of retail games from other systems a lot more.

And seeing that Hidecade's Darius has been included in the Mega Drive mini, it could have been the same with this one too, especially with the presence of certain Capcom games on it. A shame, but let's hope that at least Capcom won't move a finger with this due to the lack of license.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Thread Information