Quantcast

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Man X & Sega Genesis

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Hey, I'm just picturing what A Mega Man exclusive on the Genesis would actually be like. I keep seeing the difference between Hard Corp and the rest of that series.

Contra, Castlevania, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Turrican and a bunch of other games were released for both consoles, sometimes with minor differences, other times with more prominent ones.

Given the characteristics of the Mega Man X games, it would be natural to expect a release for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive hardware. This is just a discussion of an alternative scenario on how a "X" game would be like on the Genesis.

That can't be too hard to understand.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Whenever I think of these franchises that could have, would have, seen Genesis releases I always end up thinking of one thing. Why didn't Sega make a Zillion equivalent for the Genesis to rival Super Metroid?! WHY!?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

The main thing about MMX being better to me on SNES is that the controller for the SNES is better suited. Shoulder buttons for weapon switching on the fly, and being able to dash, jump, and shoot all at once is a major thing that makes the X series as great as it is. You can say what you want about double tapping the D-pad to dash, or using Mode, X, Y, and Z to do stuff, but really, it's just not as good.

Also, I screwed up the PSG on that Youtube posted Blast Hornet cover. It was supposed to be a nod to Gecko's cover, but I am a retard and butchered it. VGM is fixed though. As a matter of fact, here's my dropbox folder for all my VGM's. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oo47s4tr4...SxrBwcp_a?dl=0
    I highly recommend using VGMPlay to listen to these, since it's what I optimize them for. I update these randomly, and am currently redoing old stuff.

I think if someone(s) were to port the MMX series to the Genesis it'd be best to port it to the 32X. It would give them enough colors and all the hardware they need, especially for MMX 2 & 3 since they used the Cx4 enhancement chip.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Whenever I think of these franchises that could have, would have, seen Genesis releases I always end up thinking of one thing. Why didn't Sega make a Zillion equivalent for the Genesis to rival Super Metroid?! WHY!?
    Yeah, even when i'm not a big fan for Super Metroid it's a shame the genesis doesn't have something similar.

But hey, the SNES doesn't have games like Dune 2, Herzog Zwei, Granada, Ecco 1/2 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Yeah, even when i'm not a big fan for Super Metroid it's a shame the genesis doesn't have something similar.

But hey, the SNES doesn't have games like Dune 2, Herzog Zwei, Granada, Ecco 1/2 either.
    Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, I sorely miss it when I'm playing my Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    The main thing about MMX being better to me on SNES is that the controller for the SNES is better suited. Shoulder buttons for weapon switching on the fly, and being able to dash, jump, and shoot all at once is a major thing that makes the X series as great as it is. You can say what you want about double tapping the D-pad to dash, or using Mode, X, Y, and Z to do stuff, but really, it's just not as good.

Also, I screwed up the PSG on that Youtube posted Blast Hornet cover. It was supposed to be a nod to Gecko's cover, but I am a retard and butchered it. VGM is fixed though. As a matter of fact, here's my dropbox folder for all my VGM's. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oo47s4tr4...SxrBwcp_a?dl=0
    I highly recommend using VGMPlay to listen to these, since it's what I optimize them for. I update these randomly, and am currently redoing old stuff.
    Bah Alien Soldier you do more things than X and fits well to Genesis controler.
    I always use double tap to dash, so you have A to change weapon, you can do the same as alien soldier did, you use B to shoot and C to jump at last start to menus.
    Easy to port.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I think if someone(s) were to port the MMX series to the Genesis it'd be best to port it to the 32X. It would give them enough colors and all the hardware they need, especially for MMX 2 & 3 since they used the Cx4 enhancement chip.
    And sell a handful of copies LOL

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post

But you can't dash, jump, and shoot all at once, at least not at the default control layout. Dashing requires you to move your thumb to the A button and you can't reach the fire button. That or double tap. That's why whenever I play any MMX game, dash gets mapped to a right shoulder button. Frees up my thumb to do whatever else he needs to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    And sell a handful of copies LOL
    I think the number of current Genesis owners who would actually buy a modern port of Mega Man X would also likely already have a 32X, or would buy one to play the "glorious Super Nintendo game" on their Genesis. Forum goers always assume that there are 40 million current Genesis users our there compared to 600-900K who would buy a 32X game, and it just ain't so. Modern releases are looking at 100-200k max sales if they are lucky, and probably more like 10k per production run.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

The controls could be like the Sega Saturn version of Megaman X3
    A=Shot
    B=Jump
    C=Dash
    L & R=Weapons

But i use my personalconfiguration:
    X=Shoot
    A=Jump
    B=Dash

Y and Z= For Weapons on the genny
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 09-11-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Dash jumping from a wall is probably the main obstacle that you can't overcome using double tab.

I think the number of current Genesis owners who would actually buy a modern port of Mega Man X would also likely already have a 32X, or would buy one to play the "glorious Super Nintendo game" on their Genesis. Forum goers always assume that there are 40 million current Genesis users our there compared to 600-900K who would buy a 32X game, and it just ain't so. Modern releases are looking at 100-200k max sales if they are lucky, and probably more like 10k per production run.
    Even if there aren't 40 million current Genesis users out there, there's still far more out there with just a Genesis than those who have either add-on or both. Heck I'd say there's more people out there with a Sega CD than there are with a 32X.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Considering the Metroid series never really moved Nintendo consoles, I don't think this was such a horrible decision on Sega's part.

Thread Information