Quantcast

Thread: 3d models & resources

The Technician Sports Talker Hik's Avatar

Default 3d printing models & resources

Recently I gained access to a 3d printer and the owners were using sketchup make 2014
    to make 3d models for printing out custom creations ,so I became interested in using it
    and started experimenting with making models. I had the idea to make a model of the
    megadrive/genesis cartridge and really like how it's looking so far ,so I decided to share.

Here's a link to it ,in case any of you would like to open it up in sketchup ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quqp6yppta...ridge.rar?dl=0

Yes ,I'm giving it away freely in hopes that it may be improved upon.

If any of you know of a better model like this or would like to share another model ,
    feel free to do that in this thread. I'll also consider requests for other iterations.

-----Edit-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've fixed the model so that its all in proportion ,including screw holes and curves.

Here's the file for the update ; https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpywlrr1gw...ge-18.skp?dl=0

-----Edit 2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The curved indent didn't line up properly with the rest of the back part of the case
    so I've reverted back to an earlier save to get the part without the indent inserted.
    The screw holes for the front case weren't properly attached but I've fixed that.

The part from the earlier save still has the screw holes equally spaced from the
    sides but they're actually supposed to be a bit offset ,each one in a different way.
    Latter part with the bad fit curved indent has the screw holes in the right places.

Here's the sketchup file for the this update ; https://www.dropbox.com/s/p06dyo76o9...ge-20.skp?dl=0

-----Edit 3---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out something glitched with the front so I'm reworking that model again.

The back part without the curved indent turned out to be printable so it's printing
    right now as this is being posted. After going through the slicing process and
    various setup settings on the printer I realized the models could still use some
    work. The front part may have to be split into parts which might then be glued
    together later. Right now its printing it as one whole piece ,which might turn out
    to not print it out properly. I have some photos of it being printed ;

This is just a test print. The models still need to be worked on more to give better print results.

The updated file ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5dw9vrvzb...ge-22.skp?dl=0

The back part in this one is slightly different from the one I printed.

-----Edit 4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've picked up the result part from the 3d printer and discovered that it got filled
    in so that is not a shell like it should be ,but more like a solid piece in a similar
    shape to what the model looks like. The outer edges are near precise to the
    dimensions of the original cartridge and the screw holes and the indent hole are
    lining up similarly well. The part got slightly warped in the bottom corners.

It was a good test print. This makes it easier to determine what to improve and
    what to watch out for when 3d printing. For one thing the slicing in the program
    has to display the model in tact for it to print out properly. I will improve upon the
    models further to make them more compatible with 3d printing.

Here's a photo of the printed part next to the original cartridge ;

-----Edit 5---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I made a ring in sketchup as a test to see if I could print out slanted surfaces
    without supports other than the surface itself. It turned out pretty well ,I could paint
    it gold and it would look like the rings from the Sonic games. Here are some pics of it ;

I'm still working on the cartridge model to make it more suitable for printing.
    Printing it in segments seems to be the best option. The cartridge has some
    indents which wont print out right in a single piece. The g-code didn't cover
    my more complex models properly. It might be possible to get a better slicing
    program ,settings or adjustments so that the g-code could manage the prints
    for those ,but having many simple parts and then gluing them together means
    that it can be more easily printed ,even with less sophisticated code or software.
    Last edited by Hik; 10-01-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Edit to add

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Are you able to print out carts like the above (nice work by the way) in a smoked transparent case? I'd love to have a Mega ED housed that way. If you could, how much would you want for a given number? If it's possible I'd be really keen to talk details with you. Thanks for sharing!

I had that idea too ,it would look awesome to have a semi translucent cartridge case.
    But so far I've only had access to opaque material to print from.

I haven't printed out that cartridge yet ,but I think it should work. There's still a bit
    of fixing left to do on it to make it functional (like the screw holes in the front part)
    but once that's done I'm going to see if I can give it a go.

The idea is to have models which could be printed out from a 3d printer in your local area.

I'm unable to share any physical materials for now but I only give these things away.
    That way its all definitely outside of the legal "gray area" of rights and related issues.

I'd be most interested to see how this pans out, keep up the good work! When you have the screw holes fixed up I'll have a see as to where I can get a case made. My wife's a technology teacher, and she's hoping to get a printer soon - everything is crossed!

Here's what the cartridge looks like when the parts are interlocked ;

The seams fit perfect. The model is to scale ,but I use millimeters so that setting might still be on when it's loaded.

It can also be colored or textured in sketchup (you just use the paint bucket tool)
    so you could customize it in lots of different ways and see how it looks before you print.
    Last edited by Hik; 09-24-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Nice work! I'm looking into online 3D printing services, so when you have the model spot on I might have a go at uploading it if the price isn't too high.

Last night I modeled the back of the case again from scratch using the experience
    I'd gotten from making the previous models and printing out the test prints.

This time the model is in several parts. The three indents on the back are left out
    of the main part but added on later. Same with the corners on the sides.

Here's the file ; 3d model megadrive/genesis cartridge (sketchup 2014)

When I exported this as stl and sliced it in the 3d printing program I noticed that
    the indent (I made it out of many circles in the same shape as the one the printer
    printed out in the first test print) got filled in ,just like what happened in the first
    test print. The slicing also messed up the letters on the indent part. But both of
    these might be fixed with better g-code ,better settings or a better printer.

The main part looked great after the slicing. I took some photos of it being printed ;

And then printed the rest of the parts after this one finished. It took about an hour
    to print both the main part and the secondary parts. The secondary parts don't fit
    into the main part properly without filing them down. They are a tight fit in the
    modeling program ,so it may need some adjustments to get them to fit right.

Here's what the parts look like after the printing is done ;

I took the main part out and put it on top of the front of an original cartridge
    and the sides line up perfectly but the corners are slightly different on the print so that
    it doesn't fit into the seams. (3d printed front would fit into the 3d printed back part seams)

And that's the end result for now. I think it turned out great.

I will file down the parts later and glue them on to see how it looks when put
    together. The front of the cart will also have to be remodeled in parts.
    I'm going to make some more test prints to see if I can get the curves right.
    Last edited by Hik; 10-02-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Neat!
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

I spent a while filing the indent parts and got one filed down enough to be able to fit it in the main part.

The corner pieces have been glued on and the 3d printed cartridge back already looks a lot more like the
    original that it's made after. I didn't fit in the sega indent on the center of the back yet but had the idea
    to tape over the original to get the sega logo indented into the tape to see what it would look like on the
    3d print. With the tape ,the cartridge looks a lot more finalized. I think the screw holes are still a bit out
    of place and the curved indent still needs to be fixed ,but other than that there's nothing much I can find
    to improve upon further to make it work as an actual cartridge back part. Text labels could potentially be
    printed out from a regular printer and stuck in with the indent parts (or 3d printed with better settings).

I used some electrical insulation tape to keep the indents covered for now (large piece and middle hole).
    Stickers or non-black insulation tape would work for putting whatever text on there since it sticks on just fine.

Highlighting the cart reveals the grooves in the indent piece as well as the imprint of the sega logo imparted
    to the black electrical insulation tape. This venture has proved to me that megadrive/genesis cartridges can
    be printed from 3d printers and that other things like controllers and cover cases might also be 3d printable.

everything looks great, keep up the AWESOME job.

i might have to print it out myself and see how it looks.

thanks for sharing

I've been working on making the front more printable but the slicing keeps
    messing up the model even when it is in parts. The latest idea is to have it
    print a similar shape to the curved indent hole in the first test print I posted
    pics of in this thread. In that print the hole printed with curves so if the
    front side curves were printed that way it may work. It could be printed
    in that hole shape and then sawed off into pieces to make it fit.

(See part to the right in the bottom pic for a better idea of what I mean)

I'm using old versions of the software since that's what the owners of the
    printer have and I haven't gotten permission to update that since it might
    change the settings and stuff. The point is that with more recent versions
    of the software it might be easier to print the more elaborate models properly.

Here's the model ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2srd94tae4...-test.skp?dl=0

Its still incomplete and needs work ,but it shows potential ways of making the front part
    of the cartridge case in parts to be glued together after printing.

Love it! When you have it down I'm making (somehow) that transparent case.

I hit a snag with sketchup while working on another model ,so I decided to
    look into other free 3d modeling programs that work well without plugins.

The program I'm now most interested in is called "123D Design". It seems
    to give more support for 3D printing so I'm going to experiment with that.

Recently I was introduced to the concept of FabLab's and hackerspaces.
    There are some places like that close to me which I have been exploring.
    I'm thinking about using those places to help me make my own 3d printer
    so that I can make more progress with 3d-printing things.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Are you able to print out carts like the above (nice work by the way) in a smoked transparent case? I'd love to have a Mega ED housed that way. If you could, how much would you want for a given number? If it's possible I'd be really keen to talk details with you. Thanks for sharing!
    I like how this guy's thinking.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thread Information