Quantcast

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Sonic X-Treme Unearthed

I'm not going to lie, this game still looks unplayable.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio857 View Post
    I believe so, I could be wrong though. If it is, it would be the v040 build which you quoted above (unless there were later builds). And yes, that leak had all the level assets but no engine.
    Well the world won't be ending anytime soon, I asked on Retro.

Quote Originally Posted by Spehiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Awesome.

Does this mean we have the resources for a playable version of this?

That build of the engine featured in those videos is a much, much later PC build, the same one pitched to SEGA's PC division. Only Chris Senn and Ofer Alon were working on it at this point, as the rest of the team went with POV and their older engine from Ofer (the engine we have). Sadly there is no way to get this build, unless Ofer still has it and is willing to share. What we have is an early build much like the E3 trailer.

The assets in Jolly's archive are very interesting nonetheless, as many of the levels found in it have never been seen outside of the E3 trailer and magazine previews. We're also getting the POV engine, which nobody outside of STI has ever seen before.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Yeah, I saw your post. I'm very appreciative of what was found, sucks we likely will never see that build. Sadly, Ofer will probably keep that build to himself. Can't really blame him though.

New release. Loooots of new levels. Looks like it includes the infamous photoshopped checkerboard test level (1:04)

== V037 Engine release 3 ==
    == With all 037 levels + More levels ==

Hey guys this is the Biggest release yet! This Mega release includes over 150 levels!
    Many of which were never seen by the public before !

For the latest release of Jollyroger's modern Windows port for Ofer's V037 NV1 engine, This release breaks away from the "AS IS" state of our last release by adding:
    *the ability to play music.
    *Incorporates A camera distance Function which can be tweaked in each .def file to counterbalance level depth scaling differences vs Sonic's distance to camera.
    *The engine now has a Global configuration file for Sonic's main physics attributes among other engine settings. (like V038 and above)
    *Over 150 playable original STI experimental test levels are now included in the release, however many are duplicate files which
    have different adjusted attributes like texture physics settings to help slow or speed sonic up in specific situations. Or are snapshots in time showing a level's development history from start to finish.

Each and every Level.def file that is playable with the release engine had to be edited like so:
    *Sonic's main Physics were stripped out.
    *Player parameter changed from Static to player.
    *New Camera parameters set up and adjusted, to match camera distance between levels that had different depth scaling.
    * Some color pallet links corrected.
    *Replace all Ring and Enemy Blocks with Actors so that Sonic could pass threw them, and possibly interact with them in a future release.
    *Attempted to tweak physics in the new Global file to make the game feel a little more playable.

Besides the modified levels, All of the original Level files and assets are also included in this leak in an unmodified form,
    including levels that do not work with our engine since the levels are from older engine builds that we do not have.
    There are also partial levels for other builds of the game as well.

Mega
    Mediafire
    Last edited by Blades; 10-24-2015 at 05:00 AM.

YM2612 in soul Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Probably will get blamed because of reviving old thread, but I felt very sentimental and sorry about Sonic xtreme lately for no reason.
    Maybe there are any new information popped out regarding to Sonic Xtreme, Mars, Saturn?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Well in this Months Retro gammer. Kats Sato confirmed what I always suspected and that's that the game was a pile of crap and that's why it was dropped.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Sonic xtreme doesn’t look that fun to play at all

Somehow I doubt it would’ve done much to “save” the saturn

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

The game looked horrible. Starting with 3D Blast SEGA just hit a point they really did not know what to do with Sonic. Sonic didn't get bad with Shadow or Sonic06. No.Sonic got bad in the 90s as well. Sonic Blast is shit. Sonic 2 on GG has poor level design. Sonic Drift isn't good.3D Blast aside from OST is awful. Sonic R is an unfinished broken game. I'm not saying I don't like some of these as some of them are guilty pleasures. I even love the SA games but let's face it. They were not very good. Sonic Heroes again crap. Sonic Advance is good but only the first one. Rush...eh. I honestly think it took until Color/Generations for a genuinely great Sonic game to come out again since the mid-90s. Then got bad again lol until Mania. I do like Sonic but he's hadmore bad games than good ones.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    The game looked horrible. Starting with 3D Blast SEGA just hit a point they really did not know what to do with Sonic. Sonic didn't get bad with Shadow or Sonic06. No.Sonic got bad in the 90s as well. Sonic Blast is shit. Sonic 2 on GG has poor level design. Sonic Drift isn't good.3D Blast aside from OST is awful. Sonic R is an unfinished broken game. I'm not saying I don't like some of these as some of them are guilty pleasures. I even love the SA games but let's face it. They were not very good. Sonic Heroes again crap. Sonic Advance is good but only the first one. Rush...eh. I honestly think it took until Color/Generations for a genuinely great Sonic game to come out again since the mid-90s. Then got bad again lol until Mania. I do like Sonic but he's hadmore bad games than good ones.
    It's not easy to make a game like Sonic work in three dimensions, wish they had made a 2.5D platformer like we eventually got with Sonic 4. Could have looked great on the Saturn. But, it was the '90s, and EVERYTHING had to go 3D, even Bubsy!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Imagine a world where sonic 4 had been made on the Saturn, 2D with cool sprite effects, vdp2 effects, perhaps superscaler special stages, parts of levels where your character goes in the background, etc. a really impressive 2D Sonic probably would’ve done at least decently.

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

I have always wanted a 2D Sonic sidescroller that looks animated. Like how Cuphead looks but with the style of SEGA CD cutscenes animation.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Saturn did 2D well enough that we easily could've had a game like Sonic Mania, but westerners wouldn't have been too flattered with it because they are graphics whores and wanted stupid stuff like that instead.

Sonic and Mario is like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Mario/DQ stay largely the same, but are still good for the most part. Sonic/FF try all these new, unpredictable ideas and while they get it right sometimes, there are a lot of stinkers put out in the process.

I would've liked a 3D Sonic Saturn game with the environments and look of Sonic the Fighters but of course, not a fighter at all. But, we know how poorly Saturn handled 3D games of this type. Xtreme was the closest we would've gotten to a 3D adventure Sonic. Even Sonic R had poor draw distances compared to later ports, and other issues.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    It's not easy to make a game like Sonic work in three dimensions, wish they had made a 2.5D platformer like we eventually got with Sonic 4. Could have looked great on the Saturn. But, it was the '90s, and EVERYTHING had to go 3D, even Bubsy!
    After Mario 64 it all had to be 3D, you are spot on. Think is SEGA really should have ported Sonic CD to the Saturn added some new gfx tricks get rid of the slowdown, new 3D bonus stages and also Cinepak Full-screen FMV and that would have been great for the USA and Pal launches (or just after) .
    It's also a shame we never got to see what Sonic Adv would have been on the Saturn before it was moved to the DC.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    Saturn did 2D well enough that we easily could've had a game like Sonic Mania, but westerners wouldn't have been too flattered with it because they are graphics whores and wanted stupid stuff like that instead.

But, we know how poorly Saturn handled 3D games of this type. Xtreme was the closest we would've gotten to a 3D adventure Sonic. Even Sonic R had poor draw distances compared to later ports, and other issues.
    I agree with your thoughts, but don't forget about Sonic Jam and its 3D Sonic World level! Using that engine would have given us a great 3D Sonic Adventure style game. Imagine if they also included the 3D half pipe engine from Sonic 3D Blast, too. But it was too late for the Saturn at that point.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Think is SEGA really should have ported Sonic CD to the Saturn added some new gfx tricks get rid of the slowdown, new 3D bonus stages and also Cinepak Full-screen FMV and that would have been great for the USA and Pal launches (or just after) .

Why bother porting Sonic CD over to a new system like the Saturn? It would of been better to have delayed Sonic 3 and made that a Saturn launch title, could of had massively improved graphics and sound and we could of bought the game on one CD instead of across 2 carts. Frankly imo Sonic CD wasn't that great of a game and Sonic 3 and Knuckles is way better.

Thread Information