Quantcast

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic X-Treme Unearthed

I saw on your NeoGAF post you mentioned stubs for Saturn compiling. Is there anything actually there to compile the Saturn version or even partial Saturn code? Or is it just notes with nothing actually there?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

From what I remember the PC and Saturn version were very different projects handled by different teams working independently from each other (for whatever reason). The PC version was far more advanced than the Saturn version when they stopped working on it.

I think the Saturn version(s) are already available for a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    From what I remember the PC and Saturn version were very different projects handled by different teams working independently from each other (for whatever reason). The PC version was far more advanced than the Saturn version when they stopped working on it.

I think the Saturn version(s) are already available for a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.
    No, they build from the same source.
    A retarded Sonic.

Are you sure? I remember Chris Senn talking about how the PC version was far ahead of the Saturn port.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I saw on your NeoGAF post you mentioned stubs for Saturn compiling. Is there anything actually there to compile the Saturn version or even partial Saturn code? Or is it just notes with nothing actually there?
    You can build the project for either saturn or pc. Its the same project.
    A retarded Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    You can build the project for either saturn or pc. Its the same project.
    Do you guys have the libraries to do that? While the PC version will be more accessible to most people, it would still be interesting to see how it ran on the Saturn.

Holy damn. Awesome.

Are you guys collecting donations?
    Last edited by Blades; 11-06-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Well, I'd certainly be interested in seeing it running on a real Saturn.

We've got it built for the saturn. It'll run under an emulator but crashes on a real saturn. We're going to use a cartdev to step through the execution to see where it crashes on real hardware.
    A retarded Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    We've got it built for the saturn. It'll run under an emulator but crashes on a real saturn. We're going to use a cartdev to step through the execution to see where it crashes on real hardware.
    That's awesome! I can't wait to see how it stacks up compared to the videos and promo stuff that was released years ago.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Whoa !
    This is awesome !
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    That's awesome! I can't wait to see how it stacks up compared to the videos and promo stuff that was released years ago.
    Currently its just 1 build of many and it just flies through the level, no controller input. I asked JR tp weigh in a bit more on why its not polling thr controller on the saturn. The nv1 build creates an object that represents the nv1 hardware, and that object is what polls the controller on the pc version. So it might be a case of the saturn version flat out not having any code to poll the controllers. But, given the abstraction layer the source code operates under, it might be possible to get controller polling going on the saturn.

Barw minimum, though, is that everyone will get to run this on their pc without an nv1 using an emulator
    A retarded Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Holy damn. Awesome.

Are you guys collecting donations?
    Nope, no donations
    A retarded Sonic.

While I know SSF isn't a 1:1 match of the Saturn for performance, how did the game appear to run? I'd imagine the target Framerate was 30fps, does it seem to hit that?

It flies by, it might be running at an impossible speed.
    A retarded Sonic.

Thread Information