Quantcast

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic X-Treme Unearthed

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

When you guys said you had "everything that ever existed", does this mean you have the NiGHTs demo and Boss builds as well?
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

I wonder if you can find Sister Sonic and Sonic Jr as well, hopefully.

Love the work you guys have been doing. It seems unreal how long this has all taken.

Quote Originally Posted by miru View Post
    I wonder if you can find Sister Sonic and Sonic Jr as well, hopefully.
    I would be especially interested in seeing Sister Sonic, but I doubt any significant work of that game was saved. I imagine the fandom would have shifted a lot early on if that game was released.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

[QUOTE=miru;691878]I wonder if you can find Sister Sonic /QUOTE]

From a gameplay standpoint I can't see how that would be too problematic (assuming you could insert new sprites into popful mail). So long as at least some concept art was around for the characters it would be pretty trivial for a good sprite artist to make a 1:1 replacement for the characters. Story wise of course it would be a total wash unless more information was floating around about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Uranus View Post
    It seems unreal how long this has all taken.
    I remember when these videos first surfaced.

I thought I'd never live to see the day. We shall see if I do. Perhaps this will all culminate with an iOS/PSN release? Holy god I don't want to dream.

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar
    A retarded Sonic.

Oh my god it's happening.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    Well, I think every Sega fan is thankful for what you and your friends are doing, TheSonicRetard. It's awesome to see it running after so much speculation and this looooooooooooong wait.

But I also would like to ask you to keep partaking the discussions here (not only about the Sonic X-Treme release). I know that you're very busy lately, but your input in this forum has been awesome in the past and I'd like to see you posting more often if possible.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Barone; 11-11-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Well, I think every Sega fan is thankful for what you and your friends are doing, TheSonicRetard. It's awesome to see it running after so much speculation and this looooooooooooong wait.

But I also would like to ask you to keep partaking the discussions here (not only about the Sonic X-Treme release). I know that you're very busy lately, but your input in this forum has been awesome in the past and I'd like to see you posting more often if possible.

Thanks a lot!
    Thanks man, means a whole bunch. I'm spread really thin lately, unfortunately. I need to put in some more time over here...

in the mean time, have a brand new screenshot :P

A retarded Sonic.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I'm excited about this but I'm hoping for a PC release more than a Saturn release. My Saturn would have to be modded, and my PC doesn't like SSF.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

My Saturn is already modchipped.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Maybe some hackers and programmers can finish Sonic Xtreme for the saturn.. Maybe even get it endorsed by sega just like the widescreen HD versions of sonic CD

So just some things I've noticed from these builds and looking at old xtreme footage:

some of the most grainy footage might have been from POV's saturn port all along. There are number of videos that are extremely poor quality, like they were recorded off screen, than exhibits the behavior from the saturn build, namely the way the Sonic Sprite is pasted over objects in front of him, where, in the PC version, those objects merely become transparent.

Ofer's engine would automatically make obfuscating pieces of geometry transparent if they got in between sonic and the camera, see here:

the saturn build we have exhibits different behavior:

We see that same behavior in some of the stranger footage for Xtreme, example:

In footage from this area, we also see Sonic jump repeatedly, multiple times in the air (as in, more than twice). Also, in this footage, when sonic jumps, he becomes a blue sphere, where in the PC footage, when he jumps, he displays individual frames of jumping animation. I'm not sure if this is just a case of frames being missed in the video capture or not, however. Also, in the above footage, Sonic can't collect rings, just like the Saturn build, but unlike the PC build.

Obviously any actual art or test levels they got would have been created by STI. I'm merely talking about footage of the saturn engine... potentially. I think the above that I pointed out is from POV.

Of course, it could also just as easily be from an earlier version of Ofer's engine and the quirks I'm pointing out in the saturn build were lifted directly from Ofer's work...

we won't know till later, I guess. Just interesting to go back and watch the old footage.
    A retarded Sonic.

That issue might also be a result of the Saturn's known transparency issues.

Hero of Algol

The POV concept was cursed since the very beginning IMO, given that 3D transparencies would be required if you wanted to go beyond Bug!-like maps. I mean, you're always in a point of view where you need transparencies a lot in order to be able to see your character if he goes away/inside rooms, etc.
    Last edited by Barone; 11-13-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Thread Information