Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review Master List: Game Gear Games

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Not that it matters for the main purpose of this thread, but Mortal Kombat II was certainly released in the US.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I almost have collected all the US game gear games, and would like to help write some reviews, but I have never wrote an in-dept review before. does anyone have a flowchart, cheat sheet, or a template that they use?

Just read several reviews here to get an idea then check out the review manifest on the main page and just be fair and write what's on your mind.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Ok fair enough, i would like to review Jurassic Park. Also being that its the same game on the sms and gg would one review cover both? IE if I use my master system game for screen shots and the play through would that work for the game gear review?

Quote Originally Posted by douglie007 View Post
    Also being that its the same game on the sms and gg would one review cover both? IE if I use my master system game for screen shots and the play through would that work for the game gear review?
    No. Because even if level layout and design of the two games are the same, there are still differences to account for. Is the gameplay really identical, or are there notable control differences or even issues (like a delay in the button prompts for example)? Master system games and Game Gear games also have different resolutions - which may cause notable problems in some otherwise identical games (enemy popup in the overscan area for instance). And the sound hardware isn't identical - does a game sound just as good in its Master System incarnation or vice versa?

If you are able to pinpoint differences between the two versions, those are always great to have in a review. But no, a Game Gear review doesn't automatically count as a Master System review - not even straight Game-Gear-to-Master-System ports made by Tectoy. ,And due to the differences in resolution, Master System screenshots are no substitutes for Game Gear screens (though you don't necessarily have to provide screenshots yourself - we'd certainly prefer it, but if you don't have any, we can always try and supply some by ourselves).

/edit: vintagegamecrazy made a very good observation regarding that topic a while ago:

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I've scoured the web for reviews for many games and many of the reviews I've watched or read were vastly lacking and the writers didn't even try to do any research before writing their review.

I've seen everything from reviews of games saying that can't comment on sound because their Game Gear had dead audio.

I've read many reviews on Gamefaqs and youtube and elsewhere that state that ports between the two are exact except for resolution only to find out that there were some major differences when I went and played them myself. Ex, Batman Returns is quite different in game play. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 the difficulty in the game is very different between the two and if you master one you'd probably have trouble with the other. Master Of Darkness music tempo is very different between the two, etc. I understand that these reviews are not side by side articles but a reviewer should be able to say that there's differences between them if they mention both games.

This pertains to the Game Gear more than the SMS but I've seen countless reviews completely disregard multiplayer games as if everything that existed on the Game Gear was single player. I understand that it may be hard to find multiple Game Gears and link cables and an extra person willing to play with you but this should not be completely ignored or disregarded when reviewing the game.

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy reply, but I felt that issue needed some clarification.
    Last edited by Phantar; 01-31-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Douglie, it sounds like you need to play both versions thoroughly before you review either one. Once you've done that then you can write reviews for both games if you so choose.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

I will, I will start with the master system, and after I get that one done Ill do the Game Gear. I do plan on buying a GGTV card soon so I can take screens. thanks for the advice, again I want to write a helpful review, so your points are will taken

Great! I've put you down for both now. Let me know if you need any additional pointers, and don't worry too much if you can't provide screenshots - we'll manage
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

can i do the review of asterix
    love that game to death

wow, so JP is a pain to beat... might be a little bit.

I'm gonna claim Gunstar Heroes.

check

I would like to claim Shining Force Gaiden II: The Sword of Hajya!

Noted, feel free to go ahead (sorry for the belated reply).

Just submitted my review for Shining Force Gaiden II: The Sword of Hajya! My first Game Gear review! I'm not nearly as familiar with the GG library as I am the Genesis, so it's all unmapped terrain for me!

Thread Information