Quantcast

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Default Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Hi, this is a demo of rotation and scaling better known by the name of "Mode 7".

I'm using the external Ram 64Kb in Word mode, to use as a "virtual map" of 256 x 256 8bit (256 colors "simulated" as in Wolf3D), the idea is that when we move on the map, it will uploading new "tiles" (a size of 8 x 8 = 64 bytes), similar to what is done for normal scroll, but as "tiles" of 64 bytes.

Unfortunately, this will not work with flashcarts, since they do not support word-wide in Sram.

The rom currently only has about 45Kb, with a map of 128 x 128 tiles (or 1024 x 1024 pixels) which occupies about 16KB, and 11kB for tiles, I think there are 171 tiles (of 64 bytes). With this "engine" can make maps of almost any size. Although right now I'm doing the tilemap in bytes, ie it could handle a maximum of 256 tiles, but I can make the map in words, for a total of 65536 tiles!

This is a very preliminary version yet, is only implemented the "vertical scroll", and also unoptimized, but still sufficiently fast to make some games with him. The current resolution of the area of "Mode 7" is 256 x 96 (but the vertical resolution is Doubled), of course, you can increase the size (or make it every line, instead of 2), and even more if optimized using tables.

I also could use more ram size (256KB would be ideal), but I think 64kb are "sufficient", also would not work on emulators if I use more than 64KB.

Edit: works properly with MegaEverdrive.

Download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/th...dmode7_tst.rar
    Last edited by gasega68k; 12-19-2014 at 12:15 AM.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    Hi, this is a demo of rotation and scaling better known by the name of "Mode 7".

I'm using the external Ram 64Kb in Word mode, to use as a "virtual map" of 256 x 256 8bit (256 colors "simulated" as in Wolf3D), the idea is that when we move on the map, it will uploading new "tiles" (a size of 8 x 8 = 64 bytes), similar to what is done for normal scroll, but as "tiles" of 64 bytes.

Unfortunately, this will not work with flashcarts, since they do not support word-wide in Sram.

The rom currently only has about 45Kb, with a map of 128 x 128 tiles (or 1024 x 1024 pixels) which occupies about 16KB, and 11kB for tiles, I think there are 171 tiles (of 64 bytes). With this "engine" can make maps of almost any size. Although right now I'm doing the tilemap in bytes, ie it could handle a maximum of 256 tiles, but I can make the map in words, for a total of 65536 tiles!

This is a very preliminary version yet, is only implemented the "vertical scroll", and also unoptimized, but still sufficiently fast to make some games with him. The current resolution of the area of "Mode 7" is 256 x 96 (but the vertical resolution is Doubled), of course, you can increase the size (or make it every line, instead of 2), and even more if optimized using tables.

I also could use more ram size (256KB would be ideal), but I think 64kb are "sufficient", also would not work on emulators if I use more than 64KB.

Download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/th...dmode7_tst.rar
    Very nice demo! I wonder how your technique compares to the demo Fonz made

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Impressive stuff! Beautiful Genesis mode 5 graphics!
    Would it work on a repro cart, even if it doesn't work on a flash cart? Could using two bytes instead of one word possibly make it work on flash carts?
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

That is amazing! Super smooth. Can't wait to see how much more you can do with this. Great Job.

gasega68k

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

I have been messing around with this demo some more and was wondering how come no one did anything like this in real games back is the 90's?

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

You mention the resolution is doubled vertically, but it also appears to be the same horizontally too (pixels are always double wide aligned). So a 128x48 rendered resolution?

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

It's 128x96, his 256 number is taking into account "dithered" pixels.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Video please!

Pretty please!

With a cherry on top!

Even though I can't see the effect in action, I suspect that gasega68k deserves the kudos! Hehe!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Outrunner

Amazing!!

Yes, yes, I can see how that Mega Star Wars could be!!!!

A tech demo running on this engine based on Super Star Wars mode 7 vehicle stage from SNES would be cool to see!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Impressive stuff. Only one axis vs 2 of snes mode7 tho. I can't believe how further away are you from 90's coders.

Wars would have been way different with the likes of Stef and you back then.

This does work on the MegaEverdrive. It works rather well on real hardware, giving me a pretty steady 26 FPS. It looks great on an old 21" CRT using composite video.

Another source of ram that could be used would be the SegaCD. You wouldn't even need to start it up, just reset the sub-cpu and request the bus.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    This does work on the MegaEverdrive. It works rather well on real hardware, giving me a pretty steady 26 FPS. It looks great on an old 21" CRT using composite video.
    Its true!, it works in the Mega Everdrive. Thanks for the heads up Chilly.
    This is running on my Genesis ?, gasega68k this is incredible stuff!. Man, we are so lucky to have you experimenting with the Megadrive . You just dont cease to amaze us .

Hero of Algol

gasega68k, amazing and very promising stuff (as always)!!! Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Another source of ram that could be used would be the SegaCD. You wouldn't even need to start it up, just reset the sub-cpu and request the bus.
    Yeah, that would be pretty cool to make it available on real hardware for more people (I'm not suggesting to get rid of the Mega Everdrive support though, since it's cool to push it as well).
    And IIRC by using the Sega CD as a RAM expansion he wold be able to have the exact 256 KB he wanted, right?

Thread Information