128mbit (16mbyte) PSRAM.
    120mbit (10mbyte) max ROM size.
    256Kbyte Battery RAM
    Firmware update through SD card
    FAT32 file system supported.
    SD cards up to 32GB.
    Instant loading (1-2 sec).
    Built in audio playback. WAV, GYM, TFC
    USB port for homebrew development and for future features.
    In-game menu that allows access back to menu system without leaving the sofa.
    Snapshot Saves.
    Regular game battery back-up saves.
    Genesis, Mega-drive, Sega Master System, and 32X games supported.
    Hardware MEGAKEY.
    CD BIOS loading.
    CD RAM cart feature.
    Cheats feature. Game Genie and Play-Action Replay format supported.

Advantages of Mega EverDrive-V2 compared to Mega EverDrive-V1:
    Battery RAM for saves. It allow to save without need to push reset.
    Better compatibility with clone systems.
    Improved hardware design and reduced power consumption.
    Improved software.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Sweat

I can say this without any reservation whatsoever but I am SOOOOOOOO fricken happy that I did not invest in the original Mega Ever drive. If I did, I would have been fricken pissed off!!!!!!

$200 smackaroos saved! I can hear my wallet saying "Alleluhia! An almighty dollar saved!"

I'll continue to favour prudency over wants and needs at this time. Maybe I'll wait for version 3 to come out in the next year or two!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    I could make a version that works on a EverDrive in two different ways, depending on which is the amount of RAM it can handle: if it is up to 32kb (as I believe it is) then I can make repeated two pixels (in x) texture, although it would not look like the original (I did a rom try this mode and the framerate is reduced to about 25fps), but in the case of supporting at least 64kb, then I can make it look like should be (in this case perhaps it is reduced to about 22-23fps), in both cases the errors that have reported those without MED would not see.

Also I could make a version that does not use external Ram, but would have a larger rom, for example for a map of 1024 x 1024 pixels (the size of the map that has this demo) would need 1MB, would be a little different and perhaps reduce some framerate. Of course, this would be just a demo, since for a game with 1MB per scene (1024x1024 pixels of texture) would not be as good.
    Oh, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

I thought about doing a special cartridge for this, but in a different way (no longer work in emulators or MED) where would use two Sram (connected in a way a bit "different" than normal), one would manage the tiles and the other the nametables, in this way could make much greater size map (to have a perspective to look more "distant"), for example, could make a map of 1024x1024 and would always be "visible", and thus would not be necessary "load" new tiles as you advance through the scene. I want to make a test cartridge of this, but first I want to improve as much as possible the engine before making any cartridge.
    Awesome!

I modified a bit the colors of the 8 characters of "Sonic kart" (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, Fang and Shadow) so they could be all in one pallete (16 colors), I think looks good, what do you think?
    It looks very good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Great to hear gasega68k! You definitely have my investment for the cart idea in future
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I can say this without any reservation whatsoever but I am SOOOOOOOO fricken happy that I did not invest in the original Mega Ever drive. If I did, I would have been fricken pissed off!!!!!!
    $200 smackaroos saved! I can hear my wallet saying "Alleluhia! An almighty dollar saved!"
    I'll continue to favour prudency over wants and needs at this time. Maybe I'll wait for version 3 to come out in the next year or two!
    Same here.
    The power consumption of the v1 always concerned me. I don't know but I had the impression that it could cause issues to the MD in the long run and I'm not sure if it worked really properly on the MD model 2 because Virtual Racing is said to cause some noise on it due to higher power consumption (IDK how accurate this info is though).
    And the Battery RAM save thing on the v1 was bad, having to reset to save sucks IMO.

For us who live in Brazil Mega ED is really a very very big investment so it was something I'd only buy if the SMS FM support had been implemented (and now there's the PBC with FM which is a better option IMO) and for devices like this when you go with the first model you're likely to be a tester for a upcoming improved release.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Same here.
    The power consumption of the v1 always concerned me. I don't know but I had the impression that it could cause issues to the MD in the long run and I'm not sure if it worked really properly on the MD model 2 because Virtual Racing is said to cause some noise on it due to higher power consumption (IDK how accurate this info is though).
    And the Battery RAM save thing on the v1 was bad, having to reset to save sucks IMO.

For us who live in Brazil Mega ED is really a very very big investment so it was something I'd only buy if the SMS FM support had been implemented (and now there's the PBC with FM which is a better option IMO) and for devices like this when you go with the first model you're likely to be a tester for a upcoming improved release.
    Barone,
    I'll just sit and wait for the tech savy individuals to provide a detailed review about the new version and whether it lives up to the claims. It may be cost effective in the long run but it's definitely not a cheap device. I would wait until a full year has passed. By then, users will have provided concrete feedback about any known issues.

I'm in no hurry to get the device anyways. If need be, I'm willing to wait (for version 3 ).
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Power consumption is only a problem on the Nomad or certain clones. Totally not a problem on a regular MD. Not a problem on the Nomad, either, IF you're using the AC adapter.

The new design is better for clones. I've got plenty of other carts to use with my clones. The new design for separate save ram is better for people who forget to reset the MD to save the save ram to SD. Less of a hassle, but only a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. Other than, there's little difference... yet. It remains to be seen if KRIKzz makes some features using the FPGA that are v2 only. He does promise at least a couple more v1 OS updates. So I'm not worried about having the v1. It's not like it suddenly turned into crap.

gasega68k, I have been keeping an eye on this thread, and I think this is really interesting stuff. To keep this short, if you do plan to port F-Zero, do you think you would be able to use this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/s90oexhmft...0Town.vgz?dl=1

Maybe Stef's tool would be handy, or something.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Power consumption is only a problem on the Nomad or certain clones. Totally not a problem on a regular MD. Not a problem on the Nomad, either, IF you're using the AC adapter.

The new design is better for clones. I've got plenty of other carts to use with my clones. The new design for separate save ram is better for people who forget to reset the MD to save the save ram to SD. Less of a hassle, but only a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. Other than, there's little difference... yet. It remains to be seen if KRIKzz makes some features using the FPGA that are v2 only. He does promise at least a couple more v1 OS updates. So I'm not worried about having the v1. It's not like it suddenly turned into crap.
    Well that's reasonably good news for those individuals who purchased who purchased the other iterations. I was hoping that he would continue to update the old devices in order to at least include some of the features he promised when he initially advertised the item. Anyways, thanks for providing your feedback! Much obliged!

=-=

Raijin, this sounds so good:

I'm very, very impressed! IMHO it sounds better than the original! I can't believedthat you made improvements to the original track!
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 01-28-2015 at 08:53 PM.

WCPO Agent

And then you'll realize that there are only maybe three Megadrive games you like to play that you don't own already as original carts. That is what happened to me when I built myself a socketed eprom cart.

Having a single 1024x1024 bitmap for the entire track seems like an extremly resource-intensive approach. Is there some practical reason this isn't done with tiles instead so that identical ones are just reused?

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori View Post
    Having a single 1024x1024 bitmap for the entire track seems like an extremly resource-intensive approach. Is there some practical reason this isn't done with tiles instead so that identical ones are just reused?
    Speed. It's much faster to do the calculations on an entire image than it is on tiles (which add layers of indirection). Instead of simply "for pixel[0] on screen: calculate pixel in image", you have to do "for pixel[0] on screen: calculate tile in image; load tile; calculate pixel in tile". That's quite a bit slower. Pretty sure the reason this demo uses SRAM is so it can "draw" the tiles into it to make a proper image.

You'd have half the framerate (or even less) otherwise.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Well done gasega68k!

Raijin, this sounds so good:
    What a very good rendition.
    Thanks for posting.

I prefer F-Zero to Super Mario Kart, it's more focused on driving and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    gasega68k, I have been keeping an eye on this thread, and I think this is really interesting stuff. To keep this short, if you do plan to port F-Zero, do you think you would be able to use this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/s90oexhmft...0Town.vgz?dl=1

Maybe Stef's tool would be handy, or something.
    This really sounds very good, I'll try to include it in the demo of "Md-zero" (or G-zero, I think this name sounds better). I'll see if I can use the "XGM" driver of Stef for this.
    I unzipped the file to vgm and the size is 236KB, which was then converted to XGM and reduced to 120kB.
    The XGM driver uses samples of 14kHz, but now I do not know whether the samples in the "vgm" should be 14kHz, or if converted to 14kHz when converted the file to XGM, I think Stef can talk about this.
    I had already begun to make the map of "Big Blue" (because it is easier), but I'll try to make the "Port Town" which is corresponding to this music.

Although I have resumed work in Wolf3D (I have begun to change some graphics, such as some textures of walls and sprites, because I've changed a little color palette to prevent some sprites not look so "yellow" as the guards) I will also continue at the same time with the "G-zero" and "Sonic Kart".

This really sounds very good, I'll try to include it in the demo of "Md-zero" (or G-zero, I think this name sounds better). I'll see if I can use the "XGM" driver of Stef for this.
    I unzipped the file to vgm and the size is 236KB, which was then converted to XGM and reduced to 120kB.
    The XGM driver uses samples of 14kHz, but now I do not know whether the samples in the "vgm" should be 14kHz, or if converted to 14kHz when converted the file to XGM, I think Stef can talk about this.
    I had already begun to make the map of "Big Blue" (because it is easier), but I'll try to make the "Port Town" which is corresponding to this music.

Although I have resumed work in Wolf3D (I have begun to change some graphics, such as some textures of walls and sprites, because I've changed a little color palette to prevent some sprites not look so "yellow" as the guards) I will also continue at the same time with the "G-zero" and "Sonic Kart".
    G-Zero for the name would be a nice reference:
    http://fzero.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Racers

Always preferred F-Zero over SMK!
    G-Zero sounds much more "cool" than md-zero!!!

Very Nice gasega68k!!!
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 02-01-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

You don't have to care about the sample rate of the VGM, the converter automatically resample it to 14 Khz but the quality will be lowered as i use very basic nearest interpolation approach. If you want to use the XGM driver, you have to convert to XGC or BIN file, so you include that binary file in your rom (should be aligned on 256 bytes, SGDK includes tools for that) and you play it through the SND_startPlay_XGM(..) command.
    If you use SGDK makefile you don't have anything to do except declaring your VGM music in a .res file as :
    Code:
    XGM fzero_music "vgm/fzero.vgm"

Thread Information