Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vapor Trail

Default Vapor Trail

One thing Genesis owners could count on was a steady stream of games, courtesty of Renovation. The prolific publisher covered all the bases, from action/RPGs like Arcus Odyssey and Wanders from Ys to that most recognizable of Genesis genres: the shmup. The company that gave us Gaiares also released a few arcade ports, and among them was Vapor Trail, a vertical shooter that was big on action and bosses. Is it worth adding to your library? Read our full review and find out!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-22-2011 at 04:14 PM.

I remember renting the Japanese version. I thought the game was average, but it had good music. The voices weren't compressed very well and sound a bit warbly (not grainy or scratchy). He'll say "I can't hold it!" before he crashes. Sounds kind of like a retard. I would end up renting this game once more to record the main stage theme onto MiniDisc, as the drum samples kick ass. There is a Saturn version, and I forget what it's called. The music is the same theme but done with "real" instruments, however I think that I like the way the Genesis music sounds more.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Yeah, i could never make out what he said when he got shot down. it sounded like "aquialda" but thats not even a word, so i didnt include it lol.

Nice review, but how would multi-layered backgrounds work on a vertical shooter? This box says "8 MEG POWER", without an A. Where did they say it with the A?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Clouds could be a layer. And cliffs and such. Friggin' MUSHA has multilayered BGs all over the place.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Clouds could be a layer. And cliffs and such. Friggin' MUSHA has multilayered BGs all over the place.
    Yeah but musha is a freaking freak show that game is a vapor trail in 10 fault thats magic.Vapor trail i surely remeber the lovely music man the drum kicks as,if you defunkt all the guitar stuff etc except the z80 and the dac you,ll get suprisingly good drum solos,something a vinny calcuita could have done for a video game.

There is a Saturn version, and I forget what it's called.
    Skull Fang.

Hmm.. Yeah. I need to pick up MUSHA.....
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I agree with the review, the game is worth playing but kinda forgettable.
    Also the "roll" move seemed like a cheap way for the developers not to polish the gameplay better. As soon as things got a bit heated, you just did the roll and you were okay..
    It's lazy game design, and it's not like you had to save it for certain parts of the levels either.

The voice samples were pretty fun though

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

its otherwise crap with cool drumming part eh thats how i see it like twisted sister with dave lombardo from slayer lol.

Played this and the first thing I noticed was the unbalanced difficulty. Even on the easy mode this game is hard. The enemies just don't know when to stop shooting. Come on man! Gimme a breather here! Also, the ship is way to slow to keep up with the demanding pace. To top it off, the check points are brutal. Also, what's up with the crappy programming? I was trying to grab a power up and my Ship kept going through it.

5/10

Destroy the core! ROGER.

Wildside Expert EternalChampion's Avatar

This game is very good and not that hard. Just pick the slowest jet since it has the highest fire power and you can get speed power ups as you go along. Remembering what the different weapons are can be tuff if you don't play it for a while.

I disagree with the comments about the difficulty. I find the game pretty forgiving with the multiple hit life bar and the power up that makes your shots take up the whole screen. When you reach the last boss the game ditches the checkpoint continue system and you continue from the spot where you lost.

This seems to be, among the few more sober shmups on Genesis, the best one graphics-wise. The other war-like, "grounded" shmups like Raiden Trad, Mega Swiv, don't look so good. Am I right? I'd say that's something special about it. And it's multiplayer, which is rare in the genre. Another rare thing it boasts is a life bar.
    Last edited by paulojr_mam; 11-14-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Thread Information