Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Saturn or 3DO?

Default Should I get a Saturn or 3DO?

I'm interested in both of these consoles, but I want to hear what you guys think would be the better buy. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes FMV games. Thanks

That's like asking if you should buy a Lexus or a '93 Tempo. I'll let you figure out which is which.

What kind of FMV games do you like? The 3DO port of Myst is better than the Saturn one, though that's likely because of chance.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

The Saturn by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    That's like asking if you should buy a Lexus or a '93 Tempo. I'll let you figure out which is which.

What kind of FMV games do you like? The 3DO port of Myst is better than the Saturn one, though that's likely because of chance.
    Light Gun FMV games.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNexus7 View Post
    Light Gun FMV games.
    Go with the Lexus.

Can you recommend any games/peripherals?

There are many good games. I don't play many light gun games but Virtua Cop is fun.

Daytona USA, Virtual On, Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast (enhanced port of the 16 bit game) are all worth checking out. There are some unique games like Burning Rangers and Nights by Sonic Team that are fun too.

EDIT: Croc is the best platformer on the Saturn, but the PSX port is better.
    Last edited by Blades; 12-27-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post

But the '93 Tempo has the Dolby NR cassette player in it
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Saturn,no competition

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Please, do yourself a favor... get a Saturn!

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I got a Saturn mainly for NiGHTs but love many other games as well. Now, I recently acquired a japanese model 1 SS and play imports exclusively. I got rid of my Action Replay 4-in-1 adapter for my US model 2 in favor of using legitimate RAM cartridges that can be accessed and written to in-game, whereas the AR4in1 requires you to reset the system and then write the save within the internal memory to the cartridge. There aren't that many domestic games I actually would keep a US Saturn around for besides Three Dirty Dwarves, or Rayman, even though they also had Japanese releases (but I prefer the English VA's as they were developed in the west). Situations like these might merit keeping a US Saturn around. However, as somewhat of a polyglot who is learning multiple languages with Japanese being one of them, I'm enjoying playing import RPGs as it helps keep my Japanese studies active. Learning quickly with the exposure to different dialogue and such. Plus, Japanese versions of games that were also released in the west are usually much cheaper, as Saturn had a bigger user base in Japan.

Lastly, despite the suggestion of using AR 4-in-1 on a Japanese Saturn to play US games, keep in mind that some multi-disc games will not work in some instances and also, some games have glitches like not loading certain sounds or videos properly (as seen when playing Japanese Whizz on a US system) or some that become graphically scrambled (which happened to me when playing Twinbee on a US system).

3DO, I had, but sold. Despite all the easy access to games through piracy, there weren't any games that really captured me that were exclusives, although I liked that the 3DO version of Gex had a save feature as opposed to the password on the others. It also has one of the best ports of Wolfenstein. Still, it's not as bad as some have said. I'd go for Saturn in the end.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

SATUUUUUUURN

btw i found a buncha paper work from a factory sealed Saturn if anyone wants to make an offer. I have a poster somewhere with Fighting Viper guys or VF? and Daytona uSA that came with the satrun as well
    This image is too large and exceeds forum specifications. Please reduce it if you want to continue to use it.

I'll be the voice that tells you don't get either. Get a Sega CD if you wanna torture yourself with FMV stuff. The games are at least affordable and not impossibly rare.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I'm not going to claim it's "better", but since getting both consoles, I've played my 3DO far more than my Saturn. Partly that's because my Saturn has hardware flaws that annoy me (one bad audio channel, flaky cart slot); partly because it represents a slightly later stage of '90s gaming that I already have the PlayStation to enjoy; and partly because the 3DO is friendly to burned and import games right out of the box. The 3DO light gun is pretty expensive, though.

Quite a few games are on both consoles, or even on both + the PlayStation. Most multiplatform games seem to be better on the 3DO, oddly enough -- though that's usually because the devs tried desperately to recoup their money when it became clear the 3DO was doomed, and did a quick 'n' lazy port to the Saturn and/or PlayStation. But the 3DO had a few minor advantages, too, and was occasionally more capable in certain areas.

There are quite a few games that are on both Sega CD and 3DO, and they typically look much better on the latter. The 3DO version of Star Wars: Rebel Assault is actually playable on Hard, for instance, whereas it's an incomprehensible pixellated mess on Sega CD.

The 3DO version of BC Racers, though, is a stinker, and I seem to remember that at least one of the FMV light gun games (Crime Patrol) annoyingly implements limited continues for no reason vs. unlimited continues on the Sega CD. OTOH the 3DO version allows for 2P simultaneous co-op, which the Sega CD version doesn't.
    Last edited by goldenband; 12-27-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Captain Bit Master of Shinobi 16-bit's Avatar

I would recommend getting a modchip if you get a saturn, even imports are starting to get pretty high in price, it's not an easy system to get games for anymore.

Even though I like the Saturn better, I say get a 3DO, you can burn the best games for it right out of the box.

Thread Information