Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Saturn or 3DO?

Quote Originally Posted by BRNexus7 View Post
    I'm interested in both of these consoles, but I want to hear what you guys think would be the better buy. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes FMV games. Thanks

I'm sure the 3DO has its share of hidden gems or other games to make it worth checking out, and the hardware was powerful for its time. But there is just so much more gaming goodness to be had on the Saturn.
    Last edited by True Grave; 12-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

I'm interested in both of these consoles, but I want to hear what you guys think would be the better buy. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes FMV games. Thanks
    I have never owned let alone laid hands on any 3DO. However, I just fulfilled a childhood dream of rescuing a neglected Sega Saturn and my impressions of it are this:

Aesthetically the Sega Saturn is probably one of the most appealing consoles I've ever seen. I have a model 2 and I love how sturdy this thing feels and it is almost monolithic compared to other systems - the relief line work on the plastic is actually very nice, the detail and the CD lid add a sense of curvature to an otherwise robust blocky form. The black color and texture with white 'SEGA', 'Saturn' and logo print is very sharp - SEGA really knew how to make black look cool. The CD-player interface and all of the sound controls/options are neat; I'm indifferent about the internal battery. My only real complaint is that I wish the buttons were perhaps a different color, maybe a shade of grey.

I have the second model six-button controllers, they are pretty nice. The D-pad has good articulation and face buttons are nicely expressed, and I like how there are two textures of plastic - one pattern outside the controller for grip and a smoother inset which envelopes the buttons. Shoulder buttons are okay, could have been more responsive (this could be wear on mine though), and maybe because I'm older but I like if the pads have more thickness and weight to them as these generally feel a bit too slim and light. Otherwise your standard six-button SEGA scheme. Would like to get the 3D controller, have heard positive things about it.

Unfortunately I'm running composite video at the moment but the picture produced is actually good. I don't have the best ears for pitch, etc. but the sound is also good, especially playing something like Nights into Dreams - wow, the music really fills a room and is totally clean.

My biggest gripe with the Saturn is probably the most shared. The games are EXPENSIVE. I typically wouldn't buy a console that didn't have at least ten games that were worth owning, I have a wish-list of thirteen for the Saturn and eight of which fetch prices of over $100.00. That really hurts it for me, definitely plan to collect over a lifetime with the Saturn.

That said, I don't know too much about FMV games as that isn't my genre of choice. I'd endorse the Saturn if you plan to live for another fifty years and willing to make a slow journey collecting for it as in the long run it is definitely a worthwhile machine.

From what little I know about the 3DO, it has an exceptional import scene of game galleries of nude Asian women. So, there's that...

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

The 3DO is more of a curiosity, than something you go to for good gaming experiences.

The Saturn is an endless source of entertainment. It has that Beyond Oasis sequel, Soukyugerenti(expensive as hell), Sega Rally, overall just a ton of RPGs, shooters, and racing. A lot is Japan-only so get your region unlock cart.

It also has a lot of fighting games (Virtua Fighting, King of Fighters, all those Capcom ones). I have no interest in those, but maybe you do.

And get this, its the only Sega console that has a controller with enough buttons!!

Other good stuff includes a built-in memory card and a Video CD player.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hero of Algol

It really depends on what you're really looking for.

The FMV library of the 3DO is really great and the 2P simultaneous light gun games can be a lot of fun if you have the money to spend on those expensive orange guns (they're quality light guns though).
    The 3DO also has a lot of experimentation and awkward/bizarre games to try. Most of those games aren't any great according to the usual parameters but if you dig that sort of stuff you'll love the 3DO.
    OTOH the 3DO library is weak in terms of traditional and, especially, 2D games.

The Saturn's library is completely different. It's not that strong in terms of FMV (but you can dig some lesser known stuff and earlier games which have extensive and cheesy live action "cutscenes") and it's a powerhouse in terms of traditional games (especially Japanese-developed stuff).

The Panasonic FZ-10 is the most reliable and compatible 3DO model.
    The Sega Saturn model 2 is said to be more reliable and easier to install a modchip than the first model.

I had a 3DO and enjoyed it quite a bit but only had a few games for it. Need for speed and Gex are better on 3DO. Need for speed has more camera options (no 2 player mode tho), and an awesome cheat where you honk your horn and it sends all traffic into the sky. Touching one of those cars makes you lose usually so it's not totally unfair. Also there are videos where your oppponent taunts you at the end of a race. Gex has a level select cheat that lets you pick unfinished levels with unused enemies in it. It also lets you save your game.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Other games that are supposedly better on 3DO vs. Saturn or PlayStation:

D (allegedly)
    The Horde (FMVs are cut in Saturn version? Watch out for 3DO version's habit of wiping save memory)
    Lucienne's Quest/Sword and Sorcery (import-only Saturn version is supposedly horrendous)
    PO'ed
    Psychic Detective (PlayStation version is censored/cut)
    Road Rash (especially vs. the Saturn version, but there are differing opinions)
    Return Fire (I've also read differing opinions on this)
    Space Hulk
    Star Fighter (opinion seems unanimous on this -- 3DO is much better)

OTOH the PlayStation ports of Off-World Interceptor (Extreme) and Total Eclipse (Turbo) are supposedly improvements. I haven't played either but I know TET includes a savegame feature lacking in the 3DO version.

And in all honesty (and obviousness), none of these 3DO ports are killer apps for the target systems, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I'll be the voice that tells you don't get either. Get a Sega CD if you wanna torture yourself with FMV stuff. The games are at least affordable and not impossibly rare.
    I already own a Model 1 Sega CD. ( :

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

While I love both my 3DO and Saturn, I'd have to say go for the latter because there are a lot more games and they're more "traditional". As Barone pointed out, many of the games on the 3DO are just weird. They're not bad, but the console has it's own feel that you'll figure out very quickly.

Both of them have a large library of Japan exclusives, but on the 3DO you pretty much just want to get Dr Hauzer, Belzerian, Pyramid Intruder, Autobahn Tokio, Sailor Moon S, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I'd say get a Saturn. You'll probably be more satisfied with what's available in it's library and overall it's just a better system.

Accessories are still easy to get a hold of too. You can still get brand new Stunner Light Guns and Virtua Sticks on Amazon for $20-$30. Mission Sticks and Race Wheels are harder to come by but aren't too expensive when they do show up. Twin Sticks can get pricey, but if you're not interested in Virtual On that doesn't matter.

Definitely look into either getting a Japanese System or region modding a US system. You can import most games for a fraction of what their US counterparts go for, and short of RPGs the language barrier isn't really an issue.

Also be sure to check out SegaSaturn.co.uk. It's basically the Saturn Equivalent to this site:

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RPGbandit View Post
    btw i found a buncha paper work from a factory sealed Saturn if anyone wants to make an offer. I have a poster somewhere with Fighting Viper guys or VF? and Daytona uSA that came with the satrun as well
    $1 shipped.

Nameless One

Asking on a Sega forum which console to get between a Saturn and 3DO lol.

Why not get both like I did?

3do has better ports of PO'd, Road Rash, Need For Speed. And unique titles.

I love both of them. I want them both.

Quote Originally Posted by A31Chris View Post
    3do has better ports of Road Rash and Need For Speed.
    Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content.

Saturn library is so much better. It's not even close. Shame so many of the best Saturn games have spiked in price recently. Nothing is affordable anymore for the system, to the point where it might not even be worth owning one anymore (I personally don't and I like a lot of games for it.)

Best game on the system is Panzer Dragoon Saga, then NiGHTS in my opinion. A lot of the other games for the system fall in the realm of "solid but not unbelievable" in my opinion, but there's plenty to choose from. Sega Rally Championship, Daytona USA, World Series Baseball '98, Panzer Dragoon I and II, Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Fighters Megamix, Darius Gaiden, Rayman, just to name a few good games. Lots of great Japanese imports as well but also pricey.

3D0 on the other hand is mostly unplayable garbage, FMV games and bad 3rd party stuff. Not worth your time.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want to play. Personally I think a Saturn is worth buying for NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But after you beat those games, for the amount they go for, it's not worth keeping them around. I'd just buy a system and the games you really want to play, then sell them back online.

If you want some more bang for your buck, I'd go for another system.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content.

3DO version has no sense of speed. It looks like it takes 300 frames for a roadside object to pass through the screen.

I can't believe someone needs to decide on Saturn vs. 3DO. Though to be fair, the Saturn does get a lot of bad respect.

Stuff like "it was initially supposed to be a 2D console, but after hearing what the PS1 could do, they added 3D capabilities 1 month before launch". Are those people stupid? Sega pioneered 3D with Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, and now they're gonna design their next console without 3D capabilities in-mind?

But I do think it sucks that the 3DO M2 wasn't released. The specs for that thing don't look to bad. Aside from the RAM, which like the Dreamcast, is too small of a jump from their previous console.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content
    Depends on what you define as 'better.' The cars in NFS 3DO behave more realistically than in the PSX and Saturn ports which had more arcade-like handling.

That said I like the PSX/SAT ports. The slight jump in realism means nothing in a world where cars consist of 2 polygons.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Personally I think a Saturn is worth buying for NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But after you beat those games, for the amount they go for, it's not worth keeping them around. I'd just buy a system and the games you really want to play, then sell them back online. .
    Nights is now on PSN, so you can cross that one off too.

But I do think it sucks that the 3DO M2 wasn't released. The specs for that thing don't look to bad. Aside from the RAM, which like the Dreamcast, is too small of a jump from their previous console.
    You know the PS3 only has 256MB RAM? It is fast though.
    Last edited by Blades; 12-29-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Thread Information