Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Saturn or 3DO?

A Saturn.

Its library may be more expensive, but it's also vastly more extensive. Hell, some of the 3DO games came to the Saturn, so it's not like you'd be SOL with all of the 3DO titles.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Nameless One

I want to get a 3do but its more to have it and get literally and handful of games than anything else. I've had a Saturn since day 1 (still have my original model I bought the month it came out) but I never play it. Can you guys recommend any must haves? I got out of video games for a while when it came out until ps1 came out so I only have maybe 7 games for it (road rash, virtual fighter and virtua cop, nhl 97, nhl all star hockey, Daytona, mk2, sf: the movie...yes I know...lol). I'd be interested in getting into it as it seems to get a lot of love on here. I was always a sega guy but when Saturn came out I just remember thinking that there weren't any games I seemed interested in buying. It wasn't Saturn sucks, just nothing I wanted.

Banned by Administrators

What?! Why is this even a question? GET THE SATURN! NOW! lol

EDIT - buy me one too, as my mom lost my very first easrly release Saturn.

EDIT - oh, I'll mention some games too.

- Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force 3 Sceanrio 1, 2, 3, & Premium Disk. Best games on the planet.
    - Sega Rally. Best Racing game.
    - Sega Touring Car. Very under rated. Like it more then Daytona USA. Never gave it a chance when I bought it brand new. Did recently and now I so regret it.
    - Daytona USA CE (Japanese version). Only version of Daytona to get
    - Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Best light gun games.
    - Hourse of dead. Port wasn't done by Sega & rushed. So it really shows greaphically, but still great if you like lightgun games.
    - Sonic Jam. Just for the glimpse of what 3D Sonic games could of been like. ... Course the 4 Genesis Sonic games are a must.
    - D & Enemy Zero. Here are your FMV games.
    - isn't the Saturn version of that Hideo Kojima FMV game getting a fan translation too? I know the PS1 version is translated.
    - There's got to be a ton more FMV games. Go check "Sega Ga Ga" site for all the juicy info.
    Last edited by Thief; 12-29-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    That's like asking if you should buy a Lexus or a '93 Tempo. I'll let you figure out which is which.

I wouldn't say that... More like getting a Saturn (vehicle) or a Gremlin.

Ultimately, Saturn is the better choice. And for FMV light gun games... It's just about your only choice. Good luck finding a 3DO light gun, don't even know if that exist.

If you're gaming on a budget.... 3DO would be the way to go because it will play any copied game. Saturn on the other hand requires a complicated mod chip. And it's worth it as there are quite a few expensive/rare Saturn games that you will never play without a modchip. Unless you wanna spend hundreds of dollars on a single game.

For me, 3DO is worth owning for Another World/Out of this World port ALONE! Best port every, enhanced backgrounds and music and smooth gameplay compared to any of it's counter parts. Love that game!

If you do a direct comparison, Road Rash is better and smoother on Saturn compared to 3DO. There's another great title!

I might still have a Saturn gun... message me if interested. (I'll check tonight) And I'm actually thinking of selling my Modchipped - Saturn... For the right price.
    Last edited by mrbigreddog; 12-29-2014 at 08:46 AM.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content.
    Um, yes it does? The Saturn NFS is faster, but has no oncoming traffic (according to the people at 3DO Zone), pretty much ruining the game. They also nerfed the handling to make it less realistic. They took a game that wasn't meant to be an arcade racer and made it into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    What?! Why is this even a question? GET THE SATURN! NOW! lol

EDIT - buy me one too, as my mom lost my very first easrly release Saturn.

EDIT - oh, I'll mention some games too.

- Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force 3 Sceanrio 1, 2, 3, & Premium Disk. Best games on the planet.
    - Sega Rally. Best Racing game.
    - Sega Touring Car. Very under rated. Like it more then Daytona USA. Never gave it a chance when I bought it brand new. Did recently and now I so regret it.
    - Daytona USA CE (Japanese version). Only version of Daytona to get
    - Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Best light gun games.
    - Hourse of dead. Port wasn't done by Sega & rushed. So it really shows greaphically, but still great if you like lightgun games.
    - Sonic Jam. Just for the glimpse of what 3D Sonic games could of been like. ... Course the 4 Genesis Sonic games are a must.
    - D & Enemy Zero. Here are your FMV games.
    - isn't the Saturn version of that Hideo Kojima FMV game getting a fan translation too? I know the PS1 version is translated.
    - There's got to be a ton more FMV games. Go check "Sega Ga Ga" site for all the juicy info.
    This isn't a knock on your list, but a reflection of my tastes, but outside of the Shining games on your list, not one of those games interest me. I played sega rally back in the day and didn't like it. Sonic, I know people love it but that always represented the more "kid" game scene. I'd play the shooting games but I don't have a CRT. I like RPGs but with 2 kids my days of weeks dedicated to games is long over.

Honestly I think Saturn is a system in this weird sort of neutral zone for me. It's after the systems I grew up with as a young kid (nes, genesis, and sega cd) that I will always play and have nostalgia for but before the systems that got me really back into games (ps1 and 2, Xbox 360). Yes, I know ps1 was the same generation as Saturn but I got the ps1 wayyyyyyyy after it came out,not when it was first released. I think I might just go on you tube and look for some of those top 10 Saturn game videos.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

I have and love the 3DO, but if I had to choose it really wouldn't be a choice, Saturn all the way. It's really one of the best systems ever made if you like arcade gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

saturn has more rpgs (in english t00)

/topic

seriously though, more good software in general. both quality and maybe close to quanitity
    This image is too large and exceeds forum specifications. Please reduce it if you want to continue to use it.

games that warrant a 3d0

Demolition Man
    Luciennes Quest
    Crime patrol 1 & 2
    and sex games
    This image is too large and exceeds forum specifications. Please reduce it if you want to continue to use it.

Wildside Expert

I have a Saturn and while I like the console itself, I have yet to find the game that keeps me coming back for more. I haven't given up on it though. I hate how expensive some games are. I bought my system for $25 last year at a local game shop. That same shop now sells Saturns for $56, so they are climbing up there in price.

I've never owned a 3DO, but as much as I try to avoid downloading ROMs/ISOs I will say that the lack of copy protection is a plus in my book. A few months ago I saw one on ebay for $74 and I think other units go for near $100 or over $100.

Nameless One

I've been thinking that I'll probably get a 3do with the usb mod so it won't fail and I don't have to buy the games. I prefer to own games and I've added probably 50 carts to my collection since June but at some point I have to not spend thousands on games.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Um, yes it does? The Saturn NFS is faster, but has no oncoming traffic (according to the people at 3DO Zone), pretty much ruining the game. They also nerfed the handling to make it less realistic. They took a game that wasn't meant to be an arcade racer and made it into one.
    But it does have oncoming traffic?:

The guy has a head-on collision with oncoming traffic around the 1:30 mark. And you can see more oncoming traffic later on. The handling could easily just be due the framerate difference making things more responsive.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

But it does have oncoming traffic?:

The guy has a head-on collision with oncoming traffic around the 1:30 mark. And you can see more oncoming traffic later on. The handling could easily just be due the framerate difference making things more responsive.
    Ok, I stand corrected, the Saturn version has a mode with 7 opponents and no traffic and 1 opponent with normal traffic. I still stand by my opinion that the zippy handling goes against the game's intention of realism. As an arcade racer, it doesn't have much pizazz or identity compared to the other offerings on the Saturn.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I'd say get a Saturn. You'll probably be more satisfied with what's available in it's library and overall it's just a better system.

Accessories are still easy to get a hold of too. You can still get brand new Stunner Light Guns and Virtua Sticks on Amazon for $20-$30. Mission Sticks and Race Wheels are harder to come by but aren't too expensive when they do show up. Twin Sticks can get pricey, but if you're not interested in Virtual On that doesn't matter.

Definitely look into either getting a Japanese System or region modding a US system. You can import most games for a fraction of what their US counterparts go for, and short of RPGs the language barrier isn't really an issue.

Also be sure to check out SegaSaturn.co.uk. It's basically the Saturn Equivalent to this site:

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/
    I thought that Pro Action Replay will play Saturn imports?

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    You know the PS3 only has 256MB RAM? It is fast though.
    Yes we all know how the PS3 only has 256 MBs. Half the RAM of what the 360 has. Sony really screwed up in that department.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thread Information