Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturn Street Fighter Collection Confusion

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Here's this thread that mentions it:

http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtop...58200&start=20

If you google Street Fighter Alpha 3 V-ISm Timings you'll probably find more info. Basically the Dreamcast port is all kinds of screwed up. The Saturn port came after it too, so I wouldn't really consider it a revision either. And if I remember correctly even the later ports aren't as badly screwed up either.
    The details he gives there sound like intentional changes. Apparently those changes were poorly received by the hardcore fan community, but it's not "screwed up" if it's deliberate.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The details he gives there sound like intentional changes. Apparently those changes were poorly received by the hardcore fan community, but it's not "screwed up" if it's deliberate.
    Except those changes don't carry over to the other versions that came out after the Dreamcast port, including the Saturn port. It's not only the V-ISM timings that are screwed up but supposedly the hitboxes for most the characters are screwed up too.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Except those changes don't carry over to the other versions that came out after the Dreamcast port, including the Saturn port. It's not only the V-ISM timings that are screwed up but supposedly the hitboxes for most the characters are screwed up too.
    The Saturn port came out only one month after the Dreamcast port. It also doesn't use the Dreamcast version's expanded world tour mode or three player option. I only own the game for Saturn, but I see that even the main menu screen looks completely different on Dreamcast. I would bet that there are a few little things in terms of game options in the Dreamcast version that aren't in the Saturn one. And let's not forget that the later PS2 port gets rid of most of the features from the earlier ports. Discrepancies will arise when a game has separately produced ports for numerous platforms. Also note that the Dreamcast version is subtitled Saikyo Dojo, while the Saturn and Playstation versions are not.

I have not seen anything specifically asserting that the changes did not carry over to Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper. Considering that it's for the Naomi hardware, and has a VMU interface to allow players to upload their character file from the Dreamcast port, I would expect it to be in line with the Dreamcast version. I haven't seen anyone analyze the PSP version either, and that one is subtitled Double Upper in Japan and its world tour mode matches the Dreamcast version. I don't have proof, but I think the changes did carry over to these two ports.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Capcom recently announced a port of Alpha 3 for the NESiCAxLive and said it would be the CPS2 version, because "fans prefer it over Upper", and by what I'm seeing on that forum the DC version is indeed the same as Upper (and also the PS2/Xbox anniversary collection).
    Good to know, because is means it's the best home port excluding Double Upper, since it's more balanced and the anniversary edition is an arcade port that lacks the console exclusive modes.

Master of Shinobi

While Barone already covered this, I'm just going to point out that that this is again impossible. The Saturn doesn't support that resolution. The Saturn's supported resolutions are as follows:

320x224
    320x240(PAL)
    352x224
    352x240(PAL)
    640x224
    640x240(PAL)
    704x224
    704x240(PAL)
    640x448
    640x480(PAL)
    704x448
    704x480(PAL)
    Those are all NTSC. PAL modes have 256/512 lines.

You can also do 320/352 x 448/480/512 as well, though few games use it.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Those are all NTSC. PAL modes have 256/512 lines.

You can also do 320/352 x 448/480/512 as well, though few games use it.
    My bad, though still the point was that the Saturn can't do 384x224 like the PS1 can.

Though I didn't know it did those odd 320/352x480 resolutions. What games use those? I thought that was just a PS1 thing.

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

This might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but which Street Fighter games are on this collection? Now all I need is an adapter to use my arcade sticks for other systems on the Saturn!

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    This might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but which Street Fighter games are on this collection? Now all I need is an adapter to use my arcade sticks for other systems on the Saturn!
    Street Fighter Collection contains:
    Super Street Fighter 2
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold

Capcom Generation 5 contains:
    Street Fighter 2 The World Warrior
    Street Fighter 2' Champion Edition
    Street Fighter 2' Hyper Fighting

Thread Information