Quantcast

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

I beat stage 11 on Pond. Switching from 60 to 50 Hz was a huge help :P.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thumbs up The name is PWND, James PWND

After dozens of tries on stage 11, I finally mastered it and could soon beat it more easily (still, the unfair enemy placements, missiles etc. gave me trouble). Then came stage 12, and I wondered how the heck I was going to beat this game. On this stage, there are not one agent after you like in 11, but five! Add to that, you need to put the pears on the home tube, which often fails. Then you need to pick it up on the tube, while five agents are on to you. Fortunately, you can heal up by going down in the tube, but I lost some lives because of this. However, what pissed me off is that it seems like once you reach stage 12, all continues you have left are taken away, so you must beat it on the current one you play. Still, I struggled on. After some practice, I realized stage 12 is easier than 11 after all, and after a few uses of the teleport to stage 11 from 1, I was able to beat 12 after that. I was thinking of calling it a day there and moving on to James Pond 2, but though I had beaten all stages of the game, doing it on the same run had not been done so I felt a bit unsatisfied. So a few runs through the full game later, and many curse words and frustrated knuckles beating my sofa, I did it:

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Beautiful! Thanks for putting the time into such a challenging game -- I bet it felt pretty good to beat it.

My understanding is that JP2 is a pretty smooth experience by comparison...and of course, JP3 still needs to be beaten.

Thanks! Yeah, it felt very good .

That's good, the sooner I beat number 2 I can tackle the third one. I only beat the second one by cheating when I was a kid and gave up on the third one after a while.

Default Super Monaco GP

I'm surprised to see that Super Monaco GP is still on the list, so I decided to put this classic under my wing and give the treatment that it deserves.

I've completed the Monaco GP mode, but I couldn't take any pictures, but here's my score:

Got a Pole Position on the preliminary race; placed 2nd on the first race ( 3'03''45 ) and 1st on the final race (3'06''55 ), with 3684 Driver Points.

Now I'm going for the Championship mode, one race at the time, since this is a very challenging game.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

I played James Pond 2 today. Just beat it on the second try . As goldenband said, it was much easier than the first. I may start on the third one tomorrow.

EDIT: Btw, is there a Brit around here who would do me a favor of buying one of those Penguin chocolate bisquits and send to me in Sweden? All paid by me (via PayPal) of course .
    Last edited by Zebbe; 01-17-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Penguin chocolate biscuits ... You should try Britannia's chocolate flavoured cream biscuits. Yum!!! I visited several relations in the UK quite some time ago and was offered a plate full of these delectable biscuits. When I got home I developed a craving for this brand of biscuit each time I had cup of tea.

Much to my surprise, I was casually walking down a local grocery isle only to discover that they began importing these in select locations. I now have a small stockpile on reserve in case they stop stocking them.

P.S. if you ever get someone to ship you those biscuits, see if you can get them to also ship a box of Thorntons chocolates! They are delicious!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

The reason I'm interested in the Penguin bisquits is because they are in the game, one of the first examples of in-game advertising :P.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Forget about the Penguin Biscuits! Trust me! Bourbon chocolate flavoured cream biscuits are alot tastier! And so are the Thorntons chocolates to boot!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

"Your days are gone!"

Alright, enough with the cookies talk, it's time for some serious business. It's time for Super Monaco GP.

Like I said before, I took this classic under my wing and really smoked this game. In order to finish the game, you need to beat the World Championship mode twice; on the second time, you have to defend your title and make a comeback against G.Ceara ( it's actually possible, albeit very hard, to beat him in Brazil and keep your Madonna car on the second season. But then it wouldn't be as fun ). On the second season, I went with team Firenze (Ferrari?) and you really need to be at your best game, since Ceara will always be on your ass.

I found that the best way to approach this game is to be really aggressive on every turn, trying to go as fast as you can; using the kerbs really helps on that. That's where you win the races.
    Also, I went with the 4-Manual gear, since the automatic gear doesn't give you the necessary horsepower when you have the inferior car. 7-gear is just overkill IMO and you don't really need it.

Honorable mention to the music on this game; there aren't many tunes, but they all pretty good.

It's a classic game and still one of the best F1 games ever. It's Super Monaco GP!:
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Excellent! I'm always impressed when someone crushes a game that completely stymies me (I'm absolutely terrible at Super Monaco GP). Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post

Like I said before, I took this classic under my wing and really smoked this game. In order to finish the game, you need to beat the World Championship mode twice; on the second time, you have to defend your title and make a comeback against G.Ceara ( it's actually possible, albeit very hard, to beat him in Brazil and keep your Madonna car on the second season. But then it wouldn't be as fun ). On the second season, I went with team Firenze (Ferrari?) and you really need to be at your best game, since Ceara will always be on your ass.

I found that the best way to approach this game is to be really aggressive on every turn, trying to go as fast as you can; using the kerbs really helps on that. That's where you win the races.
    Also, I went with the 4-Manual gear, since the automatic gear doesn't give you the necessary horsepower when you have the inferior car. 7-gear is just overkill IMO and you don't really need it.
    Congrats, Bottino!
    I beat this game at easy difficulty last year but lacked the motivation to move on to normal mode.
    It's good to hear that you can beat normal mode using still the 4-manual gear, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    Congrats, Bottino!
    I beat this game at easy difficulty last year but lacked the motivation to move on to normal mode.
    It's good to hear that you can beat normal mode using still the 4-manual gear, though.
    Thanks man!

At first, I thought that the Auto-gear could be enough, but like i said in my previous post, it didn't gave me the necessary horsepower ( a must for the qualifying races ). When I made the transition to the 4-manual gear and learned that I could make pretty much every turn at full speed, that gave me a huge boost over the CPU; the other racers stands no chance when you make a turn at full speed.

PASS THEM AT THE HAIRPIN TURN!
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

007 The Duel is a turd. I hate the controls. Has anyone else ever played this game?

^I played it a bit, sometime last year or the year before. I eventually got through the first level or two, but I certainly wasn't a fan of the game.

Thread Information