Quantcast

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

You can strike Striker off the PAL list.
    I won the Knockout Competition at hard difficulty setting. You have to play at hard in order to see the "victory scenes".

Three in a row! World Championship Soccer 2 completes the hat-trick. I won the World Championship '94 at normal difficulty.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Seingalt, tearin' it up! Great work.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

My save game slot got corrupted on my 3rd attempt to win the eastern conference finals in NBA Live '98. I really don't feel like starting over with a new tournament, so I'm setting NBA Live '98 aside for the time being. If I find the enthusiasm, I'll return to it later. If any one wants to tackle the game in the meantime, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Seingalt, tearin' it up! Great work.
    Thanks!

I also played NBA All-Star Challenge yesterday. Unfortunately it’s not clear to me what constitutes beating that game. NBA All-Star Challenge features 4 single game competitions as well as one 8-player knockout tournament mode. However instead of picking one player and proceeding through the tournament, you take part in all 7 tournament games irrespective of the results. For example even if you lose all 4 quarter-final games you still play in both semi-final games. On the other hand if you win all quarter-final games and therefore qualify with 4 players for the next round the computer takes over control of two of your players in the semi-finals. After the final the credits are shown even if you’ve lost the game.

Beat Mario Lemieux Hockey at normal difficulty. Although the game is rather slow I kinda enjoyed playing it; it's a welcome change to the NHL games.

Btw. I noticed that Elitserien 95/96 is missing from the lists. I guess it's because of the simililarity to NHL 95/96? Nevertheless that's somewhat strange since NHL is a Genesis game whereas Elitserien is a PAL exclusive?

You keep beating easy shovelware sports games lol.

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    There is no such thing as a shovelware Genesis game; these are all world class games especially Champions World Class Soccer:

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    I also played NBA All-Star Challenge yesterday. Unfortunately it’s not clear to me what constitutes beating that game.
    From your description it sounds like a very murky case, but if you've played through what the game expects you to do, I guess it's done...?

Pending that, I'll mark you down for all three games, including Champions World Class Soccer. Well done, sir!

Btw. I noticed that Elitserien 95/96 is missing from the lists. I guess it's because of the simililarity to NHL 95/96? Nevertheless that's somewhat strange since NHL is a Genesis game whereas Elitserien is a PAL exclusive?
    My understanding is that both games are just title screen & roster swaps for the Swedish market, so they're more like variants than separate games. If that's incorrect, let me know (but I really hope it's correct ).

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    In this thread, that's what we call a hero.

From your description it sounds like a very murky case, but if you've played through what the game expects you to do, I guess it's done...?
    Very murky, indeed. If you’re not confused by my explanation of the strange tournament mode, then you didn’t understand my explanation. Conversely if you are confused, then your brain works very well.
    There seems to be nothing specific that the game expects you to do. I played through the tournament and saw the credits despite losing most matches. You could set an artificial goal like winning all the single game challenges or winning all tournament games, though.
    For my own records I include games like this one, Blockout, Arch Rivals and Worms among the not beatable games. For the purpose of this thread it’s of course up to you how to handle these things.

My understanding is that both games are just title screen & roster swaps for the Swedish market,
    Yes, that’s my understanding too.

There seems to be nothing specific that the game expects you to do. I played through the tournament and saw the credits despite losing most matches. You could set an artificial goal like winning all the single game challenges or winning all tournament games, though.
    If you want to come up with an artificial goal that seems appropriate and replay the game, go for it, but otherwise I'm content to call it done.

For my own records I include games like this one, Blockout, Arch Rivals and Worms among the not beatable games. For the purpose of this thread it’s of course up to you how to handle these things.
    Heh, I saw off two of those games for the thread -- but as you say, I don't list them in my beaten games list. For Block Out I cleared one story of blocks on the hardest level (10) in all three default modes, and for Worms I beat the CPU in whatever seemed like the toughest settings.

If you want to come up with an artificial goal that seems appropriate and replay the game, go for it, but otherwise I'm content to call it done.
    The game is rather bad, therefore I currently lack the motivation to revisit it any time soon.

- but as you say, I don't list them in my beaten games list.
    More than 550 beaten games! That's quite impressive. Keep it up!

More than 550 beaten games! That's quite impressive. Keep it up!
    Thank you! Some of those entries should probably be culled since they were beaten when I had lower standards; I'm gradually re-beating those games. But most of them -- and just about everything on the Sega -- are legit.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd post a recap of the NTSC Genesis sports games that currently remain. Thanks to Seingalt's recent efforts, it's down to 40 games, plus 10 racing games. Golf and soccer are nearly done, and it wouldn't take too much to finish off baseball, boxing, or hockey.

Sports

Baseball:

Frank Thomas ‘Big Hurt’ Baseball
    Hardball III
    Hardball ‘94
    Hardball ‘95
    Tecmo Super Baseball

Basketball:

Barkley Shut Up and Jam! 2
    Coach K College Basketball
    College Slam
    Dick Vitale’s “Awesome Baby” College Hoops
    Jammit
    NBA Live ‘98
    NCAA Final Four Basketball
    Team USA Basketball
    Tecmo Super NBA Basketball

Boxing:

Foreman For Real
    George Foreman’s KO Boxing

Fishing:

TNN Bass Tournament of Champions
    TNN Outdoors Bass Tournament ‘96

Football:

College Football USA '96
    Cyberball
    ESPN Sunday Night NFL
    John Madden Football ’93 CE
    NCAA Football
    NFL ‘98
    NFL Quarterback Club ‘96
    NFL Sports Talk Football ’93 Starring Joe Montana
    Troy Aikman NFL Football
    Unnecessary Roughness ‘95

Golf:

Pebble Beach Golf Links

Hockey:

ESPN National Hockey Night
    NHL All-Star Hockey ‘95
    NHLPA Hockey ‘93
    Tecmo Super Hockey

Olympics:

Summer Challenge
    Winter Challenge
    Winter Olympic Games: Lillehammer ‘94

Soccer:

AWS Pro Moves Soccer
    Head-On Soccer

Other:

California Games
    Powerball

Racing:

Championship Pro-Am
    ESPN Speed World
    Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge
    Formula 1
    Kawasaki SuperBike Challenge
    Lotus Turbo Challenge
    Mario Andretti Racing
    Newman Haas Indy Car - Featuring Nigel Mansell
    Nigel Mansell’s World Championship Racing
    Super Monaco GP II (Ayrton Senna’s)
    Last edited by goldenband; 11-21-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Hero of Algol

Greatest Heavyweights
    I've beaten this one today. Tournament mode (there's no difficulty setting in this game), 12 rounds each fight (default is 3 which sucks IMO), with Ali. 7 wins by KO out of 7 fights. Joe Louis being the toughest opponent IMO.
    No video or screenshot this time, sorry (but I plan to record another complete gameplay in the next days).

Ali's ending has a real picture of himself (from the chest to the head) and his character of the game standing aside. His real story scrolls up; it's very accurate for what I can tell and it does mention the strip of his title due to him refusing to go to Vietnam.
    At some point the US flag appear on the background, HUGE, and using both vertical and horizontal line scrolling effects. It looks cool IMO.
    But the coolest part is that there's a mediocre melody playing in the background, some like a early 90s hip hop/rap with some voiced remarkable quotes by Ali (with his real voice as it seems) and one of them says something like: "You can't hurt me, motherfucker!!!".
    You can clearly hear the insult, haha!!!! Bad ass ending!

After that, the fictional fighters will be unlocked.

Now some strategies I used (I'm not a expert player yet, especially in terms of quickly changing the moves on the fly and chaining some crazy combos - this game is superb by the way - but I have my own style):

Ali vs Evander Holyfield:
    We all know that Holyfield is just a blown up crusader, so it's of course a mismatch. No need to hold B (guard) for this guy.
    Left jab to the head (Hold UP + Press A) the hell out of this bitch. Keep the distance just enough to reach him - because he can't reach you most of the time - and punish him with no mercy. Ali's left jab is his quickest one and it's perfect for the "The Roid Deal".
    Get quickly in and out of his the striking range using the left jab to the head to enter, followed by a right uppercut (Z button) and another left jab to the head while getting back. But press him all the time, push him to the ropes. He'll last about 3 rounds and that's it.

Ali vs Joe Frazier:
    Hold B (guard) all the time.
    "One of the most devastating left hooks in the history of boxing"; yeah, be careful with "Smoking" Joe Frazier.
    He will try to get in your range all the time, willing to eat some big punches in the process, just like the real one.
    He will also punish your body so be smart and use Ali's speed to get out of trouble, using the left jab to the head to stop Frazier's combos.
    As Frazier is usually with his head down, he'll eat some big uppercuts and that's the key to the victory here. But be smart, he'll hit and get out, so push forward when he goes back and don't let him play the counter game with you. Use right uppercuts in quick sequence in order to take the most out of your striking.
    You gotta do it fast and press him in order to finish the guy in the early rounds, otherwise he will demolish your body.
    First and second rounds are the ones to deteriorate his chin, because after that he'll have already slowed you down by punishing your body (yes, this game is that accurate).
    As you slowdown due to punishment, increase the distance and the use of jabs; time your right uppercuts for the openings because they are the last thing to go away. A sequence of only right uppercuts is usually effective when Frazier is busted already. Better finish him in 3rd or 4th; otherwise you'll be in deep, deep waters.

Ali vs Larry Holmes:
    A good boxer but also a traitor, so we gonna finish this guy real quick.
    Holmes likes to use a long ass right jab when you try to get in his range, so you have to go through it, quickly, and then unload some right uppercuts on him. When he reacts, just get out of his range real fast using right and left jabs to his head 'cause he'll go for the body and that would still your magical speed.
    Put him against the ropes and uppercut his head to the moon. When his chin has gone, you can combine left and right hooks and mix them with uppercuts.
    He didn't pass the first round with me.

Ali vs Floyd Patterson:
    Small guy going for the body, similar to Joe Frazier but with a bit more reach, mixing some right and left hooks with body shots.
    The left jab to the head is the key here once again.
    Combination: Left jab, Left Jab, Right Jab (while pushing forward for this last one). Get in and out all the time and you'll be safe. It will take some 4-to-8 rounds to beat this guy.

Ali vs Rocky Marciano:
    Here we have a real puncher, so we can't just trade punches with this guy. If you hit him 2 times and he hits you just one you're still in debt. That's how powerful this motherfucker is.
    But, as Rocky Balboa told us, the real Rocky liked to get in range with his head down and projected to the front, so uppercuts are the key to the victory here; but you have to be VERY careful with his body combos, he can knock you down real quick and wear down your body to the point that you won't be able to out box him anymore.
    Get in range quickly and try a right uppercut; with he east, unload more right uppercuts. If he blocks, insist. If he punches and lands on you, run for your life using the left jab to "freeze" him.
    3x left jab + right jab will usually work when his head is really down and he's trying to force to get in your range. One left jab + one right uppercut is also a good combination.

Ali vs Jack Dempsey and Ali vs Joe Louis:
    Keep the distance at all costs, use the left jab all the time and let them taunt you. When they taunt, try a left uppercut; it it lands, go for one or two more; if they block, insist; if they counter, get out with the left jab.
    Be quick with your hands and footwork, otherwise you'll be pretty screwed. These fights are likely to go to the later rounds, but you must finish them by KO if you wanna win.

^Nice one! That ending sounds hilarious and badass indeed.

Thread Information