Quantcast

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    I played Dino Diniís Soccer during last yearís World Cup and beat the game at game level 4 or 5. However my goal was to win the Original 1994 World Cup at game level 6 (i. e. all settings at the equivalent of medium) without save scumming. Unfortunately the real World Cup was finished before I reached that goal and I kinda lost interest in the game afterwards.
    Ok...well...this is embarassing but...can you teach me how to play then?
    I'm trying the game but i am not getting it...the ball doesn't stay attached to your feet and you can't turn without losing it. I read that you have to hold the "fire" button to hold the ball but the opponents are really fast and I don't have the time to think about any maneuver...so I keep taking 5 or 6 goals at half without understanding what is happening.
    Any suggestion? Even with basic commands!

Or if you prefer, there is an alternative: would you like to take over from where you left and finish the game for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Discomusic View Post
    Ok...well...this is embarassing but...can you teach me how to play then?
    I'm trying the game but i am not getting it...the ball doesn't stay attached to your feet and you can't turn without losing it. I read that you have to hold the "fire" button to hold the ball but the opponents are really fast and I don't have the time to think about any maneuver...so I keep taking 5 or 6 goals at half without understanding what is happening.
    Any suggestion? Even with basic commands!
    In order to stop the ball you have to:
    1. press the Ąshootď button before your player reaches the ball and hold the button down
    2. release the direction button before you
    3. release the shoot button
    4. now you can turn/change the direction without losing the ball

Alternatively you can just tap the direction button instead of pressing/holding it, now your player runs much slower but you can change the direction without losing the ball.

I recommend that you set the CPU speed to the slowest level until you are familiar with these controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Discomusic View Post
    Or if you prefer, there is an alternative: would you like to take over from where you left and finish the game for us?
    Iíve started to work on Spirou and reached the 6th level so far (there are 14 levels and you get the only password in the game after level 7). Iíve beaten the game before this thread started and IĎm confident that Iíll do so again but it may take quite some time (the game is not easy and I rarely play it atm).
    A few days ago I bought Summer Challenge (which is still unbeaten, although not a PAL exclusive) on ebay but the game hasnít arrived yet. I loved Olympic Gold and Olympic Summer Games and Iím highly motivated to start this game as soon as it arrives.
    And then sometime in December or January I have to beat Winter Challenge.

Therefore Dino Diniís Soccer is on the back burner right now.
    If itís still unbeaten when the UEFA EURO 2020 starts, Iíll definitely take it up again
    However I would take it up much earlier (as well as speeding up my efforts with Spirou and tackling some other games) if we can get a collective effort started to finish off the PAL list. If three people pull together and motivate each other by posting frequently about their efforts and progress I think the PAL list will be done in no time.
    Last edited by Seingalt; 08-30-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    In order to stop the ball you have to:
    1. press the Ąshootď button before your player reaches the ball and hold the button down
    2. release the direction button before you
    3. release the shoot button
    4. now you can turn/change the direction without losing the ball

Alternatively you can just tap the direction button instead of pressing/holding it, now your player runs much slower but you can change the direction without losing the ball.

I recommend that you set the CPU speed to the slowest level until you are familiar with these controls.
    Thanks for the tips!
    Tried yesterday, still kinda hard to time the buttons while the opponents are chasing you. But i managed to tie 1-1 with England against Singapore :-)
    A good thing is that the CPU tends to commit a lot of fouls, and every foul results in a red card, so if i can resist some minutes without taking goals all the opponents will be expelled until they are reduced to a minimum of 4 players and then I can try to play my game. Somehow, it remains difficult to not lose the ball and score.

I'll keep you updated!

Hereís a short update on my progress with Summer Challenge:

My copy of the game arrived on Saturday and I played it every day since.

At the Amateur level I placed first with 4 gold medals and 1 bronze medal for a total of 13 points. I played the whole tournament without reloading between the events.

At the Professional level however I took adventage of the game's battery and save scummed until I won all eight gold medals resulting in a maximum of 24 points. I used save scumming just to test if Iím potentially able to win the gold medal at every event. Now I intend to beat the Professional level sportsmanlike (i.e. without save scumming).

Btw. I play the game with a standard 3-button pad (autofire would obviously undermine a game that is in large part about button mashing).

Attached Images Attached Images

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Fantastic, Seingalt! I appreciate the desire to beat the game in a "sportsmanlike" way, but your victory is more than good enough for our purposes, so I'd like to count it. (I've certainly save-scummed a bunch of games, especially the HardBall games -- if the game allows it, it's 100% legit IMHO.)

Ok, hereís my take on save scumming:
    While it is common with most other genres, itís desirability with sports games imo depends on the type of game.
    I donít mind it at all with sports games that donít simulate a tournament but instead require you just to beat every opponent in the game or a certain number of opponents (e.g. Pete Sampras Tennis, Head-On Soccer, NBA Jam).
    Also if a game is quite long, letís say you have to play the regular season before advancing to the playoffs and then you get eliminated in the playoffs I donít object to save scumming.
    However with short tournament-type games (like Summer Challenge) I consider save scumming questionable; often itís harder to beat these games at the lowest difficulty squarely than at the highest difficulty with the help of save scumming.
    Another extreme example are the PGA Tour Golf games: If you save after every shot and reload whenever you hit the rough or miss a putt the game is no longer interesting at all.

Having said that, if my victory already satisfies the requirements of this thread I wonít object if you check the game off.

However I definitely will continue to play Summer Challenge for some time and I wonít refrain from posting my results in this thread

I definitely respect that perspective, Seingalt!

For me, I think it's a bit like the difference between beating an arcade game by credit-feeding and beating the game on a 1CC. I consider them both beating the game, because the arcade designers had the option of limiting the number of continues, but didn't. However, you certainly haven't mastered an arcade game until you can pull off a 1CC.

For our purposes, a save-scummed victory is enough for sure to satisfy the requirements, and I'm very glad to count Summer Challenge. But please do post your "sportsmanlike" victory when it happens.

On the PAL front, I've just added Goati's victory over Brian Lara Cricket from earlier this year (which can be found as a VOD on his Twitch channel). I know Goati's been busy lately and am sure he'll come by eventually to announce the win himself, but I wanted to get it posted to make sure no one else starts working on BLC needlessly.

short update:
    I finished in first place at Summer Challenge winning 5 gold medals and 1 silver medal without save scumming (difficulty Professional). However Iím still not finished with the game and will now take on the world class level.

Additionally I made some progress with Spirou getting the only password after the 6th level (not after the 7th as I claimed earlier, I misremembered this).

I finished first against Summer Challenge's world class opponents with save scumming (all 8 gold medals, 24 points, see pic below) as well as without save scumming (4 gold medals, 12 points). In both cases I used a standard 3-button pad (i. e. no autofire). I think Iím now done with that game and with the ladies figure skating Grand Prix season starting later this month itís a good time to move on to Winter Challenge. Unfortunately I donít have the control card for that game. If someone here owns a complete copy of Winter Challenge and can provide a scan of the control card, that would be very helpful.

^Sweet! And I think I might have that control card -- I'll take a look soon.

Thread Information