Quantcast

Thread: Blaster Master 2

Default Blaster Master 2

The original Blaster Master was something of a NES favorite, and Genesis fans were understandably jubilant when the sequel was announced for their beloved console. Imagining Jason roaming with SOPHIA through beautiful 16-bit backdrops and fighting majestic bosses seemed like a dream come true. Much to everyone's dismay, the game failed to live up to its predecessor, and while not a bad game per se, it's definitely lacking. We've put Blaster Master 2 through its paces to see just how it stands next to Sunsoft's classic, so read our full review to see if it's worth your time.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-17-2011 at 10:28 PM.

I didn't see any mention of the graphics or sound in your review, so I'll add that missing part:

The graphics are surprisingly good overall. Nothing really to complain about visually. The sound, on the other hand, is gawdawful. The NES predecessor sounds about 40 to 60 times better both artistically and technically than Blaster Maser 2 on the Genesis. You can tell just by listening that this game wasn't done in Japan. This game will make you jealous of deaf people. There are very, very few people outside of Japan who should be allowed to touch the Genesis/Mega Drive sound hardware. I feel that if this game had been made by Sunsoft proper (say, the Genesis BATMAN team), all would have been OK. At least the music would have lived up to the first game, which was the 2nd game (after Space Harrier) that really made me pay attention to videogame music.

I hated how linear it was, which made the game essentially just a platformer like any other at the time. A shame Blaster Master never really turned into a successful franchise for Sunsoft. The PSX game was okay but hardly in the same fashion as the original.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

This game ever get any traction? No one ever talks about it...

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I played Blaster Master 2 for a little while some months back. It just seemed to completely miss out on that elusive fun factor, which the original had in spades despite its flaws.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    This game ever get any traction? No one ever talks about it...
    Nope, no traction lol. I grew up living on the NES title for my whole childhood, yet this sequel disappointed me, even back in the '90s when I rented it from the grocery store for four dollars or whatever.

The fact that this sequel is Genesis-exclusive almost sounds awesome, but more so, it seemed to imply that Nintendo passed it up for being so lackluster.

I've literally had dreams of a Blaster Master sequel that was completely better than this lol.

It seems to lack everything that made the original so special, with its awesome graphics, nonlinear gameplay with huge worlds to explore, fantastic music. BM2 misses the mark for everything. The absolute worst is the overhead stages, which were awesome on NES, but here, they feel like the tank is broken or something.

This is also one of those titles that I always WANT to like, but I never do. I'm still hopeful to find a love for BM2 but it's been 23 years and it still annoys me, so I won't hold my breath lol.

One more thing: I loved the original so much that I used to skip high school just to play Blaster Master LOL! I could play through the whole game like 3 or 4 times before the school day was over, and the funny thing was that I usually would drain all my lives on the last boss, so I was never satisfied lol.

Also the original came with a freakin' poster that I loved and hung on my wall, but I haven't found that poster since I was a kid.

I will have to pick this up at some point. I don't see it very often.

Hey guys. Update! I still haven't bought this! I totally forgot. Anyway, the soundtrack came up today. It's not bad! I still need to track this game down at some point...

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Prepare for immense disappointment. I can really only recommend the original, and Blaster Master Zero.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Hey guys. Update! I still haven't bought this! I totally forgot. Anyway, the soundtrack came up today. It's not bad! I still need to track this game down at some point...
    BM2 isn't all bad. some stages' graphics and music is good. however the 1st stage really sucks with its colors and music so it gives the game a horrible first impression imo

I remember the lava-themed stage looked pretty cool in BM2 with the whole stage pulsing warm colors

also the 2D boss fights are pretty fun imo.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

The game feels ultra-Euro, and like it was made after a drunk man vaguely described Blaster Master from an adjacent room.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Thread Information