Quantcast

Thread: Did You Know Gaming?: Dreamcast

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Dc Did You Know Gaming?: Dreamcast

Did just recently uploaded their DYKG on the Dreamcast and it's as informative as you'd expect from them

From all that was said, it felt as if SEGA was really trying to make the Dreamcast big but a lot of their decisions didn't go as planned.
    I respect the console and wish it had the chance of being THE console before the PS2 and it's DVD feature came down upon them.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Cool vid.

Sega didn't go all in with the Xbox. Sonic Team said they would focus on the Gamecube around the time the Dreamcast was dying.

IGNcube: We're disappointed that the Dreamcast will be discontinued. For Sega fans wondering what system to buy next, what would you recommend?
    YN: Well, I can't make a huge generalization for all Sega fans, but maybe if you're a Sonic Team fan, my recommendation is to buy a GameCube. That's a very difficult, but good question.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/05/...egas-yuji-naka

I wish Sega would have just picked one system and stuck to it. Either if that means Microsoft buying the company or some other managerial decision. The third party model doesn't really suit Sega since so much of the company's strengths was in outputting a great amount of varied games. You can't really do that when you're stuck having to develop those games across a handful of separate consoles. They just don't individually sell enough to take those risks which makes Sega such a great company.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

OK, is dreamcast collecting getting big? I wanted some sports games and racing games I missed to round out the collecting and I was seeing $5 to $10 for a title. Bear in mind I got the latest version of each sports game (NFL 2k2, NBA 2k2, etc). NBA 2K2 I couldn't find cheap on ebay. WTF?!

I bought a lot of DC stuff in 2008/2009 and a few things here and there since but wanted to round my US collection up, and now I think I own about half of the US library. But prices are nuts it seems.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David J. View Post
    OK, is dreamcast collecting getting big? I wanted some sports games and racing games I missed to round out the collecting and I was seeing $5 to $10 for a title. Bear in mind I got the latest version of each sports game (NFL 2k2, NBA 2k2, etc). NBA 2K2 I couldn't find cheap on ebay. WTF?!

I bought a lot of DC stuff in 2008/2009 and a few things here and there since but wanted to round my US collection up, and now I think I own about half of the US library. But prices are nuts it seems.
    unfortunately dreamcast stuff is raising in price now like games on all the other sega systems, it was pretty cheap to collect for 2 years ago though. i'm glad I bought my dreamcast games during 2001-2007 that was a great time period to get really cheap dreamcast stuff.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Kalinske came up with the PS1 specs ? This just keeps getting better and better.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Kalinske came up with the PS1 specs ? This just keeps getting better and better.
    NOOBS
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David J. View Post

It's getting bigger as there seems to be a solid interest in the system now in retro gaming circles. I've got a pretty solid collection myself but prices are getting worse every month.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Really enjoyed hearing the business side of the Sega and MS relationship. good stuff
    -Rick "Only fools oppose the almighty Megatron"

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...light=foxhound

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Cool vid.

Sega didn't go all in with the Xbox. Sonic Team said they would focus on the Gamecube around the time the Dreamcast was dying.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/05/...egas-yuji-naka
    Yeah, Sega (Sonic Team) released Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg on the Gamecube. There was also the exclusive Beach Spikers, though that wasn't all that great.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Sega told their various divisions that each one could choose which platform it wanted to support. Smilebit went to the Xbox, as the video said. Sonic Team went to the Gamecube. Overworks released on Gamecube and PS2. Other Sega studios released on PS2 (VF4, Space Channel 5, and such). Sega ended up releasing more Xbox exclusives than GC or PS2 ones, but all three got major exclusives.

A few years later, after the Sammy merger, Sega merged those separate teams back into one whole, and made more games multiplatform -- see how, for instance, Sonic Heroes is on all three systems, after Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Billy Hatcher, and Sonic Adventure DX had all been Gamecube-only, or that Outrun 2006 was on Xbox, PS2, and PSP (and PC), instead of Xbox only like Outrun 2. Sega released Xbox and PS2 ports of Super Monkey Ball, Virtua Quest was on GC and PS2 and not only PS2, etc.

Also, it's disappointing to see the video continue the old, bad rumor that the Sega Pluto is a 3DFX Dreamcast prototype. It, of course, is not. As we know, it's a Saturn + Netlink combo unit. (And last... the DC swirl is ORANGE, not red!)

Thanks for the input on prices. I thankfully grabbed everything I wanted in 2001-2009 for the most part and a few titles here and there since. For some reason or another, I wanted a few titles recently and prices are crazy. And these were sports and racing games! I got the latest versions - 2K2 over 2K1 and 2K and the prices were like $10-15 dollars! I wasn't looking for anything like Capcom titles where I own all of their US games except two - MvsC and SFA3. I went MAD crazy in 2007 to 2009 and bought around 80+ games.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

Wildside Expert

I hate it when the "collector's price" phenomenon hits a system.

Well I got lucky to clean shop up some years ago...now if I wanted a complete US set I just need mostly sports games/third party titles that got average to poor reviews. Tempted to do so.

Thread Information