Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTSC vs PAL on Game Gear?

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    As I understand it, the TV tuner can only pass along the video that it's given. Such a simple little device cannot, AFAIK, convert 576i/50Hz to 480i/60Hz. Also that would make the PAL version of the TV tuner a completely different device from the NTSC version, not a simple alteration. So, the Game Gear screen must be capable of handling both.

The way to test this would be to try both a PAL and NTSC composite device on the same TV tuner, and/or both a PAL and NTSC TV tuner with the same input device.
    More likely the screen accepts 50hz and 60hz. But not NTSC or PAL color encoding, no reason to without a composite input to receive them.

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Why did people put up with Pal? How did this become a thing? 25 frames a Second and then you get slower games with slower sound? How did this happen?
    It was developed because when color TV was introduced in the 1960s, the NTSC-standard had problems with transmitting colors in the correct hue, which often had to be adjusted manually. France ways pretty much the only European country not adopting PAL because PAL was developed by a German guy, and in the 1960s, a Frenchman would have rather died than inviting german technology into his home
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Champions of Europe (Master System)

Work in progress:
    Reviews:
    Aladdin (Master System)
    Speedball 2 (Master System)
    Features:
    Side-by-Side: Speedball 8bit ports (C64 vs. SMS vs. NES)

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Man am I glad to be NTSC. Very interesting thread btw. It is interesting how the game gear took a pal signal via the TV tuner aswell
    PAL does have a few benefits, such as more lines, but yeah it's pretty antiquated now.

Video Game Modder Road Rasher segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Yep, all Game Gears (and Game Boys) are 60Hz and 60Hz only.

SMS games don't run too fast on a Master Gear. They run at the correct speed (60Hz). They run too slow on a PAL Master System.
    afraid thats not true. The Game Gear support PAL if you modify a setting (theres a jumper). Its pin 119 that controls it IIRC.

-Segasonicfan

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    afraid thats not true. The Game Gear support PAL if you modify a setting (theres a jumper). Its pin 119 that controls it IIRC.

-Segasonicfan
    Doesn't that mean the TV tuner has no access to said jumper?

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

There's no NTSC or PAL for GG Games at all

It's a handheld, Not a TV Standerd

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    There's no NTSC or PAL for GG Games at all

It's a handheld, Not a TV Standerd
    The Game Gear's hardware is running games at 60fps, the same as NTSC SMS and not 50fps like PAL. The screen itself may have limitations, but the speed of the games and the sound is that of NTSC.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The Game Gear's hardware is running games at 60fps, the same as NTSC SMS and not 50fps like PAL. The screen itself may have limitations, but the speed of the games and the sound is that of NTSC.
    This takes me back to my earlier post.

I speculated the possibility Sega may have installed a 50hz compatible LCD in the Game Gear.
    Despite retail models never using the 50hz system mode, we can't rule it out.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    This takes me back to my earlier post.

I speculated the possibility Sega may have installed a 50hz compatible LCD in the Game Gear.
    Despite retail models never using the 50hz system mode, we can't rule it out.
    Well, PAL TV tuners were a thing, and by all appearances they were the same basic device as the NTSC version. If the screen was not 50hz compatible, the PAL TV tuners would have had to incorporate a converter, requiring a different design and greater expense. I think. I could be wrong.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Tuner controls the LCD directly, the whole game side is essentially switched off when tuner is used. 50/60 stuff is entirely up to the tuner to handle.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information