Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever go for a complete set?

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Default Anyone ever go for a complete set?

Just curious, I am about 104 titles away from a complete US DC collection. And I already have most of the expensive titles already.

Really tempted to do so. I am not going after or talking about variants such as the Sega All Stars or NFR editions (if they exist) but what was on the official Sega checklist put out some years ago. More or less I own all the rare/expensive/in demand games and all I have left is third party games, and only two may be crazy as they are Capcom titles (the first MVC and SFA 3) but everything else is a racing or sports game and/or third party generally under $10 a pop.

Good idea? Bad idea?
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I would love to own a 100% US Genesis collection. Some of the games are just way too expensive. I'm really happy with the ones I have now though.

I currently own 69, not counting 32x, sega cd, or duplicates.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I put "complete sets" on the same level as "sealed games"

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    I put "complete sets" on the same level as "sealed games"
    Same with me.

I mean, if I had more money than I could ever figure what to do with... I'd say why not? It'd be awesome to have a room with nothing but a complete set of stuff from one or more of my favorite systems.

But the reality is I'd only ever play like 10% of those games in many cases. I'd just have shelves full of games I would play once at most and probably never touch again.

The everdrive was a much better choice for that. I can test things out, and if I really liked it? I could track it down to buy it if I though it was worth the price.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I have, but it really depends on how much space/love you have for a console, and patience.

I'm going for a full DC set myself right now, but I need a lot more games than you. I'm at about 150 games right now but still missing a fair number of the higher value titles which is going to cost a lot so I put it off. I had a deal going with a member here for a lot of titles but I haven't heard from him for awhile. Plus, I've been playing a ton of JP Saturn stuff recently so I don't see the point in spending money on games I'm not going to play anytime soon.

I would honestly say do whatever you like, there is a bit of a rush of being able to say you have an entire US library for some titles. At least the Dreamcast is just CD cases so it is a lot more compact than like the Genesis or SegaCD/Saturn. If you do decide to go for it, I'd move fast as prices seem like they keep going up.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I'll be the Debbie Downer here and say that I would never own a game, let alone a couple hundred, that I didn't enjoy playing.

But to each their own, absolutely - Just saying if someone as a gift were to give me a game complete in the box with manual and inserts mint that was truly utter garbage, I couldn't genuinely throw it on my shelf and smile. In fact, it would probably irritate me more in knowing I own something I find to be rubbish.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I have, but it really depends on how much space/love you have for a console, and patience.

I'm going for a full DC set myself right now, but I need a lot more games than you. I'm at about 150 games right now but still missing a fair number of the higher value titles which is going to cost a lot so I put it off. I had a deal going with a member here for a lot of titles but I haven't heard from him for awhile. Plus, I've been playing a ton of JP Saturn stuff recently so I don't see the point in spending money on games I'm not going to play anytime soon.

I would honestly say do whatever you like, there is a bit of a rush of being able to say you have an entire US library for some titles. At least the Dreamcast is just CD cases so it is a lot more compact than like the Genesis or SegaCD/Saturn. If you do decide to go for it, I'd move fast as prices seem like they keep going up.
    The prices for some sports and racing games made me go WTF?!?!
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I'm on a boat!! Wildside Expert kenshin-dono's Avatar

man that would be sweet but i dont think that will ever happen. I actually have kinda fallen out of the retro game collection game the past several years. I dont know what the deal is but ebay prices and junk for a lot of genesis/snes/ps1/Saturn, ect games have really skyrocketed in the past several years. I remember there were a couple games i didn't get when i took a break from buying them because i thought they were a bit high at about 50 bucks.. now theyre over $100 easy.

Unless prices come down or i find better places to get the games I dont think im going to be expanding my collection any time soon. Where do you guys get most of your stuff these days?

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    I'll be the Debbie Downer here and say that I would never own a game, let alone a couple hundred, that I didn't enjoy playing.

But to each their own, absolutely - Just saying if someone as a gift were to give me a game complete in the box with manual and inserts mint that was truly utter garbage, I couldn't genuinely throw it on my shelf and smile. In fact, it would probably irritate me more in knowing I own something I find to be rubbish.
    I agree with this. I just bought some still sealed PS2 games recently for dirt cheap and opened those motherfuckers without any hesitation. It wasn't anything like Rule of Rose or whatnot, just some fairly common games, but I don't collect decorations of that sort. I was tempted to get a complete Japanese Saturn set but there is so much spam in the Japanese Saturn's library that some of the worst titles it has make even the worst US/EU exclusives look like Panzer Dragoon Saga in comparison. I'd rather just keep or get games I know I will enjoy. I mostly gave up collecting just for the thrill of having many years ago, unless I needed to keep it around for reference or if I like a certain series enough to tolerate a few turds for completeness sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post

I agree mostly however there are some Terrible Neo Geo AES games and I'll pick them up if they are complete. Soccer Brawl and Football Frenzy are dog shit but I'll put them on the shelf and play them once a year just to see if they work. Genesis games too only if complete and in great condition just to read the Sega 90's swag inside. Otherwise I play every game I bought.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Having bad games in a collection is not what I'm about, since I feel like it devalues the better ones just by sharing shelf space with them.

And since there's bad/dire stuff in every console library, I won't be going for a full collection for anything anytime soon.

Wildside Expert

I buy games to play, not collect, so I say only buy the games that you think you would actually like.

When i tried to get a complete set (Sega CD) I got into too much and became uninterested as the task takes a lot money and space. I figured why try to get all for one system when I can have many small bunches of games across all systems. I collect the games i want to play and keep the respected system.
    -Rick "Only fools oppose the almighty Megatron"

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...light=foxhound

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I'd rather just own games that I intend to play and get some enjoyment out of.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Thread Information