Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32X screen interference over RGB

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Default 32X screen interference over RGB

I picked up a Japanese Super 32X recently to couple with my MD1 and MCD2.

I always had a flawless, noiseless picture running a boosted sync cable from the MD into a scart to component convertor, however now I've introduced the 32X into the mix I'm getting annoying interference on screen (no jailbars or anything, just screen noise). This interference is present on 32X games as well as regular MD/MCD.

Different cables, both scart and the mixing cable used between the MD and 32X don't make a difference, so I'm ruling that out.

Removing the shielding inside the 32X reduces that audible hum you get from the machine (I thought that may have been the cause), but the interference remains.

The other thing that came to mind was the metal clips for the cart slot, which I did not get with the 32X since most people have said they seemed to be unnecessary. Could their absence cause this, even though the shielding present inside the machine seems not to, or is it something else entirely?

It just sucks that to play the few 32X games I have, the rest of my stuff has to look worse than before since it's a pain in the arse to keep installing/uninstalling the add-on every time.

Anyone got some advice/tips?

Hero of Algol

I have the very same problem.

Hmm, there may well not be a fix then, since I'm sure you've probably already looked into this.

I've googled the issue and had a look around of course, Assembler was down yesterday so I couldn't browse there, but I couldn't find anything on SEGA 16 at any rate (or anywhere else for that matter).

Knowing the cause would be a good start.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Hmm, there may well not be a fix then, since I'm sure you've probably already looked into this.
    Actually, no, ahahaha.
    All that I know is that white seems to be the color to cause most interference in this issue we have.
    IMO it's probably our "cheapo" (yes, they're expensive but still low quality) SCART to component boxes causing the problem.

The likes of Ace and other modders might know the answer, but I think the video signal output of the 32X might have a different "strength" when compared to the MD's one. I guess the signal is saturating/overpowering the SCART to component box circuit and it's causing the "interference".
    Another evidence to believe that the problem is originated on the SCART box is that I have a clean picture when using the composite cable out of the 32X.

I've googled the issue and had a look around of course, Assembler was down yesterday so I couldn't browse there, but I couldn't find anything on SEGA 16 at any rate (or anywhere else for that matter).

Knowing the cause would be a good start.
    IDK if the US 32X has the same issue. The JP 32X was made in Japan while the US ones were made in Taiwan AFAIK, so they may be using different components inside IDK. If that's the case, if the US units don't have this issue, we're toasted because nobody else has a JP 32x besides you and me, ahahahah.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-26-2015 at 02:25 AM.

Well, the interference is present at all times, but yes, light background colours like those in Space Harrier for example make it much more visible.

Interesting you think it could be related to the SCART to component convertors being used, it's a good theory IMO. If there's someone here using a US 32X with a similar box and they don't have the issue, then it would easier and probably cheaper to just import a US machine. If that was the case anyway.

Hero of Algol

I think some simple and inexpensive resistors will reduce the amperage and give us an answer about my theory.
    I hadn't tried to fix it yet because I thought it could be something happening to me only but looks like we have the very same issue.

I'm suffering with a conjunctivitis in these last days, but I'll do some tests as soon as I get recovered.

Get well dude. We'll talk about this later.

Since no one else has posted in this thread, it could either mean that A) there is no such problem with American 32Xs running Scart to component via a box, B) people are using RF, composite or S-Video, or C) they don't care and it doesn't worry them.

Given how pedantic a lot of people on this forum are about getting a decent picture (myself included), I have trouble believing absolutely everybody would fall into categories B) and C).

Can anyone with a US 32X running scart to component chime in with their experiences before I start throwing money at trying for a fix?

Hero of Algol

Given how pedantic a lot of people on this forum are about getting a decent picture (myself included), I have trouble believing absolutely everybody would fall into categories B) and C).
    A lot of these keyboard warriors barely play any MD/MCD/32X game once in a while... On emulators.

I'd believe that, but I know there's peeps here running real hardware (and actually use it).

let's see if they can tear themselves away from Knuckles Chaotix for five seconds to post their experiences

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Since no one else has posted in this thread, it could either mean that A) there is no such problem with American 32Xs running Scart to component via a box, B) people are using RF, composite or S-Video, or C) they don't care and it doesn't worry them.

Can anyone with a US 32X running scart to component chime in with their experiences before I start throwing money at trying for a fix?
    I've been running US 32x's for years in RGB with a variety of equipement, including Atlona RGB to Component Transcoders, the XRGB Mini Framemeister, and a PVM. No issues with RGB, it's perfectly clean. I've only really had interference issues with RF.

If I were to take a wild stab I'd check your power supplies. Make sure they are all good, and if possible plugged up to the same source to prevent grounding issues. Most of the time when I've had mild video interference it was a bad PSU causing it for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

My US 32X has been boxed up for a couple of years, but I don't remember it adding any noise in my SCART/component setup. I think I was mostly running it through my CDX, however, which already has some noise in the video.

Personally, I don't think it's really worth leaving my 32X hooked up all the time for the two whole games I occasionally play on it at the detriment of Master System games and full use of my Mega Everdrive.

Thanks for the answers, guys. Yeah my power is defo plugged to the same source, although I am using a step down transformer in the case of the 32X whereas the MD/MCD have replacement 240v power supplies.

Why do I get the feeling this is related to the 'hum' or 'whistle' I mentioned in the OP? Taking the internal shielding away reduced it to the point where it became almost unnoticeable, but it's still there, seemingly just not amplified by the hunk of metal I removed from the 32X. So could still be causing the issue if it indeed was the cause.

I seem to remember one thread where someone mentioned the whistle as being an inductor vibrating or some such thing, I'm gonna have a look for it.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I've been running US 32x's for years in RGB with a variety of equipement, including Atlona RGB to Component Transcoders, the XRGB Mini Framemeister, and a PVM. No issues with RGB, it's perfectly clean. I've only really had interference issues with RF.

If I were to take a wild stab I'd check your power supplies. Make sure they are all good, and if possible plugged up to the same source to prevent grounding issues. Most of the time when I've had mild video interference it was a bad PSU causing it for some reason.
    I finally eliminated the problem with my 32X (via my CDX) interference/noise issue to the power supply as well.
    This is the culprit: https://en.retrogamesupply.com/colle...i-mega-cdx-32x

I had started using that PSU a little over a year ago. It had worked fine until the other day when I decided to once again fire up the old CDX/32X combo. I noticed right away video signal noise in the image of 32X games and also of regular Genesis carts via the 32X. That issue was not there when I had previously (a couple months ago) used this same setup.

Too late now for a return, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

lol, yeah those power supplies are garbage. Unfortunately, the retro craze has given rise to cheapo aftermarket power supplies taking over when people want to save a few bucks. Look for reviews and teardowns when you're buying a power supply, or at least some detailed specs.

It's an unfortunate reality that people are being duped by poor quality craftsmanship in aftermarket retro gaming products. There's a race to the bottom in price, which results in massive overseas sweatshop labor to reduce costs to bare minimum and cheapo power supplies and hacks that fail outside of warranty a couple of years down the road ( and sometimes fry the system with them)...

In my recent research, I found the 32x has a very noisy video output ( depending slightly on board revision). This is due to the fact that the 32X use a DC-DC converter based around he ancient MC34063 without much care put into the regulation and feedback resistor stage. In addition to that, it's obviously struggling with power requirements and was only included because of the supply wattage of the original Gen2 PSU. I'm sure the engineers wanted to put a 7805 inside, but had to settle for this solution to save costs. The result is a poorly regulated system, which is too bad since the video encoder is top-notch.
    I plan to make a video covering this soon, if anyone's interested.

Thread Information