Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio Shack is at the end of the road

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Default Radio Shack is at the end of the road

i would go in from time to time, usually for stuff not really available at bestbuy or target, like certain types of batteries or led stuff. its over priced and they devote too much floor space to crappy phone and rc truck stuff. its a shame, when it was more focused on the electronic components it was a better store, but not profitable :/

Here in Canada the franchise has been but a shadow of itself for years. It is amazing it is still there. It has become the crap store nobody goes to.

I saw this just before coming home from work today. My local Radio Shack seemed to be sucking more than usual these last few months. I guess this explains it. I remember as a kid our families first two computers came from Radio Shack. I remember buying components from there all the time before shopping online became so common place. Then the Cell phone dark ages came. It seemed like the Shack was going to make a comeback a few years ago with all the arduino stuff. It never seemed to happen though.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

One of the last great 80's stores....goodbye old friend.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I loved going to RS as a kid, looking at all the electronic stuff I didn't understand. I still go to the one in the mall every time I'm there and buy stuff regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

RadioShack was amazing in the 80's and 90's, but the march of advancing technology has not been kind to it.

I've got a lot of good memories associated with the chain, but its time has passed.

I've never understood how they made it this far. As Obviously stated, it's time has passed. As a matter of fact, it passed quite a while ago.
    "If you thought 16-bit was dead, think again."

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I heard about the news earlier in the say. How sad. I enjoyed going to Radioshack back in the 80s and early 90s. Circuit City bough the RadioShack locations in Canada in 2004, rebranding them as The Source. In 2009, Circuit City’s U.S. parent company filed for bankruptcy protection. BCE Inc. bought the stores, rebranding them once again as The Source. They have managed to succeed simply because they sell items that big retail chains have not. Because of this, their revenue has increased year after year and the retail chain has grown across Canada.

RadioShack may have turned things around had they followed The Source's playbook.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I was reading about this earlier today. Haven't been in a RadioShack for years, use to go all the time when I was younger but than there customer service went down the drain and I just started going less often.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Prices became freaking ridiculous. I remember paying $8-$10 for a stereo RCA cable. WTF? The same price for a RCA y-splitter too. WTF? And this was in 2005!!!
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Quote Originally Posted by David J. View Post
    Prices became freaking ridiculous. I remember paying $8-$10 for a stereo RCA cable. WTF? The same price for a RCA y-splitter too. WTF? And this was in 2005!!!
    very true. their prices on some things was good, but if you wanted anything you could get at walmart or bestbuy you were paying at least a few bucks more, for the RS brand no less!

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

They definitely stopped doing what they were good at. Granted they have the internet to compete against but they give me no reason to go. We have an awesome store here ,Elliot Electronic Supply that I will go to if I need anything. Sales tax is less than shipping and they have old goofy guys who know their stuff. Oddly it looks like they sell online as well.. http://www.elliottelectronicsupply.c...tronic-supply/

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

I can't believe they've been around as long as they have.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    I was reading about this earlier today. Haven't been in a RadioShack for years, use to go all the time when I was younger but than there customer service went down the drain and I just started going less often.
    ^This.

I gave up on RadioShack years ago.

Thread Information