Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defenders of Oasis !!

Road Rasher

Well yeah, of course the MD was enough, but Christ knows the MCD needed it more! That and they would not have been restricted to 24-MBIT, could have far better music and of course, voices and cinemas.

The MCD had a ton of RPGs:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...cd-rpg-library

It's just that very few were localized and most are of questionable quality.

Road Rasher

Sega CD

I have owned just a bout a full set of JP MCD games since 1996, it's been complete since 2002. I have played them all and most are complete shite. Ironic considering the MCD holds ownership of 2 of my 3 equal favourite No.1 games of all time. That awesome avatar of yours would be my favourite MD game of all time

I was mainly referring to SEGA though. 3X3 EYES is one of THE highest quality 16-BIT RPGs SEGA made, I wish so badly that they continued that, but other than Popful Mail, they did not. Even After Armageddon Gaiden is not that great to me. The graphics are nowhere near as nice as say PSIV or Surging Aura which of course used the PSIV engine. The quality of Victor's Daihou Shinden and Compile's Shadowrun graphics are the quality SEGA SHOULD have aimed for on that system. Lodoss tou Senki and Arslan Senki are so poor looking, I do not even want to go there.

I think that one of the problems with the MCD's RPG library is that the majority was made by Wolf Team/RIOT/Telenet. I loved ARCUS I II III (despite not being a fan of 3D dungeon RPGs), Cosmic Fantasy Stories (I was gutted when I got it in 1995 and it would not work with my Datel CD-X Had to buy a new CD-X with a newer firmware and it worked!) and Fhey Aeria. RIOT's Mahou Shoujo Silky Lip and A Rank Thunder were pretty awesome too, but I do not class those as RPGs. They are more like Adventure games. The others were pretty low quality, Aisle Lord... UGH! The cover made it look awesome thanks only to the beautiful paintings of my very favourite character designer; Mikimoto Haruhiko. The game inside was crap! I will never, ever understand how the people that made trash like Aisle Lord, Earnest Evans and Devastator (although I DO have a soft spot for the last two and Wolf Team's SEGA games), made EX-RANZA on the MD and Tales of Phantasia on the SFC!!

I do need to go and play Illusion City one day. It was another I got back in 1996, but I never had any clue as to what I was supposed to do. Now that I read Japanese, I STILL had no idea what to do! The graphics were quite poor quality to me and it looked more like a poor SMS game than a MCD game should. I appreciate it a little more these days after seeing the X68000 version it was based on, but unlike the X68000 version, the MCD game has horrible, choppy scrolling and some other problems. I wish Microcabin had made more than one game for the system (like so many others!), they did good work on the PCE. Fray is one I also wish had been on the MCD instead of the 'Gear. I love the PCE game. I may be forgetting some other good RPGs on the system, I hope not. I always wished that those 3D dungeon RPGs had been "normal" RPGs. Much like SEGA's plethora of Strategy RPGs on the Saturn. I am just not a fan of them, other than Shinning Force, Front Mission of Quest's Ogre series.

SEGA's offerings for the MCD were overall, rubbish. It gave us some classics such as Popful Mail, 3X3 EYES, SFCD, FFCD, SWITCH and of course, SONIC CD, but there should have been so, so , soooooo many more on that list. If it was not for Game Arts, Victor, CORE Design and the aforementioned Telenet games, the system would

EDIT: Silly me! How could I forget a "classic" like SEGA's Woodstock: Funky Horror Band! The game that looked like a shitty version of Golden Axe Warrior on the SMS! Way to launch a system you were charging the same price as the NEO-GEO AES, SEGA! I am and will always be bitter for the way the MCD was handled.
    Last edited by SegaSonic91; 04-19-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Road Rasher

Hey, I like Lodoss tou Senki! The graphics might be shoddy but the game plays pretty well. The presentation is solid too with cinematics lifted from the OVA and a nice orchestral soundtrack.

Thread Information