Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fight CD Difficulty

Default Final Fight CD Difficulty

This game is absolutely giving me fits. I've beaten some of the hardest console games ever including Battletoads and Mission: Impossible on the NES, but for whatever reason Final Fight is giving me nightmares.

Is this game as difficult as I think it is - as in, it it one of the hardest console games ever to beat, or do I maybe just suck at it?

So far I've managed to get to the final boss ONCE. And that is after at least 50+ attempts (standard difficulty settings).

Also, one other question - does the enemy aggressiveness vary from playthrough to playthrough? Sometimes the enemies seem rather passive, and other times it seems like the same enemies are balls-to-the-wall aggressive in coming after and attacking you.

i think the only part that gets difficult is that long stretch of level 5. it seems to take forever to reach the last boss.

havent noticed a change in enemy pattern, might take a look!

The stage I seem to struggle with most is actually level 2. I almost always lose 2 lives in that level.

Andore is who I never know if he's going to charge you or not. Sometimes he doesn't charge much at all, other times he seems to charge you every chance he gets.

It's a difficult game but it's not that hard. I've beaten it once or twice and it doesn't seem to be nearly as hard or cheap as the SNES version. There are a lot of hidden health items in the last stage before the battle with Belger hidden behind the beams, it definitely helps out. You also have to get good at crowd control as well.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

It's tough because there's no dash uppercut to spam like in Streets of Rage 2.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmwsvsu View Post
    This game is absolutely giving me fits. I've beaten some of the hardest console games ever including Battletoads and Mission: Impossible on the NES, but for whatever reason Final Fight is giving me nightmares.

Is this game as difficult as I think it is - as in, it it one of the hardest console games ever to beat, or do I maybe just suck at it?

So far I've managed to get to the final boss ONCE. And that is after at least 50+ attempts (standard difficulty settings).

Also, one other question - does the enemy aggressiveness vary from playthrough to playthrough? Sometimes the enemies seem rather passive, and other times it seems like the same enemies are balls-to-the-wall aggressive in coming after and attacking you.
    I've heard that some of the Capcom games, (as in the arcade versions), decide to let the enemy rank go manic on random credits. I'm not sure if this translates to the reprogrammed SEGA versions for MD/Genesis/CD though. Still food for thought. At any rate, I've seen arcade FF ranked at the top of the difficulty pile when it comes to Capcom beat 'em ups.

What character are you using? There are exploits in this game to even the odds - I know the turn-around punch from the arcade works at least.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

In my opinion Final Fight CD is one of the toughest beat-em-ups I've ever played and in that regard is probably next to Streets of Rage 3 for difficulty. I've used every character in my attempts to rid the streets of Metro City from scum and still consider it a big success if I even make it to level 5! If there are special tactics to employ when dealing with the various enemies I haven't found them with the exception of a few basic ones and I definitely agree that the AI does seem to suddenly get more aggressive in it's attacks at random moments.

Nameless One

I can lose lots of lives at the fire on the ground stage. I don't know exactly where to stand, and when I find a safe place, I can't manage to position the fighter. Sometimes game is over for me at that point.

I always start the game with Cody and depending on when I have to use my first continue, I use Guy in the middle levels and then go back to Cody towards the end. Guy's speed is especially helpful in a few select areas.

I know there are exploits just from watching youtube videos, but I'm trying to beat the game without using those.

I did manage to make it to the final boss again, this time with a full continue left. Got him down to his final life bar, so I know I'm getting close to being able to beat this.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I haven't played it in quite a while, but I remember that it is difficult for a beat 'em up. I beat it with a friend back in the 90s on co-op, but I've never beaten it one player. I should pull it out this weekend and give it a whirl. I can tell you guys that the game is definitely easier with an arcade stick. When things get chaotic, I find that it's easier to move quickly with precision using the stick rather than mushing the d-pad.

I can only really get any distance using spinning pile drive with Hagar as it has an impact when landing on other baddies.

I just grabbed a copy of Final Fight CD and the furthest that I've been able to get after three honest plays is Belger the final boss... on easy, max lives and credits.

Definitely a difficult game, but not impossible - compared to Streets of Rage 2 it's the limitations of moves and attacks that makes me feel like all I do is spam punch combo or jump kick; and with some of the bosses this becomes tiring. With that said, I wish some of the bosses were calibrated more appropriately - maybe it's me but Abigail and Rolento can be aggravating as hell as they seem one-dimensional and overpowered; becomes almost a test of endurance.

I really enjoy Final Fight CD, the music is absolutely slamming and the influence of The Warriors and Streets of Fire is neat. Feels very faithful to the arcade - tough-as-nails difficulty included!

I swear I'll get to this ending, it sounds so bad ass just walking away from the girl you busted up the entire city to save, and then just walking off to find the next fight - so awesome! Good endings like this are so worth the intense challenge!
    Last edited by Lync; 03-22-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Played it the other day with my partner and it kicked our arses yet again. Personally the things that always cost me the most lives when playing it is the not knowing when the big wrestler thugs are going to charge you or not and not knowing where the hell to stand in order to avoid the fire-trap flooring at the start of level 4. I love it though and will finish it one day I'm sure.

Nameless One

You are safe from the fire trap (the one where the screen stops scrolling and you have to fight a groups of enemies) if you go to the top of the area and tap down twice. Tap fast, like performing a dash or run manouver in other games. The flames will not connect if you only move right and left.

As for the big wrestlers (Andore), it's best to knock them down and stand right over them when the stand up to quickly grab them again. Especially the pink ones have a tendency to run in with that almost unstoppable punch.

Clearing Final Fight (CD and Arcade alike, although I find the CD version harder due to slower player attacks and being unable to run past large groups of enemies as the stages have more stop & go sections) depends a lot on secret and non obvious techniques. The game is designed that you basically need to memorize it all and use every exploit you find.

If you need some specific stuff, feel free to ask.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

The Sega CD version is a cakewalk compared to the original arcade PCB. I like playing the CD version because it's actually possible to beat it by a normal human, although my skills have deteriorated and I can't quite do it at default settings anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Thread Information