Quantcast

Thread: Double Take: Shinobi III-Return of the Ninja Master

Ninja Double Take: Shinobi III-Return of the Ninja Master

The Shinobi series on the Genesis is widely regarded as some of the best action titles ever made, and they definitely stand the test of time. Joe Musashi's third outing is a fan favorite, with its stunning graphics and intense action, and it's definitely one 16-bit title worth taking another look at. Read the article to find out more!

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Really smooth game-play.
    Can't really go wrong with a ninja riding a horse and going surfing!

Not too sure about that analogy in the article though. "Itís almost like sex without the fluid exchange."
    So the game feels almost like safe sex?
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans.

Shinobi III feels like a perfect synthesis of the console focused Revenge of the Shinobi and arcade style Shadow Dancer.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Great article, I enjoyed the read. Shinobi III is basically a perfect game. The controls feel fluid and responsive, and the graphics are just gorgeous. Sega really outdid themselves with that one. All of that said, I still prefer Revenge. It's just got more character in my opinion. Plus, I dig the darker aesthetics and kick a$$ soundtrack.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Shinobi III/The Super Shinobi II is one of the greatest games of the era. It's hard for me to find much else to say about it. Sega didn't knock it out of the park with this one, they knocked it out of the galaxy.

To be considered by many to possibly be the best game in a series as great as Shinobi speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    All of that said, I still prefer Revenge. It's just got more character in my opinion. Plus, I dig the darker aesthetics and kick a$$ soundtrack.
    Yeah, as much as I think Shinobi III's Joe beats the pants off of his Revenge of Shinobi incarnation, I think the level design and pacing are in general a bit better in Revenge. It has better boss fights than Shinobi III, too, even when you take away the copyright infringement. I find that once I fight that giant boss in the Shinobi III lab, everything afterward feels a bit small, including the ho-hum final boss.

Melf this is not my article. you have to change the author's name to whoever wrote this.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Yeah, as much as I think Shinobi III's Joe beats the pants off of his Revenge of Shinobi incarnation, I think the level design and pacing are in general a bit better in Revenge. It has better boss fights than Shinobi III, too, even when you take away the copyright infringement. I find that once I fight that giant boss in the Shinobi III lab, everything afterward feels a bit small, including the ho-hum final boss.
    That's it! I really didn't give it much thought as to why I like Revenge of Shinobi more compared to III. I always figured it was due to nostalgia. But no! It isn't! It's the damn level design and pacing! Revenge of Shinobi may not be as colorful but it excels in both these aspects. The music also creates a nice atmosphere in each level.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I don't know, I absolutely love Shinobi III's level design. Loads of action and variety. It never lets up and I never find myself bored.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I don't know, I absolutely love Shinobi III's level design. Loads of action and variety. It never lets up and I never find myself bored.
    I get the feeling that the level design never quite takes full advantage of the moveset. I also wish the difficulty settings actually adjusted the difficulty rather than just giving you less health bar to work with.

I enjoyed the Double Take, might have to look at doing one myself at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I get the feeling that the level design never quite takes full advantage of the moveset.
    Yep. It's not that Shinobi III's levels are "bad," but they're much more one-dimensional than Revenge of Shinobi. With just a couple of exceptions, you're on a fixed horizontal or vertical scrolling field. Revenge's levels are more spread out and multi-directional. The locales in Revenge of Shinobi offer a bit more variety, too, including Chinatown, the junkyard, the train, and the final maze. The bulk of Shinobi III is stuck in a cave or tech-themed environment. Yeah, the horse and jet ski levels are neat, but they feel more like bonus levels, fun but not as interesting as the main game.

I still prefer Shinobi III because Joe moves like a slug in his first Genesis outing, but I wish there was a bit more substance to the level design. It gets a bit repetitive in the second half for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Yep. It's not that Shinobi III's levels are "bad," but they're much more one-dimensional than Revenge of Shinobi. With just a couple of exceptions, you're on a fixed horizontal or vertical scrolling field. Revenge's levels are more spread out and multi-directional. The locales in Revenge of Shinobi offer a bit more variety, too, including Chinatown, the junkyard, the train, and the final maze. The bulk of Shinobi III is stuck in a cave or tech-themed environment. Yeah, the horse and jet ski levels are neat, but they feel more like bonus levels, fun but not as interesting as the main game.

I still prefer Shinobi III because Joe moves like a slug in his first Genesis outing, but I wish there was a bit more substance to the level design. It gets a bit repetitive in the second half for me.
    100% agree.

The game just feels off. I'm fairly proficient at it, but can't get into a groove to complete it. RoS, while slower, feels better and it has everything to do with what you said!

I recently got a JVC X'Eye and hooked the audio cables up to a high end stereo system to play this yesterday. It's amazing how good the soundtrack is to this game if you have a true stereo setup, the explosions sound deep and full, the drums in the music are crystal clear. So many great tracks too, I would have to say Shinobi III has the better soundtrack over Revenge.

Shinobi III is the best game on the Genesis imo.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Thread Information