Quantcast

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Best PSX racing games

Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    You can't say I haven't given the Playstation a chance, though. I own 266 PS1 games, and I have at least tried all of them. No, I don't have Gran Turismo 1 or 2 or any other simmish racing games (unless you count R4, that I do have), but I don't really want them. Generally the more interesting PS1 games are often some of the more obscure ones, while a lot of the more hyped games (some of the big RPGs aside) aren't that interesting to me... I mean, I like Red Asphalt and (outside of racing games) Galeoz! I'd never have known what those games were if I didn't get a lot of PS1 games.

I'm not saying you didn't give the Playstation a chance what I'm saying is, if you're going to say that the PS1's racing selection isn't all that great then say it's not all that great, to you. If you need to post a step by step explanation as to why you said what you said, then the point is lost from the start.

Look ABF, It's obvious you're very passionate about the systems you like and that's something I'm perfectly fine with but I don't need a full dissertation explaining your viewpoint about it. I own a lot of PS1 games myself along with Gamecube, N64s, Genesis and other games that I've played a lot. You like what you like and I respect that. I think you'd get a lot more respect also from other folks like Gamevet if you'd only relax a little bit with how you post.

It's like you're itching for a fight when there doesn't need to be one.

I don't dislike your posts most of the time just you really give me a headache when you get into arguments with people like Trekkies. I'd rather you post more stuff about the things you like without saying pointless things like "The PS1s racing games arn't all that great".
    05/05/15

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'm not saying you didn't give the Playstation a chance what I'm saying is, if you're going to say that the PS1's racing selection isn't all that great then say it's not all that great, to you. If you need to post a step by step explanation as to why you said what you said, then the point is lost from the start.
    It is important to read something before replying to it. While there are some things I dislike about NeoGAF's very strict rules, one thing I do like is that they banned "tl;dr" -- that is, saying that a post was too long so you didn't bother to read it isn't allowed. Either read and reply, or don't reply. Nobody is going to read every post on a forum, only read things that interest you...

I own a lot of PS1 games myself along with Gamecube, N64s, Genesis and other games that I've played a lot. You like what you like and I respect that. I think you'd get a lot more respect also from other folks like Gamevet if you'd only relax a little bit with how you post.

It's like you're itching for a fight when there doesn't need to be one.
    I am quite relaxed most all of the time, actually. I like, and want, a reasonable debate; I like debate and discussion. It's sad that so often things devolve into stupid arguments and insults, I don't like that stuff at ALL.

On this subject, of course as I often say fact and opinion are different things and people shouldn't mix them together as often as they do, but that's why I covered that issue in my post, to make it clear.

I don't dislike your posts most of the time just you really give me a headache when you get into arguments with people like Trekkies. I'd rather you post more stuff about the things you like without saying pointless things like "The PS1s racing games arn't all that great".
    Sorry, but criticism is just as valid as praise, both are important. Stating an opinion is rarely pointless. But anyway, on 5th-gen racing games, I'm sure that many N64 fans would agree with me on that. There just aren't many of them on this forum. I'm not sure why so many people on this Sega forum like the Playstation (including you, apparently), but whatever... (N64 > Saturn > PS1!)

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I played the PC version of Motoracer 1, being a computer tech at the time I got to demo it on PC builds. But the 3DFX card was expensive. I didn't have one back then, and not people I knew could afford it either, so the PSX version it was.
    I didn't have a 3DFX card yet when the first game came out, but I did before the second games' release in 1999.

Having played both, I can say the PSX version runs at a very high frame rate (probably 60fps) and the controls are excellent. The PSX was a better pad for gaming than anything on the PC when MotoRacer came out.
    The PS1 versions do seem fairly smooth, but the PC version can play at way over 60fps on modern hardware, you know... and as for controls, there are a lot of controllers for the PC, many very good! Of course I don't like the design of the Playstation controller, Dual Shock or no, from its super-loose analog sticks to its uncomfortable missing-center d-pad, but regardless, there were and are PC gamepads for all kinds back then -- Playstation-style controllers, Saturn-style controllers, unique designs, etc. Or you could get a racing wheel, motion controller like the Microsoft Sidewinder handlebar gamepad with tilt control, joystick, or what have you. I'm sure the PS1 versions of the Moto Racer games control fine, but there are more control options on a PC.

I played the game on all difficulties and unlocked everything in the PSX one. I also played it two play on a big screen TV versus some small PC monitor. Kicking back on the couch with a friend, playing this game on a big screen - made it the better option than the PC one IMO. The racing is fast, so the PSX lesser graphics aren't as noticeable. I played the second one.. it just didn't have the same fun factor. To this day, I have no problem picking up the game and playing it - crappy PSX graphics and all. And I can't say that about many 3D games from that era (PSX, Saturn, N64, etc).
    I've never agreed with that 'comfy couch' argument, games are just as good or better on PC as they are on consoles. There are ways of displaying PC games on a TV too, with the right hardware (though I have never done this myself). But that said, either way, here the difference between versions is huge, graphically.

Moto Racer 2, Playstation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWB6zbYy0Fc

MR2, PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3QIobXfWgM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5E3VMMni7s (note that on a real PC it will look better than this -- videos aren't as high a framerate or, usually, resolution as the game runs at.)

Choosing to play the PS1 version over the PC version would be like preferring to play some multiplatform game on the PS1 over the Dreamcast or PS2 for no good reason... except worse, because the DC can't do resolutions or framerates anywhere near what MR1 and MR2 will play at on modern computers! I mean, if someone can't play PC games then the PS1 versions are the only choice by default (and definitely play them!), but for anyone who can, get them on PC. Both games are available on www.gog.com, so you don't need to hunt down original disc copies like the ones I have. And of course on PS1 you're stuck with 8 bikes per race only, while on PC you can double that if you want. One of the things that makes the Moto Racer games what they are are the impressive graphics for the time, though, and you lose that on Playstation.

As for MR1 vs. MR2, the first game is a really solid foundation for a great game, but it's so short and limited in content that it doesn't last. The game has eight tracks, but it doesn't take long to master even for me; I beat the game in a few hours. Compared to the sequel it feels sort of like a tech demo -- the second game takes its base, but improves on it. MR2 has way more tracks and circuits, a nice and easy-to-use track editor for endless possibilities, better graphics, 4-player splitscreen and 16-bike races (both on PC only), and more. Apart from some of the track settings, such as the games' iconic Great Wall track, I can't really think of anything I prefer from the first game over the second. MR1 is a great game and I like it a lot... but MR2 is the same thing but better and with a lot more to do. I'm wondering, do you know why you find the second game less fun? The gameplay, controls, design styles, they are all so similar between the games...

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I am curious, is Ridge Racer 64 comparable to any of the Ridge Racers on the PS2 DVR? it must be crappy if ABF isn't bringing it up in a counter argument
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider View Post
    I am curious, is Ridge Racer 64 comparable to any of the Ridge Racers on the PS2 DVR? it must be crappy if ABF isn't bringing it up in a counter argument
    Answering that question is like opening Pandora's box. ABF will find a way to beat you down with long diatribes on why you are wrong. I didn't get much joy out of the title, but I didn't like the original Ridge Racer either. It wasn't until R4 that I started liking the franchise.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Why is there no Ridge Racer on the PS4?

it sucks that all the franchises we grew up on, are either dead, or no where as good (Mario).
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hero of Algol

Well, this is how I see it in terms of what is actually good/worth playing in the PS1's and N64's racing libraries:

Sub-Genre Playstation Nintendo 64
    4X4
    1. 4X4 World Trophy
    2. Hardcore 4x4
    Aircraft
    1. Air Race Championship
    2. N.Gen Racing
    Boat
    1. Choro Q Marine: Q-Boat
    2. Dead in the Water
    3. Hydro Thunder
    4. Rapid Racer
    1. Hydro Thunder
    Combat
    1. BattleTanx: Global Assault
    2. Cyber Sled
    3. Pop'n Tanks!
    4. Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
    5. Twisted Metal 2
    6. Vigilante 8
    7. Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
    2. Vigilante 8
    3. Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
    Demolition
    1. Demolition Racer
    2. Destruction Derby 2
    3. Destruction Derby Raw
    1. Destruction Derby 64
    Formula 1
    1. Formula 1 Championship Edition
    2. Formula One 2001
    1. F-1 World Grand Prix II
    Futuristic
    1. Firebugs
    2. Red Asphalt
    3. Rollcage Stage II
    4. Streak: Hoverboard Racing
    5. Wipeout XL
    6. Wipeout 3
    1. F-Zero X
    2. Star Wars Episode I: Racer
    3. Wipeout 64
    General Arcade Racing
    1. Burning Road
    2. C3 Racing
    3. Explosive Racing
    4. Moto Racer
    5. Motorhead
    6. Nascar Rumble
    7. Ray Tracers
    8. Road Rash: Jailbreak
    9. Runabout 2
    10. Tank Racer
    11. Total Drivin
    12. Vanishing Point
    1. Beetle Adventure Racing
    2. Cruis'n World
    3. Multi Racing Championship
    4. Road Rash 64
    5. Roadsters
    6. Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
    7. San Francisco Rush 2049
    8. Stunt Racer 64
    9. Top Gear Overdrive
    GT Arcade
    1. JGTC: All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship
    GT Simulation
    1. Gran Turismo 2
    2. GT Straight Victory
    1. World Driver Championship
    Highway Battle
    1. Naniwa Wangan Battle
    2. Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
    3. Need for Speed: High Stakes
    4. Option Tuning Car Battle
    5. Over Drivin' Skyline Memorial
    6. Porsche Challenge
    7. Racing Lagoon
    8. Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed
    9. Shutokou Battle R
    10. Test Drive 6
    11. Wangan Trial
    Indy Car
    1. CART World Series
    1. Indy Racing 2000
    Jet Ski
    1. Wave Race 64
    Kart Racing
    1. Crash Team Racing
    2. Motor Toon Grand Prix
    3. Motor Toon Grand Prix 2
    4. Muppet RaceMania
    5. Speed Freaks
    6. Wreckin Crew
    1. Diddy Kong Racing
    2. F-Zero X
    3. Mario Kart 64
    4. Mickey's Speedway USA
    Motocross
    1. Championship Motocross 2001 Featuring Ricky Carmichael
    2. Supercross Circuit
    1. Excitebike 64
    On-Foot
    1. Gekisou TomaRunner
    2. Gekitotsu Toma L'Arc: Tomarunner vs L'Arc-en-Ciel
    3. Pepsiman
    4. Running Wild
    Open World/Mission-Based
    1. Crime Killer
    2. Driver
    3. World's Scariest Police Chases
    Rally Simulation
    1. Colin McRae Rally
    2. Colin McRae Rally 2.0
    1. Top Gear Rally 2
    Rally Arcade
    1. Rally Cross
    2. Rally de Africa
    3. Rally de Europe
    4. V-Rally Championship Edition 2
    1. Top Gear Rally
    2. Rally Challenge 2000
    Snowmobile
    1. Polaris SnoCross
    2. Sled Storm
    1. Polaris SnoCross
    Top-Down/Isometric
    1. GT Kai: All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship
    2. Micro Maniacs
    3. Speedster
    Touge
    1. Racingroovy VS
    2. Rage Racer
    3. Ridge Racer Revolution
    4. Ridge Racer Turbo
    5. Ridge Racer Type 4
    6. Side by Side Special 2000
    1. Ridge Racer 64
    Touring Car
    1. J's Racing
    2. TOCA 2 Touring Car Challenge
    3. WTC: World Touring Championship
    Toy/RC
    1. Choro Q 2
    2. Choro Q 3
    3. Circuit Breakers
    4. Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
    5. RC de Go!
    6. RC Revenge
    1. Choro Q 64 2
    2. Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
    Last edited by Barone; 10-31-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    I'm not sure why so many people on this Sega forum like the Playstation (including you, apparently), but whatever... (N64 > Saturn > PS1!)
    Why wouldn't they, other than hating Sony for being better at marketing hardware than Sega or Nintendo, and pretty much helping Sega exit the market much quicker than they would have if it was just NEC and Nintendo that they were competing with. I don't see how anyone can defend the N64 (pretty much was the beginning of bad 3rd party support for Nintendo consoles) with it's over-priced carts, blurry graphics, goofy layout for a controller and its lack of library diversity. The N64 would be Nintendo's worst console, if not for the crappy Wii.

What is not to like about the Playstation?

A) It has a much better and more diverse library than the N64 and Saturn.

B) It has compilations of some of Square's best RPGs from the SNES, and its large library of RPGs makes it a must own for fans of that genre.

C) It has so many titles for each genre. You'd be hard pressed to not find a good game in a genre you like.

D) It was way more affordable than any PC you could build at the time, and it performed better than a PC until late 1996, when 3DFX finally release their 1st 3D graphics excelerator.

Choosing to play the PS1 version over the PC version would be like preferring to play some multiplatform game on the PS1 over the Dreamcast or PS2 for no good reason... except worse, because the DC can't do resolutions or framerates anywhere near what MR1 and MR2 will play at on modern computers! I mean, if someone can't play PC games then the PS1 versions are the only choice by default (and definitely play them!), but for anyone who can, get them on PC. Both games are available on www.gog.com, so you don't need to hunt down original disc copies like the ones I have. And of course on PS1 you're stuck with 8 bikes per race only, while on PC you can double that if you want. One of the things that makes the Moto Racer games what they are are the impressive graphics for the time, though, and you lose that on Playstation.
    Let's all burn our consoles on the front lawn. There's no reason to own any of them, because the PC exists!

That's such a copout bullshit reply. I have 2 PCs (yes, one in the living room) that will shit all over the PS4 and Xbox One. It still doesn't mean that I need to buy every game on PC, just because it will look better.
    Last edited by gamevet; 10-26-2015 at 07:24 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Open World/Mission-Based

1. Crime Killer
    2. Driver
    What do you think of The Italian Job? I haven't played it much (and not in several years), but a few people have called it a hidden gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Well, this is how I see it in terms of what is actually good/worth playing in the PS1's and N64's racing libraries:

Sub-Genre Playstation Nintendo 64
    4X4
    1. 4X4 World Trophy
    2. Hardcore 4x4
    Aircraft
    1. Air Race Championship
    2. N.Gen Racing
    Boat
    1. Choro Q Marine: Q-Boat
    2. Dead In the Water
    3. Hydro Thunder
    4. Rapid Racer
    1. Hydro Thunder
    Combat
    2. Cyber Sled
    3. Pop'n Tanks!
    4. Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
    5. Twisted Metal 2
    6. Vigilante 8
    7. Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
    2. Vigilante 8
    3. Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
    Demolition
    1. Demolition Racer
    2. Destruction Derby 2
    3. Destruction Derby Raw
    1. Destruction Derby 64
    Formula 1
    1. Formula 1 Championship Edition
    2. Formula One 2001
    1. F-1 World Grand Prix II
    Futuristic
    1. Firebugs
      Red Asphalt
    2. Rollcage Stage II
    3. Streak: Hoverboard Racing
    4. Wipeout XL
    5. Wipeout 3
    1. F-Zero X
    2. Star Wars Episode I: Racer
    3. Wipeout 64
    General Arcade Racing
    1. Burning Road
    2. C3 Racing
    3. Explosive Racing
    4. Moto Racer
    5. Motorhead
    6. Nascar Rumble
    7. Ray Tracers
    8. Road Rash: Jailbreak
    9. Runabout 2
    10. Tank Racer
    11. Total Drivin
    12. Vanishing Point
    1. Beetle Adventure Racing
    2. Cruis'n World
    3. Multi Racing Championship
    4. Road Rash 64
    5. Roadsters
    6. Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
    7. San Francisco Rush 2049
    8. Stunt Racer 64
    9. Top Gear Overdrive
    GT Arcade
    1. JGTC: All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship
    GT Simulation
    1. Gran Turismo 2
    2. GT Straight Victory
    1. World Driver Championship
    Highway Battle
    1. Naniwa Wangan Battle
    2. Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
    3. Need for Speed: High Stakes
    4. Option Tuning Car Battle
    5. Over Drivin' Skyline Memorial
    6. Racing Lagoon
    7. Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed
    8. Shutokou Battle R
    9. Wangan Trial
    Indy Car
    1. CART World Series
    1. Indy Racing 2000
    Jet Ski
    1. Wave Race 64
    Kart Racing
    1. Crash Team Racing
    2. Motor Toon Grand Prix
    3. Motor Toon Grand Prix 2
    4. Muppet RaceMania
    5. Speed Freaks
    6. Wreckin Crew
    1. Diddy Kong Racing
    2. F-Zero X
    3. Mario Kart 64
    4. Mickey's Speedway USA
    Motocross
    1. Championship Motocross 2001 Featuring Ricky Carmichael
    2. Supercross Circuit
    1. Excitebike 64
    On-Foot
    1. Gekisou TomaRunner
    2. Gekitotsu Toma L'Arc: Tomarunner vs L'Arc-en-Ciel
    3. Pepsiman
    4. Running Wild
    Open World/Mission-Based
    1. Crime Killer
    2. Driver
    Rally Simulation
    1. Colin McRae Rally
    2. Colin McRae Rally 2.0
    1. Top Gear Rally 2
    Rally Arcade
    1. Rally Cross
    2. Rally de Africa
    3. Rally de Europe
    4. V-Rally Championship Edition 2
    1. Top Gear Rally
    2. Rally Challenge 2000
    Snowmobile
    1. Polaris SnoCross
    2. Sled Storm
    1. Polaris SnoCross
    Top-Down/Isometric
    1. GT Kai: All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship
    2. Micro Maniacs
    3. Speedster
    Touge
    1. Racingroovy VS
    2. Rage Racer
    3. Ridge Racer Revolution
    4. Ridge Racer Turbo
    5. Ridge Racer Type 4
    6. Side by Side Special 2000
    1. Ridge Racer 64
    Touring Car
    1. J's Racing
    2. TOCA 2 Touring Car Challenge
    3. WTC: World Touring Championship
    Toy/RC
    1. Choro Q 2
    2. Choro Q 3
    3. Circuit Breakers
    4. Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
    5. RC de Go!
    6. RC Revenge
    1. Choro Q 64 2
    2. Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
    This is an amazing list. It's a shame ABF will still find something to argue with it about.
    05/05/15

I'd rep Barone if I could. It's an excellent list.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Already done.
    05/05/15

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

A Black Falcon... wtf??? I'll play whatever I think is fun, on whatever platform. I gave my reasons why I liked a specific port, and they weren't for you pick apart.

If you don't understand the whole nostalgia invoked attachment thing, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you should join a ZX Speccy forum and explain to all them why they're foolish for playing their belovedly inferior ports and games. I'm sure they'd love that.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    What do you think of The Italian Job? I haven't played it much (and not in several years), but a few people have called it a hidden gem.
    I like its gameplay and it could have made the list but if I'm to play something which will drag along and feel slow at times, I'd rather play Driver instead (hehehe).
    AFAIK, The Italian Job is based on Crime Killer's engine and I like it much better on Crime Killer itself; it was developed to be fast and filled with lighting effects not to be used for long draw distance and regular daytime lighting like in The Italian Job IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    This is an amazing list. It's a shame ABF will still find something to argue with it about.
    Thanks for the rep.
    He certainly will but likely never with consistent arguments.

Thanks, I hope it's useful in terms of providing a clear overview of what is covered and not covered on each side.

A Black Falcon... wtf???
    Don't bother.
    I've said it several times already but, then again, it simply doesn't feel like his declared age is for real. Some of his comments and views are completely incompatible with someone who is supposed to have a grasp on 90s PC gaming (like he claims to have).
    He is always trying to knock anything non-Nintendo with the cheapest and lamest excuses; and it gets much worse when the N64 is involved (he always bring it up by himself anyway, lol).

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

I don't like the Ridge Racer series in general, that's why I don't talk about RR64. The game is okay. RR64 was developed by Nintendo's first-party studio NST, and it was their first home console game -- the studios' first few games were GBC games. The game has three tracks, each with three variants. Track 1 is the track from the first PS1 game, with a new third variant added. Track 2 is the Ridge Racer Revolution track, with its 3 variants. And track 3 is new. So, the game has more tracks than the first three PS1 games each do, but less than R4. Visually, RR64 looks fantastic. The game has great graphics, and they did a nice job improving the graphics versus the first three PS1 games, though when comparing R4 to RR64 it's a closer case -- R4 is one of the PS1's better-looking games. I have said before that I like RR64's look more than R4's, but I can understand why series fans often seem to think differently.

However... Control-wise, yeah, as has been pointed out RR64 is more like the first three games than it is R4. It's got those weird automated drifts that the early RR games have. I've never liked it much. Sure, you sort of get used to it eventually, but I still dislike Ridge Racer handling. The game also has somewhat awful collision detection; a common problem in racing games back then sure, but it hurts. The game is also a bit cruel with how narrow the tracks are -- you often need to not hit the sides in order to win, which is hard while you are drifting around. It's often tough to time when to end a drift so that you're pointing forwards and not straight at a wall. I also dislike the game design -- you must win every race, first place only, to progress to the next one in the championship, and the game starts you like half a lap or more behind the leader, so if you race perfectly maybe you just barely catch them at the end. While I have sometimes liked a game with that design -- I love Hydro Thunder and it does that -- usually I don't like it, and I definitely don't in the Ridge Racer games. I'd much rather have a normal race against other cars that start at the line together. Also, even with 3 variants each, 3 tracks is still a very small number. Sure, it's triple or more than triple the number each of the first three PS1 games has, but it's still not many.

I got RR64 back in 2000 or 2001, and thought it was good and nice-looking, but quite difficult and frustrating. I probably like it a bit less now than I did then, but it's okay, I guess... but the problem isn't really the game, it's the series in general. NST did a good job making a Ridge Racer game... but I'd rather see an original title without Ridge Racer drifting and bad physics, and with more content, more normal races instead of chase-the-leader stuff, etc.

Why is there no Ridge Racer on the PS4?

it sucks that all the franchises we grew up on, are either dead, or no where as good (Mario).
    I think the series petered out with Ridge Racers 6 and 7 on the 360 and PS3. Remember that "Riiidge Racer!" moment at E3 in, like, 2006 or 2007? People didn't care about the series anymore, and still don't. Took them long enough, it never was a good series to begin with.

Why wouldn't they, other than hating Sony for being better at marketing hardware than Sega or Nintendo, and pretty much helping Sega exit the market much quicker than they would have if it was just NEC and Nintendo that they were competing with.
    Those are pretty good reasons, though! Some Sony person even boasted at some point about how they helped drive Sega out of the hardware business, if I remember right. Sony killing Sega is certainly one of the reasons I dislike them and their consoles, along with what they did to Nintendo.

I don't see how anyone can defend the N64 (pretty much was the beginning of bad 3rd party support for Nintendo consoles) with it's over-priced carts, blurry graphics, goofy layout for a controller and its lack of library diversity. The N64 would be Nintendo's worst console, if not for the crappy Wii.
    Oh come on, you know better than to say "I don't see how anyone can defend". You do see, I've countered all such arguments many times before.

What is not to like about the Playstation?

A) It has a much better and more diverse library than the N64 and Saturn.

B) It has compilations of some of Square's best RPGs from the SNES, and its large library of RPGs makes it a must own for fans of that genre.

C) It has so many titles for each genre. You'd be hard pressed to not find a good game in a genre you like.

D) It was way more affordable than any PC you could build at the time, and it performed better than a PC until late 1996, when 3DFX finally release their 1st 3D graphics excelerator.
    A) Breadth but depth! The argument here of course for the N64 or Saturn is in quality over quantity, and I really do think it is valid. Also, if you like the kinds of games the N64 or Saturn has a lot, do you really need the massive variety of the PS1? Not everyone needs or wants to play every kind of game.

B) Sure, for Japanese RPG fans of course the PS1 is the best system that generation.

C) See A, lots of games doesn't mean those games are all actually worth playing over the smaller but higher-quality libraries on the other systems.

D) All consoles are cheaper than PCs, so this point is nothing special. N64 and Saturn are cheaper than a PC as well.

Let's all burn our consoles on the front lawn. There's no reason to own any of them, because the PC exists!

That's such a copout bullshit reply. I have 2 PCs (yes, one in the living room) that will shit all over the PS4 and Xbox One. It still doesn't mean that I need to buy every game on PC, just because it will look better.
    I like games on consoles, computers, and handhelds. All three are great ways to play games. However, some games are better on one of those three kinds of systems than the others. Moto Racer or, say, Starcraft are better on PC than consoles. Fire Emblem I think is better on handhelds than consoles. Platformers, those are usually best on consoles. Etc. The graphical gulf between the PS1 and PC versions of Moto Racer is large, and this does matter since Moto Racer was one of those early titles that REALLY showed off how great 3DFX graphics could look. What platform a game is best on depends on the game. Some PC ports are worse than the console versions -- Beyond Good & Evil stands out here offhand, that PC port was very disappointing. Get it for Gamecube, Xbox, or the modern downloadable re-release on console download stores, not PC. But Moto Racer is a PC-first game that later got a console port. The platform a game is first developed for often ends up with the best version...
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 10-27-2015 at 03:30 AM.

Hero of Algol

Having played both, I can say the PSX version runs at a very high frame rate (probably 60fps) and the controls are excellent. The PSX was a better pad for gaming than anything on the PC when MotoRacer came out. I played the game on all difficulties and unlocked everything in the PSX one. I also played it two play on a big screen TV versus some small PC monitor. Kicking back on the couch with a friend, playing this game on a big screen - made it the better option than the PC one IMO. The racing is fast, so the PSX lesser graphics aren't as noticeable. I played the second one.. it just didn't have the same fun factor. To this day, I have no problem picking up the game and playing it - crappy PSX graphics and all. And I can't say that about many 3D games from that era (PSX, Saturn, N64, etc).
    Some interesting points to bring up while ABF keeps saying nonsense shit:

- The PS1 version of Moto Racer supports full analog controls through neGcon-compatible controllers and steering wheels.

- PS1 version features improved HUD and race intro (rotating camera, better countdown animation, etc).

- PS1 version has 2P split screen mode (no AI), the PC version doesn't.

- The tracks of the PS1 version have more trackside objects and details then the PC version (Example: on the Speed Bay track there are lampposts (some with transmission lines), more trees and small billboards added to several parts of it).

- PS1 version has transparent skidding smoke while the PC version uses solid white smoke effects (gog.com version too).

- PS1 version has better draw distance than the PC version on several spots an its more consistent in such aspect overall, let's compare:
    Original PC version running on a Voodoo 3

gog.com PC version running on a modern setup

PS1 version

Thread Information