Quantcast

Thread: Montezuma's Revenge

Master System Montezuma's Revenge

Parker Brothers was one of the rare publishers on the Master System, but it was good enough to port one of the best old school platformers ever. Montezuma's Revenge has become a bit pricey, but there's so much great gameplay here that it's absolutely worth the price of admission. Read our full review for more information.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Played this quite a bit on ColecoVision. I didn't even realize it was on the Master System.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Montezuma's Revenge is a great game! I really want the SMS version, it's too bad it's a bit pricey. It definitely looks like the best version of the game. If you want a cheaper game that plays like this, the sequel/remake thing, Montezuma's Return for the Game Boy/GB Color, is pretty fantastic; it's a highly under-rated game that plays just like the classic. It's a really hard, and really good, game, that should get a lot more mentions than it does on lists of the better GBC games. It's not a port of the original game, the level maps are all new, but it's made in the style of the original, and plays great. Of course, the SMS version of the original game plays great as well, but it's a bit pricey... ah well, it does look like a great game. Montezuma's Revenge is one of my most-wanted SMS games for sure, mostly because of how great the GB/C game is.

But from the review:

Due to Nintendo’s archaic restrictions when it came to third parties being able to release games for the NES, namely the “You can only publish for us & no one else” clause, the Master System wasn’t the console to think of when it came to having lots of publishers.
    This really isn't accurate. There are three reasons why the SMS, European SMS games from the '90s excepted, had so few third-party games, and Nintendo is only one of those three reasons.

First, like Nintendo (the first third-party Famicom games didn't release until a year after the FC released because of Nintendo's reluctance to allow other developers onto their platform, and once they did they invented the licensing model of third-party game sales in order to control and make money off of other peoples' games) and Atari (they tried for years to kill third-party games on the 2600, and even later never fully warmed up to the necessity of really trying to get good third-party support) before them, at first Sega thought that they were the only publisher their platform needed. The SG-1000 has no third-party games, and the SMS did not for several years for the same reason -- Sega didn't want them. Sega only started changing this policy in about '87-'88, with Tecmo's third-party games in Japan and Activision and Parker Brothers' in the US.

Second, because of the SG-1000 and SMS's failures in Japan, there weren't third parties pushing them for access, unlike Nintendo; once the Famicom was a hit, other companies wanted in. Sega didn't have that issue in Japan, the region with what would turn out to be many of the best developers of the generation, because their systems in the '80s were not successful there. Why push for access to platforms which were only a small percentage of the market, and which had a strong first party studio releasing games for it?

And third, Nintendo locked up many of the best developers after they started allowing in third parties. By the time Sega followed suit years later, it was too late to win many of them over that generation, thanks to them already building up audiences on the FC/NES that they wanted to stick with, and thanks to Nintendo's illegal anti-competitive practices that helped hurt both Atari and Sega.

So, for the period from '83 to '87, Nintendo has little to do with why there weren't third party games on Sega's consoles, except for that the Famicom was successful from day one while Sega's systems weren't. From the period after that, though, Nintendo's practices did hurt Sega and surely kept them from getting as many third party games as they could have had. But the statement in the review is too simplistic, it wasn't all Nintendo's fault.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I love this game on the Atari 8 bit or anything else it's on. It's on my mega everdrive, but I can't play it because of the Genesis controller issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Is that the same controller issue that affects Wonder Boy in Monster Land? I took a standard, 3-button Genesis controller and cut the grey wire inside. It now works fine with all my MS games.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Is that the same controller issue that affects Wonder Boy in Monster Land? I took a standard, 3-button Genesis controller and cut the grey wire inside. It now works fine with all my MS games.
    Huh... that's interesting. I'm going to have to give this a shot since I'm not too fond of Master System controllers.

I like all versions of Montezuma`s thatI have ever played but just like those other versions this one kicks my ass.

Thread Information